Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Feet/Spike Advice

Default Feet/Spike Advice

For the ultimate mega spikes for your Martin Logan speakers you can either buy the official spikes from ML for around $100, or buy ones that are just as good for less than a quarter of that price from WWW.OREGONDV.COM
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dan Osib; 06-01-2005 at 11:39 AM.

www.partsexpress.com also carries them, for even less, but need to make sure they are the 1/4-20 threaded.

At these prices I wouldn't be surprised if Martin Logans' spike section closes down.

I, likewise, (for my Aerius i's) have been using the spikes from OregonDV. However, I found it difficult to "tweak" speaker positioning on the carpet. I replaced the LOWER section of the rear OregonDV spikes with the original threaded feet that came with the Aerius (see attached pic). Now, I can just tilt the speaker back onto it's rear feet and slide it for positioning changes, and then anchor them with the front spikes. The front spikes are a quarter inch taller, and the slight tilt actually raises the soundstage slightly, without any audible degradation in the bass (although I am using an NHT Sub Two).
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
    Click here to see my entire sytem. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

I've found a way to stabilize the speaker (Aerius in my case), and improve the sound. I have the add-on oversized spikes from M/L, the rear spike fits into the metal hole/fitting of a grinding disk.

My set-up is homemade sand boxes (Brightstar knock offs) with a 1/4" steel plate over top because the wood top was too absorbing too much sound energy and liveliness.

I once had large flat grinding disk over the steel and under the two front spikes before.

Like I said the steel plate alone was too hard and bright.

Better than concrete floor? Well itís not a ringy as metal and not as bouncy/mushy as wood.
    George; Architect
    Aerius 1992 vintage
    Tube powered at last!
    System # 42
    System Link

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Osib
    For the ultimate mega spikes for your Martin Logan speakers you can either buy the official spikes from ML for around $100, or buy ones that are just as good for less than a quarter of that price from WWW.OREGONDV.COM
    Do you think Viablue QTC Elite (34mm) will fit into my ML SL3 speakers? Otherwise which one do you recommend of the 3 which is given below:

1. 1.50" (1 1/2 ")

2. 2.15" (2 1/8")

3. Viablue QTC Elite(34mm)

I am using a 20mm thick carpet

Default Ml Sl3

After reading your post, I am thinking of obtaining the speaker spikes from Oregondv. It's very competitive in price compared to ML. Which of the following do you recommend for ML SL3:

1. 1.50" Brass Floor Cones / Speaker Spikes

2. 2.15" Brass Floor Cones / Speaker Spikes

3. Viablue QTC Speaker Spikes

I'd recommend a fully adjustable spike like the Viablue HS Elite (38 mm) to use with the SL3's.

Do you think that M6 thread will fit to the existing 1/4-20 size?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Osib
    I'd recommend a fully adjustable spike like the Viablue HS Elite (38 mm) to use with the SL3's.
    Do you think M6 size will fit into the existing 1/4"-20 size? Can I order M6 size version safely?

I'm not sure about that one. Best thing to do is to contact Paul at OregonDV and ask him.

Default OregonDV has the 1 3/8" spikes on sale for $1.70 ea.

OregonDV has the 1 3/8" spikes on sale for $1.70 ea.

Timw

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tarigaad
    OregonDV has the 1 3/8" spikes on sale for $1.70 ea.
    Thanks for the info Tarigaad......Last week I ordered these spikes for my SL3's and received them in only 2 days from OregonDV!!!

Smile Mapleshade brass cone products

Howdy all,

I've owned four different ML speakers / CLS2A, Aerius, SL3's, and now the Summits. Other components include Theta "Miles" CD player, CJ Premier LS18 preamp, Classe Audio CA 150 amp, Polk Audio XM tuner, and Michael Green clamp rack. Over the past year, I've replaced all wire (speaker, interconnect, and power strip) with Mapleshade products. Same company that produces Mapleshade recordings. I also have all my components suppported by Pierre Sprey's brass cones. I also used the threaded brass cones on my SL3's.

Phenomenal products to my ears, totally audible (very transparent / many blankets removed), and you can buy (absent special orders) with a no risk / 30 day money back guarantee. I strongly advise everyone to check it out. Also try the three CD treatments. Again, totally audible and well worthwhile. Happy listening. Will gladly provide additional details to anyone via PM.

Gordon

Sleepysurf, your 2-spike 2-feet solution will unfortunately allow your speaker to sway back and forth at the top. This degrades transient response. Best to move the speakers around until you find the best location and toe-in and mark the location with some duct tape (it won't hurt the carpet) and then install the spikes.

Personally I think three spikes are better than four (two in front, and one in back) both for stability, and because with three, you can easily "walk" a speaker into position. But the most important thing is that the spikes go all the way through the carpet and "bite" into the floor underneath.

Spikes (when used with speakers) are "mass coupling" devices -- meaning they couple the speakers SECURELY to the rest of the planet ;--) Bolting the speakers directly to the floor would be even better, but not practical. Hopefully the speaker is heavy enough so gravity alone will force the spikes into firm contact with the floor -- but the speaker MUST NOT MOVE in any direction if you want the best performance.