James Hunter- People Gonna Talk

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STV

Reaction score
James Hunter

People Gonna Talk
2006 Rounder Records
Genre: R&B/Soul
Artist Info: James Hunter is a British R&B and Soul singer with a vintage early 1960s sounding style to his music.

General Comments

I ran across this artist one day as I was searching the net for cool new music and decided to give him a listen. Once I sampled his songs I ordered his album and am very happy I did. Who is James Hunter? I thought. I had never heard of him before, but after listening to "People Gonna Talk" wondered why this guy hasn't gotten more recognition. This guy is really good. His style of music takes one back to the early R&B/Soul of the late 50's-early 60's.

But what really got me is that the sound doesn't try to imitate the signature sound from that era, but rather sounds exactly like something that would have been recorded back then (with much more sophisticated recording equipment of course:)) Think Sam Cooke,Sam and Dave, etc. and you'll get an idea of the kind of sound he captures so well. And instead of just doing covers of other artists songs, James Hunter sings all originals on this album.

The music is very easy to listen to and never annoying. Besides being smooth, It's upbeat enough to get you moving. The sound quality on this fine recording sounds amazing on Martin Logans. Since ML's are noted for having some of the best mid-range sound available, Hunters vocals come through with a remarkable presence. His band compliments him wonderfully with excellent Saxophone, Bass, and Drum playing.

If you want a CD to show off just how good your ML's sound, and want some music that won't offend, this is one of those albums. It's also one of those rare albums where every song is a pleasure to listen to (at least to these ears :)). It's good, smooth, and very catchy stuff!

SV

Attachments

• James Hunter.jpg
    James Hunter.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,748

Latest posts

Back