Summit Upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pharmacyman

Hi All,
Have just tried the new Quad electrostatics and the Summits and chose the Summits however I heard through a mate that he had heard there was or is an upgraded Summit with better crossover and upgraded diaphragm, is this the case? I haven't purchased yet and would rather wait if there is to be an upgrade.
Cheers

Which Quad did you hear and what did you think it lacked vs the Summit?

Also, regarding your comment of an upgraded Summit... the only thing he could be referring to would be the new modules for the ICE amps within the Summit. Earler Summits had an issue with being driven with some Digital Amps so ML made some modifications to the ICE modules (or something like that).

Joey

PS
:welcome:

Hi Joey, thanks for the welcome.
It was indeed the 2905, I listened to the out going 989s first, through my system which consists of Musical Fidelity KWP power amp, KW pre-amp and modded Tri-vista SACD player and was distinctly unimpressed, however the 2905 brought a big smile to my face, they are great, fast, transparent and with real punchy bass the only drawback was there looks and size, my wife would have had a fit!! and my room dimensions wouldn't accomodate. I love the electrostatic sound though and the summits are almost as good but have great WAF

NB I haven't heard the Summits through my system as the dealer wasn't prepared to travel to see me and my kit is just to heavy to move, so the summits might sound just as good as the quads, will let you know......

NB I haven't heard the Summits through my system as the dealer wasn't prepared to travel to see me and my kit is just to heavy to move, so the summits might sound just as good as the quads, will let you know......

But you have heard the Summits elsewhere though, right?

Joey

Yes, took the MF SACD player and Valhalla interconnects and listened through some krell gear, listened to the Vantage first and they sounded very similar to the Quad 989s, don't think the Krell was in the same league as my kit though

I would love to hear some 2905s, I'm fairly sure only Stats' can satisfy my tastes ;)

Would love to see photos of your setup by the way!

Back