Absorb or reflect behind ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sleepysurf said:
Here's a very interesting new product... diffusor "tiles", apparently made of recycled paper products. Introductory pricing is very reasonable... $30 for a dozen tiles. They might even be paintable, though not sure. They also offer some other abstract designs, but ?? what acoustic properties.

Here's the website...
http://mioculture.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=9
Boy, do I love the look of these tiles! Has anybody used them and to what effect?
Ben

benleeys said:
Boy, do I love the look of these tiles! Has anybody used them and to what effect?
Ben
The price is right and the design is "artsy" enough so that it won't scream "weird audio wall treatment".

I'd be more interested if the site gave a fire-rating for them. If they're simply compressed recycled paper, I'm not sure that I'd want them on my walls. If they're treated with borate or something similar, that would be better.

Odd that this thread exists at this time because I've recently experienced a deteriation in the sound quality of my system. I did this and that, mostly changing the positions of the speakers and after reading the above, experimented with all sorts of ad-hoc wall treatments. Hell, I even reinstalled updated firmware for the pre-amp.
I finally found the culprit: the new plasma TV! The screen, which is between the speakers but further back, is catching and harshly reflecting sound from both speakers into one muddled mess. I can get back most of what I had lost by moving the plasma into the same plane as the speakers but I lose a (relatively) huge amount of living space doing so. Right now, my only solution is to cover the TV with a small blanket when I'm listening to music. Space and layout restraints don't give me any other options. Maybe I'll have a custom slipcover made for it. :mad:

Odd that this thread exists at this time because I've recently experienced a deteriation in the sound quality of my system. I did this and that, mostly changing the positions of the speakers and after reading the above, experimented with all sorts of ad-hoc wall treatments. Hell, I even reinstalled updated firmware for the pre-amp.
I finally found the culprit: the new plasma TV! The screen, which is between the speakers but further back, is catching and harshly reflecting sound from both speakers into one muddled mess. I can get back most of what I had lost by moving the plasma into the same plane as the speakers but I lose a (relatively) huge amount of living space doing so. Right now, my only solution is to cover the TV with a small blanket when I'm listening to music. Space and layout restraints don't give me any other options. Maybe I'll have a custom slipcover made for it. :mad:

Hi,
Why not put the plasma on casters, and just wheel it forward when you want to listen to music?

Peter

Hi,
Why not put the plasma on casters, and just wheel it forward when you want to listen to music?

Peter

Hi Peter,
I hadn't thought of that but I have been hard at work on the issue. First let me say that the listening room is small, probably too small for the speakers (Aeon I) @ 11' x 15' w/ openings, windows, etc. I.e., a small apt. living room. My latest fix used the test disc "Surround Spectacular" and more repositioning the speakers. Speakers are on the narrow wall, about 24" from this wall and ~18" from side walls, with a considerable toe OUT! Judicious placing of drapes fine tunes this setup. Stereo seperation and stage width are now dramatically improved to a point of disbelief about the former setup (more or less SOP for most systems).
One thing I am having concern about is that my preamp is bunged. The whole system sounds flatter and less dynamic than about a month ago, when I was last home to use it. That's when I brought the plasma home and was having issues with hooking up the cable box/preamp/plasma.
Or it could be my hearing is bunged, as i was working in a high noise environment this past month.
Either way, I'm still working on the problem.

Back