Our "other" Hobbies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I thought I would move discussion on this topic over here, since this is where it belongs, we were digressing a little too much on the "Members Systems" section.

Anyway with all the car talk, etc that has been posted as of late, for me it has always been "the project", wether restoring as in my '55 Chevy and '84 Porsche 911 or building '86 Monte SS for drag racing. Well their all gone now and for the time being my outdoor Garden RR is the focus of my on going projects and tinkering. As far as cars the Honda S2000 is the only thing left in the stable, but you know what, it's kinda nice just to put gas in it, drive it
and enjoy it !

The Pic below is of our Pocono Northern RR, with over a 1000' of track, that's one of my live steam engines, a two cyl "Shay". It's a model of a gear driven locomotive that was used primarily in the logging industry during the first half of the twentith century.

Attachments

• PICT0192.JPG
    PICT0192.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Nice thread Dave

Of course living in Colorado I tend to get outdoors a lot. It's snowshoe season right now, but my greatest passion is riding mountain bikes. I don't have any "action" shots, but here's a picture of my old school (hardtail) handmade Yeti ARC. I've had this bike since the days when I used to race (too old and fat now) and it's still more bike than I am rider.

Attachments

• Yeti.jpg
    Yeti.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 438
My other hobby is an indoor one. I love to paint - even minored in it. Here is a fairly large canvas that hangs in my listening room. It's about 2.5' X 6.5'. Obviously non-figurative, but inspired by music. I listened to nothing but symphonic music while I painted this.

Attachments

• Painting.jpg
    Painting.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 433
German Trains...

I thought I would move discussion on this topic over here, since this is where it belongs, we were digressing a little too much on the "Members Systems" section.

Anyway with all the car talk etc that has been posted as of late for me it has always been "the project", wether restoring as in my '55 Chevy and '84 Porsche 911 or building '86 Monte SS for drag racing. Well their all gone now and for the time being my outdoor Garden RR is the focus of my on going projects and tinkering. As far as cars the Honda S2000 is the only thing left in the stable, but you know what, it's kinda nice just to put gas in it, drive it
and enjoy it !
Dave,

I've been meaning to share this photo with you... It is amazing what this enthusiast has accomplished with his WWII German to scale train park. Great enjoyment. :D

Attachments

• Model Train.jpg
    Model Train.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 367
Beautiful

My other hobby is an indoor one. I love to paint - even minored in it. Here is a fairly large canvas that hangs in my listening room. It's about 2.5' X 6.5'. Obviously non-figurative, but inspired by music. I listened to nothing but symphonic music while I painted this.
Tim,

I can see the Classical influence... ;) Wonderful painting. :D You are quite talented, Tim. Thank you for showing us your beautiful work. :D

Of course living in Colorado I tend to get outdoors a lot. It's snowshoe season right now, but my greatest passion is riding mountain bikes. I don't have any "action" shots, but here's a picture of my old school (hardtail) handmade Yeti ARC. I've had this bike since the days when I used to race (too old and fat now) and it's still more bike than I am rider.

Hey Tim,

WOW.. a Yeti! SWEET bike! I used to ride all the time.. then laziness set in.. I gotta get back on my bike!!!

Here are a couple of shots. First shot is my favorite place to peddle - Lake Chabot. 2nd shot is one of my bikes (I have 3). This one I built from the ground (frame) up over the winter of 2000.

Attachments

• 15 Columbine trail SWEET (Small).JPG
    15 Columbine trail SWEET (Small).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 385
  • P000992 (Small).JPG
    P000992 (Small).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 409
Hey Tim,

WOW.. a Yeti! SWEET bike! I used to ride all the time.. then laziness set in.. I gotta get back on my bike!!!

Here are a couple of shots. First shot is my favorite place to peddle - Lake Chabot. 2nd shot is one of my bikes (I have 3). This one I built from the ground (frame) up over the winter of 2000.

Tom, seeing that trail makes me want to get out and ride RIGHT NOW - except most of my local trails are covered with snow. Sweet looking bike - I didn't even know Kestrel made dual suspension bikes. Are those Magura's I see on it? I also have multiple bikes - my other is a Dean cyclocross bike that I use as a commuter (also too old and fat to race cyclocross anymore). Time in the saddle is much like time listening to music - it takes you to another place, free from whatever worries you may have. Damn, I need to go for a ride!

