The Sequel IIs are in!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
Yay! I got them this afternoon. Came home from work and two, grungy boxes were waiting for me :)

They look like they're in pretty nice shape. Came in the original boxes which is nice. They were VERY dusty so I rubbed it all down and vacuumed the panels. They probably need a washing though.

The only problems I see thus far are:

1) The woofer panels seem to want to slide down, don't feel properly seated against the 'stat panel.

2) There are little tiny droplets of paint on the stator :( They aren't on the mylar it seems and I have had luck with my fingernails on them, there are only about 3.

Serial number on the back of the box is different than the one at the top of the panels. They read: SS2EH732 on the panel, and SEAC290 on the base. The 2 speakers are sequencial.

I promise to have a few photos up tomorrow when I have some light :D

Hey BD,

congrats.. I bet you're pretty jazzed right now. The older models always have the panels slipping down. My Sequels did and now my reQuests do too. It's a little annoyance.. you can just pull off the rails, remove the panels and woofer covering and remove the double sided tape and replace it. You'll be good to go.

Can't wait to hear how you're enjoying them.

Tom.

Beat_Dominator said:
Serial number on the back of the box is different than the one at the top of the panels. They read: SS2EH732 on the panel, and SEAC290 on the base. The 2 speakers are sequencial.

Congrats.

First, Do as Tom suggests with the replacemnt of the rail foam. This also allows you to fully clean the units.

Second, the serial numbers are fine. Each panel from the factory has a unique number. If you upgrade the panels, your new ones will have their own numbers as well.
The Speaker electronics/base have their own serial numbers.
This thread on the site that explains how to decode the serial numbers.

Congrats on your IIs! :D
When I vacuumed the panel (yes, singular) on mine, I used the hose without the nozzle, and I wrapped my hand round it in such a way that my hand provided a gasket of sorts against the stator, so as not to scratch it. That worked better than a nozzle or brush attachment. My friend, when he received the replacement panels he ordered, only replaced the damaged panel, leaving one in the box. :mad:
Anyway, good luck and enjoy them! I'm certainly enjoying mine!
When you replace the double-sided tape on your lower cover, do the same for the 'stat panels as well. Ironically, the tape on the lower panels was fine on mine, but the 'stat panel's tape was shot. Go figure. Also, check the glue on the woofers. The glue for the surrounds to the basket dried up on mine. My solution was Aleene's Tacky Glue from the craft store. Worked out great. Jim Power emailed me back and let me know that was an excellent idea.
Enjoy!
Ross

I went to the Serial number thread and it appears then mine were made in '89, the first model year of the Sequel IIs. The 'stat panel's have "732" this means that they were replaced?? They sound pretty dang good for something 15+ years old.

Beat_Dominator said:
I went to the Serial number thread and it appears then mine were made in '89, the first model year of the Sequel IIs. The 'stat panel's have "732" this means that they were replaced?? They sound pretty dang good for something 15+ years old.
I can only assume you're right, because on mine, the original panel remaining had no serial number, whereas the replacements had them. Mine were built in '88, right before the IIs came out. And yes, for teenage speakers, it's shocking how good they are! :D

Tube60 said:
I can only assume you're right, because on mine, the original panel remaining had no serial number, whereas the replacements had them. Mine were built in '88, right before the IIs came out. And yes, for teenage speakers, it's shocking how good they are! :D
old can still be good :D

Beat_Dominator said:

My Sequel II's were also built in 1989. The panels were replaced before I bought them and I have replaced the Power Distribution boards because of a failure. They are still amazing!!
:D

Jeff :cool:

Small update. I moved them into a more permanent listening space yesterday, I really enjoy the sound as it is. They remind me of my AKG headphones in the midrange.

I had planned from the get go to "freshen" these up so next weeked I'll probably try the shower thing as I doubt they had ever been cleaned much and I see "grime" on the mylar in spots. While I have them in pieces I'll replace the double sided tape on the woofer grills and maybe take a look at the insides of the x-over.

Does anyone have any tips for me before I take these apart? Any supplies I might need but probably will not think of?

Back