Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard I had to chuckle...."coming cold winter months", what the heck does anybody in North Carolina know about COLD winter months, LOL !!

BTW, 19 below zero up at the camp this weekend....that's COLD !!

Twitch,

Yeah, sorry about that. I keep forgetting that there are several members here who live in near-Arctic regions...

But on Friday night, it was 18 down here, and it had been down to 16 earlier in the week, with highs a few days still below freezing. Anything below freezing is cold no matter where you are, and anything below 20 is considered just F-ing rigid down here in NC... It's all relative, bro... ;)

Two years ago, on the day after Christmas, I washed our cars in the driveway down here--it was 77. It hasn't been above 40 for about three weeks,and to be honest, I'm sort of getting tired of it. I don't mind the cold if it would show, but we never get any show down here that sticks. I moved down here to get away from the cold, crappy weather (like in the DC area)...

So much for "global warming", eh?

Last edited:
Well, after posting that link yesterday, I did a "burnt pizza" morning. Not a single bit of digital went through my system. No, it doesn't sound better, but for some reason the music just flowed this morning -

Started off with Osibisa - Osibisa (Great central African tribal rhythms)
Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 - Berlin Philharmonic
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
and finally
Dave Brubeck - Angel Eyes

Attachments

• IMG_0151 (700 x 525).jpg
    IMG_0151 (700 x 525).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
And especially for Bernard - because you complained about my pictures of my music server - is this one more to your liking?

Attachments

• IMG_0155 (700 x 525).jpg
    IMG_0155 (700 x 525).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 157
Started off with Osibisa - Osibisa (Great central African tribal rhythms)

OMG - I was looking at that album a few nights ago in my basement. My brother and I bought it when we were in High school. I would have bet money that I was the only person on this forum that had that album. Now I HAVE to pull it out for a listen.

I've always thought you had great taste Amey, but now there is a new found RESPECT!

(Even if you do have a tin ear - "No it doesn't sound better". AS IF!!!) :devil:

OMG - I was looking at that album a few nights ago in my basement. My brother and I bought it when we were in High school. I would have bet money that I was the only person on this forum that had that album. Now I HAVE to pull it out for a listen.

I've always thought you had great taste Amey, but now there is a new found RESPECT!

(Even if you do have a tin ear - "No it doesn't sound better". AS IF!!!) :devil:

I thought I was the only one with it - hence my short description! Great album.

Sorry I don't have a VPI :rocker: - if you think my Dual 505/Ortofon OM10 sounds better than my digital gear then ........hmmmm........I'll swap it for your VPI!!!

And especially for Bernard - because you complained about my pictures of my music server - is this one more to your liking?
MUCH better, Adam; thank you :bowdown:

I didn't know you had a means to savour burnt pizza! There's hope for you yet ! :music:

We should start a fund for members most in need of upgrades - Tom's digital front end to a Modwright Transporter, Adam's Dual to a VPI etc...

Trouble is... well, obvious really! Who is actually gonna put some money in it?

BTW: I listened to nowt this Sunday AM, but I am going to see Grace Jones tonight, which more than makes up for it!

Brrr, feeling the Winter chill down here in Round Rock. It was 81F (27C for our non-USA members) a couple of days ago, but only reached into the lower 40s (5-6C) yesterday. Luckily, it's heading back up towards the 70s (21-24C) over the next couple of days.
Anywho, I started this morning's listening with one of Neil Young's “Archives Performance Series, Disc 3” entitled, “Massey Hall 1971”. This is an all acoustic set and is definitely a “must have” for Neil's fans. The pressing is stunning in the audiophile sense and the music is like hearing these songs for the first time. It is a very intimate sounding recording (it's like you were sitting front row, center) and I can't say enough good things about this album. I've also got Disc 2 in this series and recommend it also, but this one is my favorite of the two. If you know where I can get the first disc in the series, please let me know – thanks.
461371955_aMpnK-S.jpg

Next up was Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, “Texas Flood”. This reissue has an extra album of songs included. While the song, “Tin Pan Alley” debuted on Stevie's “Texas Twister” album in '84, this record includes a version he recorded with producer John Hammond at this '83 session. This song alone is worth the price of the record, as it is recorded with stunning dynamics and presence. To me, it has far more impact than the '84 commercial version. It is also very interesting to compare the two versions and see the song's development. Note that the version on the “Texas Flood” album is incomplete, though. There are three other songs, not included on the original release, that are included on this release.
461371953_79bVG-S.jpg

Last up was Johnny Winter's “Live Bootleg Series Vol. 1” double vinyl album (all of these were double
vinyl). This is on 180 gram vinyl and is put out by Friday Music. There are some great guitar performances (hey, it's Johnny Winter), but the sound recording quality is hit or miss. Worth it for the playing, but not for the “audiophile” quality.
461371938_GTKeX-S.jpg

Just got some new MoFi. Foghat: Fool for the City SACD. Little Feat: Little Feat Gold CD. The Pixies: Surfer Rosa SACD. The Foghat SACD is stunning. Also the Strawbs: Broken Hearted Bride. New Springsteen CD.

