Tommy Castro-Right As Rain

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STV

Reaction score
Tommy Castro

Right As Rain
1999 Blind Pig Records
Genre: Blues/Soul
Artist Info: Tommy Castro is a Bay Area bluesman who's accomplished guitar playing has been widely praised, drawing comparisons to Stevie Ray Vaughan and Duane Allman. This is his fourth release on Blind Pig Records.

General Comments

Being a big fan of the Blues, I am always on the look out for great artists. I had never heard of Tommy Castro but found out that he's very well known along the California coast. After reading tons of great reviews on him and his band, I decided to buy one of his CD's. It's a Blues album, but not like any Blues I've heard before, his style is totally different than standard Blues fare. But in this case different is good. Tommy Castro blends high energy Blues Rock with Soul, and the result is not only highly enjoyable but downright fun to listen to. Think James Brown does the Blues. And on three tracks on "Right As Rain" (Like An Angel, Don't Turn Your Heater Down, My Kind Of Woman) he could be a ringer for James Brown.

Sound wise "Right As Rain" is a great recording. From the opening Lucky In Love to the albums last track Kickin' In, this album is up there with the best Blues recordings. All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology, which is an added bonus for ones who have HDCD capable CD players.

For anyone who enjoys listening to Blues music and is looking for a little bit of Soul with their Blues, Tommy Castro's "Right As Rain" is just that, Right As Rain.

SV

Attachments

• Right As Rain.jpg
    Right As Rain.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 424
Tommy Castro

I remember walking back from the San Fran wharf after dinner about 12 years ago and hearing this amazing blues music coming out of the window of a two story building. I followed the music up a fire escape to a little blues club and I could have sworn it was black guy who was singing, it was so soulful, and lo and behold on the stage was one Tommy Castro. I have seen him live 3 or 4 times since then and he always puts on a great show regardless of the venue. I have all of his albums and he has great DVD called Live At The Filmore.

Hey, nice pick.

I saw Tommy Castro and his band play at a small club up here in Anchorage and he blew the roof off. A really nice show.

If your a Castro Fan and haven't heard Walter Trout, give his Live double CD a spin. Similar artists and Trout is a total monster on guitar.

Latest posts

Back