Last edited:
Dave,

I've been meaning to share this photo with you... It is amazing what this enthusiast has accomplished with his WWII German to scale train park. Great enjoyment. :D

WOW !!!!! Robin is that out your way in Ca ??? If so I've got to put it on travel schedule some day !!

This pic was from Pa Live Steamers, about a half hour drive from my hse.

Attachments

• PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 395
Hey Tim,

Great looking trail, with my luck i'd hit that stump and go ass-over-teakettle !! I enjoy recreational "Rails-to-Trails" riding, my bones are getting to brittle when I crash and burn !

Tim, you didn't tell us you were an aspiring artist when we had lunch, I'm sure Shirley would love to see your work !

Keep the train thing going...

Trains are cool. We collect and operate trains built by the Miniature Train & RR Co back in the 40's and 50's...what started out as one train brought home in boxes and buckets has progressed into three trains and a fully equipped basement machine shop.

Tj

Attachments

• G12.jpg.jpg
    G12.jpg.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 393
Another shot...

Photo from one of our 'open invitation' barbeques this past summer. We set the train up and invite all of our train friends to stop by and go for a ride. Anyone from the M/L group visiting New Jersey is welcome to stop by....but bring your favorite CD's (!)

Tj

Attachments

• G122.jpg.jpg
    G122.jpg.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 380
Nice trains. ^^^^^^^^^^^

My other hobbies include upgrading and modding my PC, and working on my cars. I have a 1968 Ford Mustang with a high performance 425HP 289 and lots of go fast goodies and a 2005 Dodge magnum with a 5.7L (was);) 345hp Hemi.

MagStang.jpg

000_999.jpg

Yeah, Kestrel stopped making that frame a couple of years ago.. I've never seen anyone else riding one, and get constant stares whenever I ride it. Yes on the Maggies.. Best rim brakes ever.. I have them on all of my bikes.

Tom, seeing that trail makes me want to get out and ride RIGHT NOW - except most of my local trails are covered with snow. Sweet looking bike - I didn't even know Kestrel made dual suspension bikes. Are those Magura's I see on it? I also have multiple bikes - my other is a Dean cyclocross bike that I use as a commuter (also too old and fat to race cyclocross anymore). Time in the saddle is much like time listening to music - it takes you to another place, free from whatever worries you may have. Damn, I need to go for a ride!

Tim, you didn't tell us you were an aspiring artist when we had lunch, I'm sure Shirley would love to see your work !

Well, next time you're in Denver I'll have you guys over and she can see quite a few of them...

Attachments

• Three.jpg
    Three.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 214
Nice trains. ^^^^^^^^^^^

My other hobbies include upgrading and modding my PC, and working on my cars. I have a 1968 Ford Mustang with a high performance 425HP 289 and lots of go fast goodies and a 2005 Dodge magnum with a 5.7L (was);) 345hp Hemi.

MagStang.jpg

000_999.jpg
Joe, or should we call you Steve McQueen. Nice Mustang and 425hp?! Oh my! And a Dodge Magum too?? Nice.

Music, Xbox360, Playstation3, Fast cars i don't know how you do it. You are "the man", Joe:rocker:

Will my other hobby is my 2002 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning. I have been modding it since 2002. At the beginning it was mostly cosmetics and little for performance. I take it to many car shows and had dragged raced it for several years until now I just quit racing it and to give it a rest. I love to drive it on Fridays to work and the week ends. Currently she has a fully built motor with all forged Internals, Comp stage 2 cams, custom ported and polished heads with over size valves, Whipple super charger currently putting out 18psi of boost and a few more goodies. With the street tune she is putting down 567HP and 575 FT lbs of torque to the wheels. 0-60 3secs and 1/4 in high 10s. Not bad for a pickup truck that ways @ 4900 lbs. I get a lot of looks when driving it. It sounds like a old school muscle car with it lopping @ idle.

p1.jpg

p3.jpg

whipple1.jpg

p10.jpg

`

Last edited:
Joe, or should we call you Steve McQueen. Nice Mustang and 425hp?! Oh my! And a Dodge Magum too?? Nice.

Music, Xbox360, Playstation3, Fast cars i don't know how you do it. You are "the man", Joe:rocker:

Thanks Chris, and all at 26 years old.:D

Ya I love my toys. :cheers:

EDIT: Yes, the chase scene in BULLITT is my all time favorate chase scene.

Last edited:
Back