The Moody Blues / Days of Future Passed (DTS 5.1)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Artist / Title: The Moody Blues / Days of Future Passed (DTS 5.1)
Year of Release: 1967 (DTS Decoded release 1997)
Record Label: Digital Sound
Genre: Rock

Days of Future Passed - CD (DTS 5.1) is currently the third incarnation I have owned, of this Rock n' Roll classic... Naturally, I owned the LP and regular CD versions prior. It goes without saying I cherish ever lovely song on this CD. I've grown-up with it since I was.... :p a very young thing. The reason I purchased this version was for my ears. I just wanted to treat my ears to the surround DTS 5.1 multi-channel glory of it all.

:D Every song is a wonderful joyous experience on this theme CD.

1. Day Begins, The
2. Dawn: Dawn Is A Feeling
3. Morning: Another Morning, The
4. Lunch Break: Peak Hour
5. Afternoon: Forever Afternoon, The (Tuesday?) Time To Get Away
6. Evening: The Sun Set: Twilight Time
7. Night: Nights In White Satin, The

My favorite cool Rock n' Roll poem is here as well, before and after the great 'Nights In White Satin', remember this brilliant bit...

(Prelude: "Spoken")

Cold hearted Orb that rules the night,
removes the colors from our sight.
Red is gray and yellow white,
but we decide what is right,
and which is an illusion?
Pin-prick holes in a colorless sky,
let insipid figures of light pass by.
The mighty light of ten thousand suns,
challenges infinity and is soon gone.
Night time, to some a brief interlude,
to others the far of solitude.
Brave Helios wake up your steeds,
bring the warmth the countryside needs.

(Epilogue: "Spoken")

Breath deep the gathering gloom,
watch lights fade from every room.
Bed sitter people look back and lament,
another day's useless energy's spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.
Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
removes the colors from our sight.
Red is gray and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?

This DTS 5.1 CD is the next best thing to the LP, as far as I can think of... I just love how my current ML system for HT blasts out this CD is fine 5.1 style. The multi-channelness totally envelops my ML's in electrostatic in 5.1 bliss... This particular CD can transport you away form everything, especially with the right person and some liquid refreshment, if you know what I mean... ;)

Absolutely, 'Days of Future Passed' in DTS 5.1, receives my highest recommendation. Enjoy this classic Rock CD. :D

Attachments

• Days of Future Passed.jpg
    Days of Future Passed.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 939
There is actually an even better version of this album, the SACD version that came out a couple of months ago.

On a good surround system it is just brilliant.:D

Recommended Recordings

JohnA; good morning, have you heard the SACD because I bought the DTS and was wondering how much better the other sounded. I also have the Mobile Fidelity version which is also great..........thanks

JohnA; good morning, have you heard the SACD because I bought the DTS and was wondering how much better the other sounded. I also have the Mobile Fidelity version which is also great..........thanks
John,
I also would be interested in your thoughts on the differences between the two. I was disappointed with the DTS version and this is one of my all time favorite albums.

Guys, the SACD version is sublime, don't think twice about getting it. Transparent and crisp compared to the DTS version.
It also comes with a well-recorded CD full of extras, that are not 100% garbage (as is usually the case with such optional tracks)

I have a few multichannel SACDs, most are mediocre and some are unacceptably bad.
This is one of the better ones though:D Not in the same class asDark Side of the Moon, but not far either. Certainly a keeper.:cheers:

Disapointed in 5.1 mix

This was the only import vinyl I ever owned. I then got the CD and a few months ago the DTS 5.1.

The source material is great/classic beyond question. The mix is not, I was dissapointed in the mix, and have not listened to this but a few times. I will probably get the 2ch DSS in time.

Guys, the SACD version is sublime, don't think twice about getting it. Transparent and crisp compared to the DTS version.
It also comes with a well-recorded CD full of extras, that are not 100% garbage (as is usually the case with such optional tracks)

I have a few multichannel SACDs, most are mediocre and some are unacceptably bad.
This is one of the better ones though:D Not in the same class asDark Side of the Moon, but not far either. Certainly a keeper.:cheers:

Got the SACD today, I agree with John this version is much better and cleaner version than DTS. I didn't care for the 5.1 mix, The spoken poetry coming from the rear speakers was a nice affect, But the singing from the rear speakers seemed out of place to me. Also when the album ends with the crash of the gong coming from the rear channels I was very disappointed, I would have prefered it coming from the center channel or the fronts and center combined. The Stereo version was outstanding, maybe it's just that I've heard it over the last 3 decades in 2 channel, that thats the only way I can enjoy it. I've attached the link where you can pick it up at Amazon.
Definatly a step above the DTS version.
http://www.amazon.com/Days-Future-P...=pd_bbs_1/102-9284751-6727330?ie=UTF8&s=music

Last edited:
Back