Front Projector ~ "Preal" Is Amazing...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
I auditioned the Sony ~ Front Screen Projector called the "Preal", last weekend. OMG, was that picture clear with razor sharp colors and contrast. The Blacks were deep and the whites were brilliant. The picture was marvelous. The Magnolia Hi-Fi store I was auditioning the Preal in had just taken down their Stewart screen and were putting up a Silver screen Stewart model. I tell you the picture the Sony - Pearl projector was putting out was beautiful even on the bear-gray-wall, than most plasma monitors I had just seen. Naturally the installers knew what they were doing as the Pearl had had all the necessary tweaks in order to produce such an amazing picture quality. I was totally blown away... :wow: :banana:

Has anyone else had the same experience with the Sony ~ Pearl or Ruby?

Attachments

• sony-pearl-1.jpg
    sony-pearl-1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 227
I was totally blown away... :wow: :banana:
Has anyone else had the same experience with the Sony ~ Pearl or Ruby?
The current range of HD front projectors I've heard nothing but good things about. The important question for me, anyway, a semi-old Scot, is how much?:confused:

The Cost...

The current range of HD front projectors I've heard nothing but good things about. The important question for me, anyway, a semi-old Scot, is how much?:confused:
Tube60,

The Pearl new is 5K. The Ruby new is 10K... That's without the Stewart silver screen... The Preal sure was impressive, to my eyes... :D

I've read nothing but people falling all over themselves gushing about the Pearl and Ruby :)

I've read nothing but people falling all over themselves gushing about the Pearl and Ruby

Wait untill you see what JVC has cooking for 1stQ next year:devil: , if you think the pearl and ruby are good projectors the new JVC will blow your mind.:wow::wow::wow:

Don't Do Me That Way.... Like Joey Did Me ~ A Week Ago... I can't Take It...

Wait untill you see what JVC has cooking for 1stQ next year , if you think the pearl and ruby are good projectors the new JVC will blow your mind
:devil: Joe:devil:

Joe are you related to Joey? Am I going to have to hypnotize you as well...
Now Joe, don't make me come over there...

Please Joe, now you can't just leave me on tender hooks... What do you know that I don't know about what JVC has in store for us in the first quarter of next year??? Is their any Internet information, Web-link or Web-site , which will let us know what to expect form JVC. :drool: Is it an LED light source, with picture quality that rivals the Pearl or the Ruby?

:D Come-on now Joe..., you've got to tell me, what's JVC up to???

What could be better than the Ruby:

Attachments

• Sony Ruby.jpg
    Sony Ruby.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 211
:devil: Joe:devil:

Joe are you related to Joey? Am I going to have to hypnotize you as well...
Now Joe, don't make me come over there...

Please Joe, now you can't just leave me on tender hooks... What do you know that I don't know about what JVC has in store for us in the first quarter of next year??? Is their any Internet information, Web-link or Web-site , which will let us know what to expect form JVC. :drool: Is it an LED light source, with picture quality that rivals the Pearl or the Ruby?

:D Come-on now Joe..., you've got to tell me, what's JVC up to???

What could be better than the Ruby:

LED? Nope, its D-ILA.

By the way does anyone want to buy a used Sony VPL-HS51A front Projector?

Last edited:
Wait Just A Darn Minute....

Joe,

So what you are say you are going to sell you Sony excellent Front Projector for the new JVC...? I thought you liked your Sony VPL-HS51A, Front Projector? What are you doin' man? Joey's got to you hasn't he? I know you've got Joeyitis... That's it... You are going to give it all up for a JVC? :confused:

Well, all I can say is that JVC must be really good... By-the-way what is the D-ILA anyway? Is that code for super awesome, spectacular JVC front projector? What's it all mean? Come-on Joe help me out here, throw me a bone... Everything is topsy-turvy... My world is shaken to the core.... Help me man!:eek: :D

OK, before I unveil the mystery projector let me ask you a question. What is contrast?

Contrast: Contrast increases as the white point increases. Increasing the white point creates a greater difference between white and black.

So the higher the rated contrast ratio the better that picture right? Brighter colors, more realistic and natural looking.

Sony’s VPL-VW50/100 have a contrast ratio of 15,000:1 pretty good right?

Problem is the SXRD panels the Pearl and Ruby use are only rated at around 5,000:1, the 15,000:1 rating comes from a dynamic iris that’s controlled with a motor and software program. On dark seen’s the iris closes down limiting the amount of light from the lamp and giving you better black levels, but on bright seens it opens up. The down side to this is you can get a pumping effect of the iris opening and closing, my HS51A has an iris and it does work but I can see it some times and it can be distracting, but I was prepared for that possibility.

