Refinishing rails

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliemike

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to refinish their rails?

I have the maple ones on my SL3s and I was thinking of sanding and staining them a little bit darker.

Yes/no/whatareyouinsane? :)

Thanks Craig. I tried searching for refinishing and got nada.

Tom, you can whack this thread if you want :)

As a wood flooring finisher for years ! I would water pop the maple for a darker appearance and then use a aniline dye first then a oil based stain not just a junk like Minwax .Then spray them with nitrocellulose lacquer or a conversion varnish.

The water popping will get ya that real dark look and the dye will give depth and stain will blend it all in for a rich deep look . Maple can be a bear to stain !

As a wood flooring finisher for years ! I would water pop the maple for a darker appearance and then use a aniline dye first then a oil based stain not just a junk like Minwax .Then spray them with nitrocellulose lacquer or a conversion varnish.

The water popping will get ya that real dark look and the dye will give depth and stain will blend it all in for a rich deep look . Maple can be a bear to stain !

I wonder if I can find someone around DC to do this for me for a price (of course). I definitely want to go with something darker ... Like a deep cherry or mahogany.

Im sure you can but its a deal where its is such a small job most cabinet or furniture refinishing shops will charge a flat rate ! At that there may be say $300.00 in them for a flat rate ! Is it worth it to ya ?

Im sure you can but its a deal where its is such a small job most cabinet or furniture refinishing shops will charge a flat rate ! At that there may be say $300.00 in them for a flat rate ! Is it worth it to ya ?

Actually, I may have found another avenue but $300 for refinishing maple isn't worth it to me.

Where they East Indian Rosewood or something like that then hell yes. I have owned a couple Taylor guitars and simply love the woods and stains they use on their 9xx series and Koa series guitars.

Actually, I may have found another avenue but $300 for refinishing maple isn't worth it to me.

Where they East Indian Rosewood or something like that then hell yes. I have owned a couple Taylor guitars and simply love the woods and stains they use on their 9xx series and Koa series guitars.

IMHO I still think nothing beats the granite corian I had on my Sequels. Wonder if they're still available form ML.

Ben

I seen them before there was a guy here in MI that had a set .

I will be making a new set out of some weird wood as ML is out of stock on Quest rails ! They have the dark oak only ! (YUK)I may go with a cream grill cover and a dark exotic wood as the panels are that new bronze color!

You never know ! Its a thought !

Love those Taylor guitars. I have a Collings that is UNREAL (tone wise) but I do like the look of the 9XX's! I prefer the sound of the Western Red Cedar 5XX's though.

BTW, the left over rails are on sale at the ML website RIGHT NOW! Unfortunately they did NOT have any Piano black Ascent or Prodigy/Odessy rails or I would have bought them!

Back