Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am listening to Susan Wong’s A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES. Got turned on to her on my trip to China last week. This CD just sounds amazing. Just got on E-bay and got 4 more of her CDs. This CD is a must have.

Oooh... I wanna listen, Cherian!

Started off with some Lee Greenwood Christmas music and have settled into some Big Band stuff, Buddy Rich, "Class of '76"

Started off with some Lee Greenwood Christmas music and have settled into some Big Band stuff, Buddy Rich, "Class of '76"

All on vinyl I trust with the new Aries in the house huh Dave?

For me it's been the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E minor, Op.64. Art Davis "A Time Rememberd", Vince Guaraldi Trio "A Charlie Brown Christmas" on the original Fantasy vinyl, and currently a switch to CD and the latest Patricia Barber effort "Mythologies", which is a STUNNING collection of music - possibly her best ever!

Attachments

• pb_myth_lg.jpg
    pb_myth_lg.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 268
Patricia Barber is Tres Cool...

All on vinyl I trust with the new Aries in the house huh Dave?

For me it's been the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E minor, Op.64. Art Davis "A Time Rememberd", Vince Guaraldi Trio "A Charlie Brown Christmas" on the original Fantasy vinyl, and currently a switch to CD and the latest Patricia Barber effort "Mythologies", which is a STUNNING collection of music - possibly her best ever!
Tim,

I am going to give Patricia's "Mythologies" a try... Thanks for the recommendation. ;)

Attachments

• Patricia Barber.jpg
    Patricia Barber.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Yes Tim, the Aries is really starting to impress me now, you know Tim and Robin I don't have any of Ms Barber's recordings but I just might make a purchase after X-mas (assuming Santa puts a gift card or two in my stocking from Accoustic Sounds or The Elusive Disc)

I really love the fact that this thread gets some fresh air every sunday ! As for contributing to the thread, I'd like to mention - in the Big Band category - Ray Anthony with the wonderful (IMHO) "dancing in the dark" album.

Yes Tim, the Aries is really starting to impress me now, you know Tim and Robin I don't have any of Ms Barber's recordings but I just might make a purchase after X-mas (assuming Santa puts a gift card or two in my stocking from Accoustic Sounds or The Elusive Disc)

Dave and Robin - yes, this is a "must own" album. I should do a nice review of it for the Recommended Recordings" section. Patricia Barber is the first recording artist to ever be given a grant from the Guggenheim Foundation, and this album is the thematic result. Each of the songs is based upon a different character from greek mythology, and the musical structures are as varied as the material. While all of the songs are jazz based, some have very infectious, soulful grooves. Others have great guitar solo's that wouldn't be out of place on a hard rock album, and there's even a nod to hip hop and gospel. This easily gets my nod for best jazz album of the year if not best album period. I'd be very suprised if you didn't like this album. To top it all off - the recording is nothing short of spectacular - your Logans will SING!

Hey Robin / Tim, I just "googled' up Ms Barber's "Mythologies" alblum and listen to the sample cuts, very nice, it will be on my wish list !!!

Got up early and put on Susan Wong's Close To You XRCD. The is one good sounding CD. A great start to a day.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Attachments

• susanwong.jpg
    susanwong.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 195
Woke-up early on a Christmas Eve as well...

Listening to: Christmas Oratorio, Sinfornia In G Major Virtuosi Saxoniae - Ludwig Güttler, Classical Christmas Holiday CD. And a little Willy Nelson's "Pretty Paper". :D

Still trying to decide which way to cook the Prime Rib Roast ! and listening to
A jazz Piano Christmas - The BeeGie Adair Trio

Listening to Mozart's Complete Works, Brilliant Classics. Vol. 1 - CD 8 :
  • Symphony No. 33 KV 319
  • Symphony No. 34 KV 338
  • Symphony No. 35 KV 385 "Haffner"
Played by the Mozart Akademie Amsterdam, cond. Jaap Ter Linden.

Cheers !

Only one way to cook that 200 degrees till it gets to about 130 at the center then 500 degrees for the last 15 to 20 mins so the outside gets crusty. :rocker:

Still trying to decide which way to cook the Prime Rib Roast ! and listening to
A jazz Piano Christmas - The BeeGie Adair Trio

4 teaspoons coarse salt
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
2 large glove of garlic
1 finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons olive oil

stir together the salt,thyme,pepper,garlic,and lemon peel
pat the roast dry with paper towels.rub the olive oil on the roast,then rub the salt mixture over the roast

cook at 325 degrees,1 hour for each pound

4 teaspoons coarse salt
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
2 large glove of garlic
1 finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons olive oil

stir together the salt,thyme,pepper,garlic,and lemon peel
pat the roast dry with paper towels.rub the olive oil on the roast,then rub the salt mixture over the roast

cook at 325 degrees,1 hour for each pound

WB, My rub was identical with the exception of adding a 1/4 cup of horseraddish. BTW your cooking idea is WAY out of wack !!!!! at the time and temp you suggest it would end up being Shoe Leather !!!

What I ended up doing was 475 for the first 20 min, then down to 325 for three hrs, remove , let stand for twenty minutes carve and serve.

Perfect Med-Rare ....... for a 12 lb roast.

BTW your cooking idea is WAY out of wack !!!!! at the time and temp you suggest it would end up being Shoe Leather !!!

your right about the time we cooked our 7 pound roast for just under 4 hours yesterday,we'll have to try the horseradish next time.

Last day of the year, last Sunday of regular season football - a slight sense of meloncholy in the air - listening to the Mozart "Requiem".

Next up the Stravinski "Firebird" on the Mercury Living Presence reissue; Dorati and the LSO, probably followed by Patricia Barber's "Fortnight in France" that I picked up last week.

Happy New Year to all!;)

Latest posts

Back