One thing I was not prepared for was how flat light sources can look when the iris closes down. An example of this would be in the Fast and The furious movies, underbody neon kits don’t have that pop to them, they glow you would expect, and wile blacks look BLACK, shadow detail can still be missing. So the dynamic iris is not perfect but I would rather have it then not at all.

So now to the mystery projector. Drum roll please…

JVC’s new DLA-RS1

dlars1_300.jpg

This beast is a full 1920X1080 D-ILA front Projector with a rated contrast ratio of 15,000:1. So what the big deal? It’s completely native, no dynamic iris or optical tricks.

JVC's DLA-RS1 is a breakthrough home theater projector that features full 1920 x 1080p three-chip imaging and a new display technology that achieves a previously unattainable native 15,000:1 contrast ratio without the need for dynamic iris or other artificial means of contrast enhancement. This Reference Series video projector provides home theater enthusiasts with an extraordinary home theater experience at a fraction of the cost of--and with better performance than--high end digital cinemas. While the DLA-RS1 is targeted for the finest home theater installations, its price makes it accessible to a much wider range of home cinema buffs.

Native 1920 x 1080 resolution
D-ILA™ New Three Chip technology
15,000: 1 High Contrast Ratio without using Iris by new optical engine
Outstanding Gray-scale reproduction
Wide Lens Shift Range (V: 80%, H: 34%)
Zoom Lens with 2 times Throw Ratio (1.4:1-2.8:1)
Various Input Signals (2xHDMI, Composite, S-Video, Component)
Fan Noise (27dB)
RS-232C

The DLA-RS1 incorporates JVC's renowned D-ILA (Direct Drive Image Light Amplifier) chip technology in a 3 panel design, eliminating the color separation and "rainbow" effects found in competing technologies. Each of the three D-ILA chips has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 allowing the projector to fully display a full HD 1080p signal without scaling. JVC's new optical design provides a native contrast ratio of more than 15,000 to 1, a first in home cinema projectors.

The DLA-RS1 can be used in a variety of room environments due to its adjustable 80% vertical and 34% horizontal shift lens. The manual zoom lens has a range of 1.4:1 ? 2.8:1, making it suitable for screens up to 200 inches wide in a typical home theater. The projector is finished in a sleek black cabinet with a non-reflective front panel to eliminate light reflections onto the projection screen.

The DLA-RS1 is equipped with an HDMI input and accepts full HD 1080p signals provided by Blu Ray and HD-DVD players. Component and analog inputs are also provided. The unit can be externally operated by popular home theater automation contollers via its RS-232 port.

MSRP is $6295,00

It has a Gennum chip built in for scaling, people that have seen the prototype at CEDIA’06 have said its brighter then the peril, has better shadow detail then the pearl and ruby, and is almost has sharp as a good DLP but still has that smooth picture from SXRD. JVC has a killer projector on there hands that look to take the thrown as king. The more I read about it the more I want it; the RS1 will be my next big purchase when its released around February of next year.

Joe,

So what you are say you are going to sell you Sony excellent Front Projector for the new JVC...? I thought you liked your Sony VPL-HS51A, Front Projector? What are you doin' man? Joey's got to you hasn't he? I know you've got Joeyitis... That's it... You are going to give it all up for a JVC? :confused:

Well, all I can say is that JVC must be really good... By-the-way what is the D-ILA anyway? Is that code for super awesome, spectacular JVC front projector? What's it all mean? Come-on Joe help me out here, throw me a bone... Everything is topsy-turvy... My world is shaken to the core.... Help me man!:eek: :D

Do you know what LCOS is?
Liquid Crystal On Silicon

SXRD is Sony’s version of LCOS, and D-ILA is JVC’s version of LCOS. There all basically the same just spin offs of Lcos.

I love my Sony HS51A but it 1280X720 LCD and I have been waiting for years for SXRD to reach a price point I could afford and I thought the pearl was it till I found out about the RS1 towards the end of last summer.

Joeyitis? Lol

I upgrade my system more then Joey does, I just don’t advertise it as much. (No offence to you Joey) I will keep upgrading my system till I feel it’s done and is as good as it gets. Till then BRING ON THE JVC!

$4k is pretty good considering what it can do!

MSRP on the pearl is $4995.00, $500 more than the pearl, so thats $5500.00.

