We're having a Chicago Mini-meet!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My analysis of the mini Chicago meet.

I got to Chris’ place after the Bears game. Already I was feeling good because the Bears won 40 to 7. It was a beautiful day in the city mid 60 and sunny. I grabbed a few CDs and headed over to Chris’ place. I knocked on the door and I was greeted by Chris and his lovely fiancé and their 6 month old puppy. This was my first time meeting Chris so I was a bit nervous. It did not take me long to settle in once I saw the Aeons. I could see the quality that ML puts into building their speakers. They are taller than my Scenarios and it looks like they are built a little better. I then pulled out the CDs. We started with Muddy Waters. Chris has a very tough room to set up, 18 foot ceilings and brick and concrete walls. Sitting in the sweet spot I could already tell that the Aeons image better than the Scenarios. The midrange was more dynamic and it seemed to be in my ear longer, however I could definitely tell the system lacked bass. Nothing in my chest you could say. I mentioned this to Chris and he quickly pointed to the Dynamo sub sitting on the floor and still in the box (just moved into his new place a week ago). It did not take us long to unpack it and hook it up. Chris configured it for front firing and placed between his left speaker and amp. We put Muddy Waters back on. It was an instant improvement. I could now feel it hit. The Dynamo sounded much like a Sunfire MK II Sub but without the full punch of the Sunfire. However, I was thinking for the money and size what a great sub. Then I put on my reference song (The Dead Can Dance, Spritchaser, Indus). This song has a strong female voice. It was very typical ML just crystal clear, however this is one CD I know well. I could tell the soundstage was not centered. Again, once Chris has it dialed in, I know it will be tight with a wide sound stage.

After a quick stop off at my place we moved on the Joey’s pad. Joey’s place is decorated in the typical dorm room style. Once you set foot inside you are greeted with green carpet and 2 desks with computers on them, this is it, minimalist at its best. Then we go into his bedroom and the first thing I see are the Summits aluminum finish, tall and wide, just beautiful. The panels must have 150% more surface area than the Scenarios. Joey then let me sit in his coveted sweet spot and he proceeds to play a sampling for MP3 and FLAC off of the computer. It all sounded so good. The sound stage is directly in front of you. It felt so close and full that I could reach out and touch them. The right and left channel separation was good but in the sweet spot coalesced into a full dynamic image. If I shifted my head 1 inch to the left or right the sound stage would alter dramatically. This is how tight Joey had the Summits focused. As Joey mentioned he likes his soundstage close and intimate where I like mine wide and a little distant. The bass from the summit hit hard and tight with no distortion at any volume level (port-less sub box). I have also gained new respect for the Rotal amp it felt as if it has limitless power (2 mono blocks in once chassis). It was unfortunate that I had to go and cut the listening section short. The thing was as I ran my errands I knew I would have to up-grade soon. I contracted “Joeyitis” (true medical term) I just did not realize it was so contagious.

Last edited:
I have been to Manila and Makita City and I too stayed at the Edsa Shangri-la. I like it there very much. I was born in India so I am fine with the heat. I was in Manila for Business and this was a year before I met my wife. :)

Thanks Cherian!

Nice review... any improvements I could make you think? I need and am always open to suggestions!

How was the palpability? The transients? The width of the stage? Height of the stage? The forwardness of some singers (in the stage, beyond speaker plane)?

And... mmm.. Shangrila.. what a nice hotel!

To me the soundstage was a bit too small. However in a room your size I don't tihink you can do any better. Maybe softening the back wall might help. I think what you have going on is something special and it never sounded bright or fatiguing.

Cherian said:
To me the soundstage was a bit too small. However in a room your size I don't tihink you can do any better. Maybe softening the back wall might help. I think what you have going on is something special and it never sounded bright or fatiguing.

Ah yes.... the stage is only as big as the speakers are split. Ideally, I would have 9 feet between speakers have the seat 9 feet away from each panel.

However, the images easily move outside the outer plane of the speakers IMO. I forgot to let you listen to Bob Marley's We're Jammin'. That track has a freaky bell that sounds like it comes from an area 3 feet from the left speaker. Weird....

But the palpability was good? I always try to make sure the system has enough palpability... and I think this is a strong point of the Summits.

theWB said:
Wish I could have made it,sounds like you guys had a great day.Maybe next time around.
Damn you guys are young!!! I definatly would have been the old man in the group. :D

Joey, Pilipino ka ba????

Hey Joey, I didn't know you're Filipino. Good to know a fellow countryman. Maybe we'll meet someday... at the 2007 National Meet?

WB,

Go to Baguio, that's in Northern Luzon. It's cooler there! Have lots of fun!

Rudy

Back