Sunfire making speakers other than subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe he sold his interest, but still has a consulting/designing/marketing role for ?? duration. Will be interesting to see what other products they roll out this year. I, for one, am a Bob Carver "believer" (just need to ignore the schmaltzy marketing cr*p, and frequent snickering in the high-end community).

I too am a big believer in Bob Carver. One look at my system and you would know this. I feel with his engineered products you get good value for the money. I know people have loved his Amazing and AL line of speakers for a long time. I have never owned any of Bob Carver speakers, but this new line might just be the ticket for the bedroom. One maybe my wife can live with. This new line of speakers clearly looks like it was designed for the mass market. I know this was one of the Goals of the new Sunfire Corp.

Last edited:
I am also a Bob Carver fan from years back. He has always been known for creating some phenominal products through the years, (ie Tracking down converter, Magnetic Field Amplification, etc..). His products have been able to produce sound quality rivaling competitors products being sold at ten times the price. This has drawn sneers from many Hi-End manufactures trying to justify their huge pricetags placed on their products. Bob Carver placed the cost vs value aspect in the consumers faces. Most hi-end manufactures would rather consumers not focus on that but rather on perceived value instead.(Which is what most of us with this hobby do...me included)

Anyway, I was really hoping Sunfire would come out with a CD/DVD player with a tube output like the Carver lines did back in the late 80's early 90's.These speakers look pretty cool and based on the ribbon speakers Bob has created in the past probably sound phenominal.

Just my .02 ;)

Last edited:
I have a Carver SD/A-490t as my main CD player from 1991 with tube output. I can say the carver CD player sounds as good as the 2004 CEC CD player. Wish I could get my hands on a Carver C-19 Tube pre-amp. I could not have said it better my self. Carver = good value for the money.

Cherian said:
I have a Carver SD/A-490t as my main CD player from 1991 with tube output. I can say the carver CD player sounds as good as the 2004 CEC CD player. Wish I could get my hands on a Carver C-19 Tube pre-amp. I could not have said it better my self. Carver = good value for the money.

Ahhhh...SD/A-490t was an awesome CD player. I see them from time to time on ebay and audiogon. I'm surprised I haven't bought one yet just to have in my oldies but goodies section. :D I still have an SD/A-360 and a C-17 in their original boxes waiting for an amp to mate with them. I would like to add an M-400t cube to the pair and stick it in my home office.

In storage I have

TFM-22
TFM-25
A-220
A-500X
Lightstar Reference
I even have an autographed by Bob Carver TD-1400 cassette deck.

My system is a carver blast from the past. It all still sounds and looks great. I love the meters.

Cherian said:
In storage I have

TFM-22
TFM-25
A-220
A-500X
Lightstar Reference
I even have an autographed by Bob Carver TD-1400 cassette deck.

My system is a carver blast from the past. It all still sounds and looks great. I love the meters.

WOW! Isn't it amazing the things we hold onto? Drives my wife nuts...Is that Lightstar the amp or pre amp? The Lightstar amp is what immediately drove me to sunfire when the two channel was released in '95 I think. Those amps are still pulling a good dollar at ebay or the like....when you can find them anyway

Its the Lightstar reference amp. I am waiting to move to the burbs :mad: next year. Then I will get the summits and it will run off of the lightstar. My 2 channel man cave in the basement. Its an amazing amp. Can't wait to jam with it again. Too powerful for my little condo.

Cherian said:
Its the Lightstar reference amp. I am waiting to move to the burbs :mad: next year. Then I will get the summits and it will run off of the lightstar. My 2 channel man cave in the basement. Its an amazing amp. Can't wait to jam with it again. Too powerful for my little condo.

Man....it would take all I had inside me not to find an application for that Lightstar in my system somewhere. What a classic! You don't happen to have a pair of silver 7's do you? :D

I saw one on e-bay about 3 months back starting at $3000.00. I bid on it and would have was willing to go as high as $8000.00. But before the auction ended it was gone. I sent the guy and e-mail to ask what happend but never got a reply. I was so bummed. I would kill to own one.

Attachments

• silver7.jpg
    silver7.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,087
Cherian said:
I saw one on e-bay about 3 months back starting at $3000.00. I bid on it and would have was willing to go as high as $8000.00. But before the auction ended it was gone. I sent the guy and e-mail to ask what happend but never got a reply. I was so bummed. I would kill to own one.

Wow! I would be bummed too....If I remember correctly, Bob designed those specifically for his Amazing Loudspeakers because they were so demanding to run. Now that would be a sweet setup for a classic 2 channel system. :D

The Carver car amp is awsome. Very cool.

The Silver 7 was a monster tube amp. When it came out it sold for $20,000.00.
Still would love to own one. I did find a schematic for it on line. Its kind of cool to look at and dream about building.

Attachments

• CarverSilver7A sch.jpg
    CarverSilver7A sch.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 4,011
Last edited:
Carver Stuff

I own the Original Amazing Loudspeakers. I rewired them and upgraded the binding posts.I also added a set of Silver 9t mono blocks. The results were outstanding. The reason I joined this site was to get info on the the big Logan center specifically the Theatre i. I would really like to have one in this system. The bass in these Carvers is so fantastic I wouldn't even consider a sub. I would love to get a chance to hear the ML speakers so I would have a point of comparison.Unfortunately living in New Brunswick Canada I have no access to those speakers. All the high end dealers in this area have disappeared. I would have to travel to Toronto or Montreal to hear Martin Logan. I noticed people had mentioned Carver CD players. Among most Carver fans we agree that Carver did not make good CD players. It was something that the Carver Corp farmed out. I had one in the beginning and was glad to get rid of it.Bob Carver did not have anything to do with designing those things. Mine had Yamaha parts in it. Art

Art,

I believe the Theater I has now been discontinued and probably can be had for a good price now. It has been replaced by the Stage. I have not heard the Stage but a few people on here have one and can give you more insight.

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

The other forum I participate in, PolkAudio.com, is very much into these Amazings. I just saw an ad on the forum the other day for a pair for less than $1000.

If it's as good as everyone says it is, then at the bargain price of what it's selling used, it's a steal.

Joey

My friend had a pair of Amazings and the AL-III. Both are very good speakers however I do not think they can hold a candle to the larger MLs. I will admit the Amazing have very tight bass. 4 or 5 drivers will do that for you. These speakers are getting very old and most will need some work like have the ribbon changed. Still like most Carver stuff great value for the money.

Back