Steve, when did you get the Blue Notes? I'm waiting for the next 4. Was expecting them this week, but they didn't show yet.:mad:

I'm spending time with a few good friends this morning. I started off with "Bill Evans at the Montreaux Jazz Festival" a classic from the Verve catalog. After that I pulled out my copy of Osibisa's self titled LP. This is the one that Adam (Amey01) was taking about last week. Think early Santana, except instead of the Hispanic influence it's all very much African in texture. All of the players are from Ghana, Grenada, Antigua, Trinidad or Nigeria. Very cool music, but unfortunately my pressing has seen better days and it's horribly compressed to boot. It would be very cool if someone came back and re-mastered this one and released it on some fresh vinyl, but I don't think many people other than Adam and I have ever heard of them.

Next up was Sir Paul McCartney in the form of his second effort after leaving the Beatles, "Ram". It's pretty whimsical, but actually sounded pretty good for something I believe he recorded in his barn with Linda and a few guys that would later end up becoming Wings. Steve's (SlowGeezer) post a week or two back pertaining to his most recent release prompted me to pull this one out. Kind of funny to hear Linda singing off key on "Backseat of my Car" (correction, the line is in "Long Haired Lady"), but it almost sounds a little sexier that way. ("Do you love me like you say you're gonna do - or is this the only thing you want me for?")

Right now I'm spinning Echo and The Bunnymen - "Ocean Rain". I'd forgotten what a GREAT album this is. Justin (User211) had one of his famous lyric quotes a few weeks ago referencing Echo and The Bunnymen, so I owe this one to him. This album has some great songs including string arangements on it and was pretty much their last album before they started hitting it relatively big over here in the States. I got to see them at the Rainbow Theater in support of this album. Simply awesome show. Thanks for bringing back some great memories Justin. Ian McCullough does have a way with words...

Under Blue Moon I saw you
So soon you'll take me
Up in your arms
Too late to beg you
Or cancel it though I know it must be
A Killing time
Unwillingly mine

In scarlet nights I saw you
So cooly you kissed me
Your lips a magic world
Your sky all hung with jewels
The Killing Moon
Will come too soon

Fate
Up against your will
Through the thick and thin
He will wait until
You give yourself to him

Echo and The Bunnymen
"The Killing Moon" - Ocean Rain

Attachments

• EvansOsibisa.jpg
    EvansOsibisa.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 116
  • McCartneyEcho.jpg
    McCartneyEcho.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Two from Marvin Gaye on MoFi: What's goin on and Let's get it on.

Great recordings!

The new Springsteen record's not bad either

Cold Sun ~ Dark Shadows

Peter Blegvad ~ Hangman's Hill

Paul Weller ~ Wild Wood

Attachments

• darkshadows.jpg
    darkshadows.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 193939b9cbacfc16.jpg
    193939b9cbacfc16.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 1056597.jpg
    1056597.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 101
Technically this isn't Sunday listening. I heard Andrew Bird at Carnegie Hall last week and have not been able to stop thinking about his sound and gear.

This morning I listened to "Armchair Apocrypha", followed by Stone Temple Pilots on DVD-A. Both are superb recordings.

Here's an image of the Andrew Bird performance. The horns were absolutely mesmerizing! They are custom made 8-foot monsters. Here's a link to the manufacturer: http://www.specimenproducts.com/amps/XLHorn.html

Attachments

• bird_carnegie.jpg
    bird_carnegie.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 98
Pre Super Bowl Listening

A mixed bag this morning. As is traditional here the wife and the girls are out at the Huntington Library and Gardens all day. I get to clean and listen, then watch the Super Bowl.

Holst: Suites for Band (Telarc); Elton John: Elton John (MCA); and Thompson: The Plow That Broke The Plains (Analogue Productions) with others to follow.

Attachments

• Sunday list.jpg
    Sunday list.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 102
Holst: Suites for Band (Telarc).

That Telarc disc represents a lot of "Firsts" for me.

It was the first proper classical album I ever bought for myself once I'd left home and started building my hi-fi. It was the first "digital" recording I ever bought (and the first commercially available if memory serves). And it was the first time I ever went into the record store where I would end up working part time for almost 15 years.

That album is dear to my heart on many levels. I have it on CD too (Oh boy here we go), but for some reason it sounds MUCH better on the LP, even though it's a digital recording. Anyone else observe that with regard to this album?

Latest posts

Back