Martin Logan Summit. Prodigy/Odyssey replacement. EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I listen to the summit in a show in Paris. They sound very well. But there was to many people to fully appreciate the sound. SO I need to listen the summit in good condition in a retail shop.
But one think is sure; I didn't like the summit design. I am very happy with my Ascent. So I am not going to change for the summit. If I am looking for the sound quality of speaker I am also looking for their design. I just hope ML will not stop to produce Ascent and I also hope that Ascent will benefit of the new panel (I can dream).

Hi ML friends,
I'm back from the 2005 Munich High-End show which takes place from 05/05 till 05/08. And, yes the new Summit speaker was there - two pair, one in the room of the german distributor, the other one in a special audition room of the german magazin AUDIO/STEREOPLAY. I had the chance to listen a comparison test of four speakers : the new B&W 801 D, a JBL horn speaker, the Summit and the Audio Ph. Caldera. Power amp was a Pass Labs stereo.
All I can tell you is that when the Summit came in the room (each speaker pair was removed from the room when demonstrated and next pair came in) and my friend and me listend to the first song (of three same songs for each speaker pair) it was like the wall behind the Summits was removed. Such a transparency and clearness like no other speaker created. There was perhaps a little lack of bass but it was a really big room. I think this will not be a problem in a common living room. So, I'm amazed about this new speaker which lacks the usual ML style. In a black version the hard edges will disappear and after one week you will like the new look - I'm shure.
So, that's my first impression (sorry for my poor English).

Frank K. ( e2 and Aerius )

Last edited:
Stage centre speaker

Has anyone heard anymore about the Stage centre speaker yet - seems to have gone a bit quiet during the launch of the Summit?

Cheers
Marc.

Hummmmm.... SUMMIT....

Attachments

• 140091.jpg
    140091.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5,589
Sorry, but these are butt-ugly. Agree with IKEA comparison

I like contemporary furniture - our house is totally contemporary. However, this new Summit really seems harsh and unattractive to me.
I know I'm probably influenced by what I had become accustomed to seeing (black-on-black SL3's - which, by-the-way, looked great alongside our contemporary furniture)... but these look squat, too angular, and too sharp. The two main pieces of the speaker don't look good together.

I have always thought of ML's entire line as being elegant, and this design is NOT elegant.

Maybe they'll look good in the dark, as someone else mentioned. I can't imagine ever seriously considering these.

Has anyone heard them? I'm sure they sound great - they're ML's, after all! :) , but do they sound great enough to compensate for having to look at them?!?

RadicalEdward said:
Has anyone heard them? I'm sure they sound great - they're ML's, after all! :) , but do they sound great enough to compensate for having to look at them?!?
Yep...you have to see them in person as pictures (as all of here have found out) do not do justice.

Ed,

You have to see them in person and in the veneer/panel combo you prefer before making harsh comments.... the Summits are not done justice via pictures. Besides, have you ever seen a Summit in BEM with Black Airframe?

Atleast for me, this is what contemporary looks like.

mlmaple.jpg

Oh.. and you have to hear it too. It is superb. ;)

Last edited:
RadicalEdward said:
I like contemporary furniture - our house is totally contemporary. However, this new Summit really seems harsh and unattractive to me.
I know I'm probably influenced by what I had become accustomed to seeing (black-on-black SL3's - which, by-the-way, looked great alongside our contemporary furniture)... but these look squat, too angular, and too sharp. The two main pieces of the speaker don't look good together.

I have always thought of ML's entire line as being elegant, and this design is NOT elegant.

Maybe they'll look good in the dark, as someone else mentioned. I can't imagine ever seriously considering these.

Welcome to the club.

You sound just like I did back in January of 2005 when ML first unveiled the summit to us. Being an artist myself, and liking Martin Logan’s for their beautiful looks and gorgeous sound. I found it hard to except the summits boxy looks, but after some time and seeing them in person the look has grown on me, and I can indeed say I like the look. But the fact of the matter is they are a speaker, and a ten thousand dollar speaker at that, they must perform, or there would be know reason to own a pair.

I have heard the summit; I can only describe its sound as breath taking. This is the first speaker that I have heard that did not sound like a speaker. It was so close to true life it was scary. I love the summit, and hope to own a pair someday; the summit is by far the best speaker Martin Logan has built to date.

As a new Summit owner and with the recent announcement that ML has discontinued the Summit, it was a fun experience reading thru this thread and re-living the drama that we all went thru when ML first introduced them!

I'm sure that in 3 years, it'll be fun to re-live the CLX threads!!

Cheers!

Tom.

You can dream... But what it really comes down to is dollars and cents... Or aesthetic values.

I can buy a new set of Summits today, but I'd prefer to see ML take the road back to the 6' designs first.

I want BIG MARTIN LOGANS !!

If the Summit X is big, you'll see my Sequel IIs on Audiogon pretty quick...

~VDR

I want BIG MARTIN LOGANS !!

If the Summit X is big, you'll see my Sequel IIs on Audiogon pretty quick...

~VDR

I enjoyed reading quite a bit of it...

Yup. I want BIG. BIG is GOOD. The can waffle on about how a Summit has more surface area than a Prodigy, but imagine a Prodigy sized speaker with the newer stat tech - it would rule.

The CLX is big enough, however... LOADS of ESL panel area, which makes me happy - I'll take a pair!:eek:

Anyway, should hear the CLX soon at the London show - really looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back