Still a smoking price for a projector that the only thing that really can touch it is a 1080p DLP 3-chiper and that will set you back about $30,000 and up.

JVC's New DLA-RS1...

Joe,

Well you have once again done all your homework and mine as well... ;) The newest JVC front screen projector the DLA-RS1 sound pretty darn phenomenal. I appreciate your sharing the news about this awesome technology. Well you have succeeded in challenging me once again Joe. You've given me a lot to think about and research further. I feel better now... :p Now I can go to sleep and dream of - true negative 15,000:1 contrast ratio's - dancing in my head... :) Thank you for that Joe. I owe it all to you. :D

Thanks again...

Joe,

Well you have once again done all your homework and mine as well... ;) The newest JVC front screen projector the DLA-RS1 sound pretty darn phenomenal. I appreciate your sharing the news about this awesome technology. Well you have succeeded in challenging me once again Joe. You've given me a lot to think about and research further. I feel better now... :p Now I can go to sleep and dream of - true negative 15,000:1 contrast ratio's - dancing in my head... :) Thank you for that Joe. I owe it all to you. :D

Thanks again...

You asked not too long ago what order you should buy your home theater components in, and I said wait till last to get your video gear, because even thou the ruby was the latest and greatest king of the hill projector at that time, there is always something better just around the corner. Then came the Pearl at $4995 being equal in most areas to the ruby if not better in others and now out of nowhere here comes JVC with the RS1. That will probably only last for so long till Sony looks at what JVC has accomplished with D-ILA on the RS1 and adopts it to SXRD and adds a dynamic iris to achieve somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000:1 contrast. It will never stop; one thing is for sure DLP has a lot of catching up to do.

"Screen Innovations"

Joe,

I think, you are quite correct in your appraisal of the ever changing front screen projector or for that matter ~ audio / visual technological electronic innovations, which seem to be magically and happily for us, occurring all the time. For us as audio / visual consumers trying to keep-up is rather challenging but that's half the fun as well. :D However, it is very challenging to stay abreast of the latest and greatest, especially at a more reasonable price point. So in order to make wise audio / visual investments without having to re-invest and up-grade too soon after making a prudent choice, as I'm sure you would agree, Joe is to make the worthy audio / visual choices a goal to strive for at-any-rate... :)

Anyhow, I wanted to reciprocate a little... When I was auditioning the Pearl on the Stewart newest screen. I made a remark to my salesman, the new screen seemed to give even more clarity and contrast. He said, "Wait, Let me just show you something"... I started thinking 'Oh no - he's gonna try to sell me something'. Well he comes back with a one foot square sample of a totally new screen material, which provided additional contrast improvement and had the added innovation of offering a huge improvement is the angle of view. It was silver in color and made of rigid material like plastic. Additionally, part of the new break-through was you don't have to be in the sitting area to have the reflective angle perfect spot, every where in the room is a perfect spot. The new invention - screen is coming next year by a screen company called - aptly enough, "Screen Innovations". Truly exciting stuff on the horizon that for sure... :D

I've been using a projector for HT and TV for 5 years now. Keep in mind that the deepest black you get is equal to the darkest shade in your room. In a perfect world, you project your data on a highly reflective screen, and the black is represented by an area where the projector does not send any light ray... but your ambient DOES send light rays there. So .... unless you find a projector (yet to be invented) that actually draws away light from the screen instead of sending it there...

I've been using a projector for HT and TV for 5 years now. Keep in mind that the deepest black you get is equal to the darkest shade in your room. In a perfect world, you project your data on a highly reflective screen, and the black is represented by an area where the projector does not send any light ray... but your ambient DOES send light rays there. So .... unless you find a projector (yet to be invented) that actually draws away light from the screen instead of sending it there...

Ideally you want your room to be a bat cave, flat black walls, carpet, and ceiling. Videophiles go as far as blacking out all their components LEDs, to kill every possible light source in their room. The reference standard for front projection has always been CRT projectors; if a CRT can have dark inky blacks then so can a digital projector (someday). From the reports I have read off the AVSforum, people have said the RS1’s blacks were almost completely black (very little glow), that was until someone discovered that rope lights in the back of the demo room was slightly illuminating the screen. The JVC rep temporally turned them off, and the blacks were inky black, very “CRT like” was the comment.

The RS1 demo room had black felt going around the screen, reports were with all lights off in the room (including rope lights) the RS1’s blacks were a hair brighter then the black felt.

Back