How about Linn amplifiers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isra

Reaction score
Hello from Spain!

I´m a Martin Logan user. I´m trying to get a good [with money limiation:( ] home cinema, specially for music. My system is composed by a Pioneer VSA-AX10 amp, Claritys and Cinema as fronts, a Depth and old Magnat and Technics as rears, using Transparent Cable for speakers.

My next step is to get Vantage, and maybe Summit, for mains and rears, making Clarity rear back speakers. But first than get more Logans I need an amplification that can work with 4 ohm speakers.

This is my question: With amp do you recommend my? I´ve thought in Linn chakra C3200 for mains and C3400 for rears but I haven´t read nothing about this combitation and maybe they are inadequate for Martin Logan´s high exigency for amps, anyone has tried that?. I assume than Krell, McIntosh MC207 and Audio Research 150M are the best, but in the same way they are really expensive.

Sorry for my low English level, and thanks for your answers!

HI Isra,
I'm not really up to date on the current market offerings. But let me offer this.

About a year ago I put together a Dolby 5.1 HT system in my bedroom. All of the speakers are all based on versions of the B&W 805S stand mounted speaker. If you've not heard this speaker-trust me; it's one of the best of the small stand mounted speakers. It's tweeter is outstanding. My system is bi-amped. The system has dual self-powered B&W ASW-800 subs-superb, IMO.

I wanted this system to be good but, with carefully calculated compromises, not overpoweringly expensive. Priority one was music performance. HT was important too but less so.

I chose the Krell KAV-3250 (3 X 250W) power amp to drive the front channels (Left, Center, Right). I also have a Krell KAV-280P preamp working either in the theater bypass mode or switching different sources to the music branch of this system.

Bottom line: I am really impressed with the Krell electronics. They are effortless with great dynamic athleticism. The sound is very smooth on the 805S's. No grain yet the sound is filled with wonderful detail. I find the tonal balance to be very neutral-just like it should be.

I have not tried the Krell’s on my CLSIIA's. This is something that is logistically difficult enough that my lazy body has been putting it off. Everything I have heard come off the 805S’s when driven by the Krell’s indicate that the Krell’s will do very well with Martin Logan stats.

While nothing Krell makes is really inexpensive, the KAV series of components is affordable, for a Krell, that is. I suggest that you take a listen.

Sparky

Rotel's with ML's

I recently did a full upgrade to my system removing a quite good Pioneer VSX-49TX (top of the line a few years back) receiver and replacing it with all Rotel gear.

I used the BIG (size and power) 1090 amp to handle Front left and right duties, and I use the 5 channel 1095 to handle the rest of the 7.X system. The Descent is of course self powered.

I was never happy with the surround processing effects of the Pioneer unit really, but the Rotel RSP1098 does a GREAT job and was easy to set up and to tweak to my tastes.

The amplifiers really brought out great sound, better than I had ever heard before. That goes for both Stereo by-pass mode where the Prodigy get a FULL signal, as well as the other "stereo" modes that incorporate the Sub and the 3 speaker front stage adding the Theater in to the mix.

The amps are quite big in physical size and powerful enough for any ML speakers. They might be on the low side for an MBL 101d/e, but should be fine for any of the ML offerings.

I personally don't like Linn amps, but they are very highly regarded if they suit you. Also have a listen to the Naim stuff, which I like a lot more.

If Krell/Levinson et al are too expensive, many here are getting great results with Classe and Rotel amplification. I am running Classe now, but I also ran my 'logans with a Primare integrated with great results.

I personally don't like Linn amps, but they are very highly regarded if they suit you. Also have a listen to the Naim stuff, which I like a lot more.

If Krell/Levinson et al are too expensive, many here are getting great results with Classe and Rotel amplification. I am running Classe now, but I also ran my 'logans with a Primare integrated with great results.

If you like the Krell sound, but not the price, you may want to look into some of the older Aragon 8008 series amps.

An all Linn system will get your toe tapping that's for sure. I don't know how well they match up with other products though. There is a dealer a couple blocks from my house. If I ever wanted to find out it would be pretty easy.

Amey,

Which Primare integrated were you using & what was your main reason for switching? I'm running my new Aeon i's with Primare's SPA21 with good results. I was surprised to find out that the Logans were more efficient than my previous NHTs. I'm thankful to the salesman who had recommended the Logans as a good match with the SPA21. I really like the results so far, but still think they will soon sound better once I break them in a little more. Sad thing about Primare is that not well known in the US due to the lack of availability and press coverage, many are missing out on the high current amp as well as recent closeout deals. Oh well, at least some of us were lucky enought to pick up them up! :) I must add that the new issue of TAS had a very favorable article on the Primare I-30 and the CD31 which were picked up quickly on Audiogon. Oh, and by the way, have you broken in the Vistas yet? Just wondering how long the break in process takes on the Logans.

Z

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back