System #25 (Clarity, Cinema i, Grotto, Fresco)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat17

Reaction score
Patrick Deflandre

Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

Clarity, Cinema i, Grotto, Fresco

2003 (2004 for the Frescoes)

Analog Pre-Amplifier: Harman Kardon Signature 1.0; Amplifiers (x2): Harman Kardon Signature 1.3; DVD Universal Player: Denon DVD A-11 (5900); Projector: Sim2 HT 300 Evo

Philips Pronto RU950; Da-Lite Screen

--------------------------------------------------------

Even if there is still room for improvement for the video part of my system, I'm quite satisfied by the result as far as the audio components are concerned. The only digital part remains in the Denon Universal player, which allow through a fully analog system and connections a warm though precise sound to be delivered by the Martin Logans. The front speakers (Clarity, Cinema i and Grotto) has been the 2003 revelation. But still, the system was not satisfactory yet.

I balanced quite a lot for the amplification to be married with the Clarities, and I eventually decided for the high level of current and the audiophile concept of the Harman Kardon Signature series. I also hesitated quite a lot for the surround speakers, and I am really happy with the Frescoes, which are performing quite well both in Home Theater and in multi-channel music listening. Purchasing in the same brand also gives a full acoustic coherence, especially when sound effects are 'travelling' between the speakers.

As a result, the result is quite outstanding!

install31.jpg

Last edited:
Other pictures of the system

Harman Kardon Signature 1.0 and 1.3

electronique1a.jpg

Fresco and rear of the room

install33.jpg

Last edited:
System #25

Love that system !!!!!!!! To me it's "DOUBLE GOOD".... a system that I'm sure sounds good AND looks great in a room... GREAT JOB...

Thanks to both of you!!

ML aesthetics is so impressive that I think they deserve a real effort when they are installed...

This is the only speakers brand that I know for which you can hear from visitors 'how beautiful they are'!! And what magnificent sound they deliver...

It is always good to see a nice clean set-up. Your tapestries make a lot of sense- to answer your question that you posted on my system comments, I would think having something behind the speakers do make sense in order to absorb some of the acoustic reflections and prevent sound from bouncing all over the place. A lot of it also depends on the natural acoustics of your room, whether it needs more dampening or is already over-damped. Visually, a clean look is less distracting, and a simple panel or tapestry like you have does help the sound.

I quite like the unicorn tapestry:) and it reminds me of a research I did over 10 years ago on the Unicorn Tapestries now housed in New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art while I was writing my children's novel.

Good job with the system!

Thanks for the kind words, Jason... :)

JasonLiu said:
It is always good to see a nice clean set-up. Your tapestries make a lot of sense- to answer your question that you posted on my system comments, I would think having something behind the speakers do make sense in order to absorb some of the acoustic reflections and prevent sound from bouncing all over the place.

Being an expatriate, I can't do much to the room unfortunately - we never know precisely how many years we remain in the country where we're assigned. This is why I'm limited to carpets, curtains and... taspestries!

By the way, when I think of it, it is exactly like in the Middle Ages (reference to the tapestries), where the Kings and the most important Lords were changing so often their residence, that all their furniture had to be easy to move...

JasonLiu said:
I quite like the unicorn tapestry:) and it reminds me of a research I did over 10 years ago on the Unicorn Tapestries now housed in New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art while I was writing my children's novel.

You're a connoisseur, Jason! This is the Unicorn indeed... well a flemish partial reproduction of it. I love these tapestries so much that I hanged another one in my room

autreinstall2.jpg

It's quite amazing, when you see that huge piece - I should say pieces - of craftmanship, to figure out that it was at the origin an engagement present...

Its 'normal' location is in the Middle Ages National Museum in France, in a Medieval Convent located downtown Paris...

I've been there contemplating it quite a lot of times... :)

Are the Frescos mounted on the custom ML floor stand? How far behind you do you have them and how far from the sweet spot to each of the surrounds? Have you heard the Vignettes?

Nice system Patrick.

I see you are using Harman Kardon Signature equipment. Did you purchase those a long time ago? I'm using HK 5.1 amps for the rear channels and temp. at the front right now. I'm suprised at the sound they produce for the price that I got them for. :D

attyonline said:
Are the Frescos mounted on the custom ML floor stand? How far behind you do you have them and how far from the sweet spot to each of the surrounds? Have you heard the Vignettes?

Hi Attyonline,

I have fixed them on the wall... as my dealer told me the floor stand dedicated to the Frescos did exist in grey only...

They are positionned approx. 25" behind the listening area (to be used both for HC and SACD listening... which suppose to use different locations).

I'm sorry I've not heard the Vignette...

Last edited:
EricE said:
Nice system Patrick.

I see you are using Harman Kardon Signature equipment. Did you purchase those a long time ago? I'm using HK 5.1 amps for the rear channels and temp. at the front right now. I'm suprised at the sound they produce for the price that I got them for. :D

Thanks Eric!

I purchased the HKS last year... There's a website in Germany still selling them (HKS 1.0 / HKS 2.0 / HKS 1.3). They are refurbished and look really brand new. The problem for you is that they are European models (220 volts).

Updated pictures of my setup, realised after the arrival of the Sim2 300 Evo. This projector is really great. I was also surprised by the Straightwire cable (HDMI / DVI) 16 meters (52.5") without loss! :)

Great set-up Pat. Your system integrates exceptionally well with the room layout.

Thanks SugarMedia, actually, when I was looking for a flat upon my arrival in the country, one of my main concerns (if not the main one) was to find out a living room as suitable as possible to host a home theater. Actually, this is not a home theater integrated in a living room but a living room hidden in a home theater!! :)

Pat- I think it would make for another interesting forum topic to see a few pictures of the town where everyone lives. I'm quite amazed at all the diverse places we represent.

Cheers.

Back