System #141 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_pierre

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Pierre van der Sterren

2. Location: Netherlands

3. ML Model(s): Summit

4. Year Purchased: 2006

5. Mods/Changes: None

6. Associated Electronics:
Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS preamp
Conrad Johnson Premier 11A poweramp
McCormack UDP-1 universal disc player
Onkyo Integra T9090II tuner
Transparent MusicWave Plus Biwire Speaker Cable
Transparent MusicLink Plus Interconnects
Isotek Orion mains filter

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
I have owned Aerius since 1995 (and Magnepans before), but traded these in when purchasing the Summits just last week. I've spent already many hours listening since. Great loudspeaker!

Attachments

• IMG001.JPG
    IMG001.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,863
  • IMG002.JPG
    IMG002.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,750
Hi Pierre:
Welcome to the Summit club (and sundry other ML models ;))

The following two posts may be of interest to you:

1. Back off on the bass controls. I've recently changed my settings to -2 (25hz) and -7 (50hz). I'm still experimenting, but I like what I hear in the midrange. (http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24360&postcount=69)

2. Place a butcher block under the speakers. I now have the spikes going directly into the wood, which sounds better than with floor protectors. (http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22780&postcount=17)

I would love to hear your experience with these tweaks.

Bill.

Thanks for your replies.

Within a couple of hours I already had the 25Hz control down to -3 with the 50Hz still at zero. I am going to leave them this way until there are broken-in. I am not so sure about the the blocks, my listening position is fairly low and I do not want to damage the floor (not while I am still experimenting with the position).

Pierre

Such a nice system.... love the overall look of everything including the Summits and the cabinet below the TV.

Congrats on the Summits!

FYI, I just purchased a USED pair of Summits (off A'gon), and the seller told me it took over 800 hrs for them to fully break in. So, give them some time to really "mature".

If at all possible, I suggest pulling them out from the front wall a bit more, and observe how that changes imaging and bass. Any way to rearrange your furniture so the chair adjacent to the right speaker would allow that?

Update

Have come to a point where my set is not going to change in the near future. About everything since I posted my system on MLO forum has changed... except for my ML Summit.

My next system change will probably be the loudspeakers: I am eagerly awaiting the flagship hybrid model which will replace the Summit-X.

My current system:

Source components:
Playback Designs MPS-3 DAC/CD player
McCormack UDP-1 Universal discplayer
QNAP TS-419P II NAS
ASUS X52F Laptop computer
J-River MC-18 Mediaplayer (license)

Amplification:
Conrad Johnson CT-5 Pre amp
Conrad Johnson Premier 140 Power amp

Loudspeakers:
Martin Logan Summit

Power supply:
PS Audio P5 Power Plant Power Regenerator
Crystal Cable Ultra (4x) Power cable
Silent Wire AC-32 Power cable

Audio Cables:
Kimber Kable KS-1036 (3x) Interlinks
Transparent Audio Musicwave Ultra Speaker cable
Stereovox JC-600 Jumper cables

Audiorack:
Creaktiv Little Reference

Attachments

• 1_2.jpg
    1_2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 993
  • 2_2.jpg
    2_2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 823
  • 3_2.jpg
    3_2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 756
  • 4_2.jpg
    4_2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 928
  • 5_2.jpg
    5_2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 811
Excellent looking system! Nice and clean. Love the cabinet between the speakers. Beautiful wood. Can't wait till I get a bigger place so I can get one too.

Back