Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 45 RPM discs this morning. Respighi's Church Windows on Reference followed by Tafelmusik on the same label. Next up is the AP reissue of Cannonball Adderley's Something Else.

My Sunday morning was an all vinyl morning.

Natalie Merchant "Motherland" and Little Village "Little Village" both on the Music On Vinyl label and excellent!

I'm listening to a couple of different Hi Rez downloads from the Sound Liaison Studio Masters series. Carmen Gomes "Thousand Shades of Blue" and The Paul Berner Band's "Road to Memphis". These are some fantastic sounding 24/96 purist WAV recordings.

Attachments

• Paul Band Milan 200.jpg
    Paul Band Milan 200.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 105
  • SSS1 Milan 200.jpg
    SSS1 Milan 200.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 106
Some rockabilly, some western swing, some traditional and even some tropical.

wt9jjt.jpg

Knopfler's first non-Dire Straits album is lovely, with a sparkling recording to boot.

Blues today to match the grey weather here in SoCal. John Lee Hooker It Serve You Right to Suffer and Billy Holiday Original Recordings.

Not really morning anymore, but this morning I did have a great listen to a piece I'd downloaded from the Linn website yesterday. It's the complete "Bartok Piano Concerto's" with Jean-Effuam Bavouzet and the BBC Philharmonic on Chandos. Complex, dynamic, startling at times, these are works I'd never heard before yesterday. The 24/196 download is nothing short of amazing. Fantastic music!

Attachments

• Bartok Piano.jpg
    Bartok Piano.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 240
All old, all analog, Jim Croce Time in a Bottle, Stevie Wonder Innervisions, CCR Reflections 20 Greatest Hits, Bill Withers Greatest Hits

It's been a while since anyone, including me, has posted on this thread! I'll be reviving it shortly as my new listening room gets finished.

I do have a rather amazing album I've been listening to this morning. Holberg Variations - 1B1 & Erlend Skomsvoll & Christian Ihle Hadland & Jan Bjøranger is a fascinating take on 3 distinct variations of one of my all time favorite pieces, Edvard Grieg's Holberg Suite. The first variation is the fairly typical version for string orchestra. The second is a version transcribed for solo piano that is simply mesmerizing. The third may be my favorite however; it's an arrangement for string orchestra and jazz piano, and a very modern take on the piece that I've listened two twice already this morning. It's spellbinding, subtle and very, very fresh. Seek this one out if you can find it. I've been listening to it on Tidal, but like it well enough I'm searching for a Hi Rez version to download.

Addendum - I just found it on Amazon in both CD as well as vinyl. It's also available on HD Tracks as a 24/96 download. Pulling out my credit card now...

Attachments

• 640x640.jpg
    640x640.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Pretty much a Mahler morning for me. Listening to the Mahler Symphonies 1-9 downloaded in 24/96 from HD Tracks featuring Valery Gergiev conducting the London Symphony Orchestra. Doubt I'll get through them all today, there's 11 hours of music in this package! Not bad for less than $60.00.

Attachments

• HD822231173021_185.jpg
    HD822231173021_185.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 168
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one after seeing her perform live on one of the daytime shows (Kelly and Michael I think?) and it didn't sound good at all, but yesterday I selected Diana Krall's new album "Wallflower" on Tidal and found myself really enjoying her interpretation of songs from the 60's-90's. Downloaded it this morning from HD tracks and listening to it again now.

To be fair, when she did the performance on TV she mentioned that she had pneumonia...

Attachments

• Wallflower_Krall.jpg
    Wallflower_Krall.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 152
Been kind of a "Live" music morning, some of it going back quite a ways. Started with Joe Jackson "Live 1980/86". I'd kind of forgotten how much I really liked Joe Jackson. May have to pull out my vinyl copy of "Joe Jacksons Jumpin' Jive" later.

Probably one of my favorite new albums period, and certainly one of the best "Live" albums I've heard is Sara Bareilles "Brave Enough: Live at the Variety Playhouse". I like the Joe Jackson album for the performances, but it isn't going to win any awards for the quality of the recording. The Bareilles album on the other hand is quite an amazing recording, possessing some of the most realistic piano I've got in my collection. She branches out on other instruments as well; acoustic and electric guitar, ukulele, even an old hand pump organ. This is an artist stripped down to the essence and interacting one on one with an appreciative and enthusiastic audience. She possesses a great voice and an interpretive skill that is intoxicating to listen to. Her version of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" to close the set is pretty much the best I've ever heard. I recommend the DVD as well as it will include some banter with the audience that isn't on the music only version. I downloaded it from HD Tracks, and as I said, the sound is demo quality. I really like this one a LOT.

Attachments

• 51XfF1p9R6L._AA160_.jpg
    51XfF1p9R6L._AA160_.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 140
  • HD886444210614_185.jpg
    HD886444210614_185.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 139
Been listening to a little of everything this Sunday morning, But really digging some Rumer this morning.
Heard her on a Daryl's house episode some time ago. Found her on HD Tracks last year.
Year later and Still love this album. sound is great on all tracks...
image.jpg

Prog Rock Sessions

Following on to a post Tom made the other day I spent some time last night and then again this morning listening to a few different Prog albums I've collected over the years. Started off with the MoFi pressing of King Crimsons "In the Court of the Crimson King". Followed that with another MoFi, Genesis "A Trick of the Tail". After that I moved on to Yes, "Fragile " on an AcousTek pressing, and finally Alan Parsons Project "I Robot" on the MoFi UHQR. The thing about all of these late 70's/early 80's recordings is the extreme amount of compression they used in the studio. While I enjoyed the music a lot, the sound quality with the exception of the UHQR was disappointingly thin and one dimensional. Pity really, because the music itself was really enjoyable.

The Alan Parsons was a revelation, and it made me pull out some of my other UHQR's just now (I have 4 of the 8 that ever made). I have "I Robot" on CD (ripped to my computer), the regular MoFi pressing and this UHQR. The UHQR blows away everything else in every aspect. I was genuinely surprised by the amount of difference to be honest. Why can't they make every LP with this level of expertise?

Attachments

• thumb_DSC06196_1024.JPG
    thumb_DSC06196_1024.JPG
    528.5 KB · Views: 102
The Alan Parsons was a revelation, and it made me pull out some of my other UHQR's just now (I have 4 of the 8 that ever made). I have "I Robot" on CD (ripped to my computer), the regular MoFi pressing and this UHQR. The UHQR blows away everything else in every aspect. I was genuinely surprised by the amount of difference to be honest. Why can't they make every LP with this level of expertise?
Ever heard the I Robot HDAD, Tim? Made from Parsons' personal mastering tapes, it's generally considered the best release, though it's long OOP and now >$100, when you can find one.

Same same for the two other HDAD releases - Turn of a Friendly Card and Eye in the Sky.

Latest posts

Back