Best Drum Solo...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Lately, I've been very impressed by the sounds of drums on my ML's. I've been playing music with great drum solo's not only Rock but Jazz, Reggae, and Rhythm and Blues. :) Some of the best drum solos:

The Who's Kieth Moon - Who's Next - "Won't Get Fooled Again"
Billy Cobham - Anything but I like "Shabazz" :)
Led Zeppelin's - John Bonham - Everything he did... :p
The Bangles - Debbi Peterson - "A Hazy Shade Of Winter"
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Carlton Barrett - "Jammin"

Can you guys thing of any others? What are your favorite Drum solos or favorite drummer?

Robin said:
Lately, I've been very impressed by the sounds of drums on my ML's. I've been playing music with great drum solo's not only Rock but Jazz, Reggae, and Rhythm and Blues. :) Some of the best drum solos:

The Who's Kieth Moon - Who's Next - "Won't Get Fooled Again"
Billy Cobham - Anything but I like "Shabazz" :)
Led Zeppelin's - John Bonham - Everything he did... :p
The Bangles - Debbi Peterson - "A Hazy Shade Of Winter"
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Carlton Barrett - "Jammin"

Can you guys thing of any others? What are your favorite Drum solos or favorite drummer?
Hola Robin...one of my favorits and made around 62, Joe Morello at "take five", composition made by Paul Desmond. Another nice to listen is to Steve Davis "Quality of Silence" track no. 2. One of the best cymbals and great sound through ML. New album by "tools", great drummer in there. And anotherone is Terry Lee Carrington (female drummer) with Herbie Hankock, the album name is the jazz channel presents herbie hankock (dvd)...Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Excellent examples...

roberto said:
Hola Robin...one of my favorits and made around 62, Joe Morello at "take five", composition made by Paul Desmond. Another nice to listen is to Steve Davis "Quality of Silence" track no. 2. One of the best cymbals and great sound through ML. New album by "tools", great drummer in there. Happy listening,
Roberto.
Roberto,

Thank you for those wonderful drummers. :D
I love Paul Motian's fantastic jazz drumming with the Bill Evans Trio as well. :)

Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy. What I really like about him is how he plays the drums to produce melody in addition to rhythm and pace. Lizzy's records are old and sound like it. Still the best hardest rocking blues, IMO, and Downey's drum playing accounts for a lot of that. Now I am listening to "Suicide" and B'B'B'"Baby Drives Me Crazy" from "Live And Dangerous", and "Emerald" and "Black Rose" from "Live" will be next, once again. Makes me feel as if my age was bit-shifted one digit to the right. ;)

Stesom has a killer drum solo.... I forget the name though. When I was over his place, he played it for me.

Definately have to say Neil Peart from Rush.......Pick up a copy of "Anatomy of a drum solo" on DVD. Outstanding drum solo perfectionist.

Attachments

• neilpeart7.jpg
    neilpeart7.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 211
Best drum solo

Am I the only one who saw Ginger Baker with "Cream" at Madison Square Garden doing "Toad"? Ginger set the standard!

Hi,
I'll vote for Ringo Starr, try the last half of Abbey Road, or most any of the later recordings by them...:)

Peter

Great Drummers...

SugarMedia said:
View some of the best by genre & song and maybe discover a few more.

http://www.anisman.com/steve/sadrmlst.htm#mjazz
SugarMedia,

:D Thanks for this most excellent list of drummers. I am glad Neil Peart was on the list as well...

wink, Tom, Taz,

I totally agree Neil Peart is truly amazing...
Is this some of what you meant regarding Mr. Peart's genius...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIPAXNGq7HE

:) Neil Peart does things that are just simply amazing ability as a drummer...

TomDac said:
I'll 2nd the vote for Neil Peart from Rush. Listen to "Hemispheres" - he's incredible on that CD.

Ooooooh, Hemispheres....La Villa Strangiato is one of my all time favorites......

audioraptured said:
Am I the only one who saw Ginger Baker with "Cream" at Madison Square Garden doing "Toad"? Ginger set the standard!

Ginger was definately a huge influence on Neil Peart...he gives a lot of reference to some great rock drummers as influencing how he plays today. A lot of jazz drummers as well, being some of the most technical and hardest to immulate.

Robin said:
SugarMedia,

:D Thanks for this most excellent list of drummers. I am glad Neil Peart was on the list as well...

wink, Tom, Taz,

I totally agree Neil Peart is truly amazing...
Is this some of what you meant regarding Mr. Peart's genius...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIPAXNGq7HE

:) Neil Peart does things that are just simply amazing ability as a drummer...

Great example!!

Kruppy said:
Ooooooh, Hemispheres....La Villa Strangiato is one of my all time favorites......

Ditto!! I love that song...it's in my head when I'm on my Hayabusa riding on a nice desert road at around 150 mph....OOOHHHH YEAHHHH!!

Check out Harry James' "The King James Version" Sheffield Labs (Lab 3)for the most accurately sized drum set I've heard. You'll actually get an accurate size as opposed to the 20ft wide set on most albums. :)

Memorable Drummers...

Some very memorable drummers that come to mind:

Buddy Rich
Johnny Carson
Def Lepard's drummer, I'm sorry I forgot his name. He plays with one arm.
Garth from "Waynes World" :D

Kruppy said:
"The Trees" is awesome as well. Hell, the entire CD is so good. One of my all time faves too.

Here's another great one for TomDac being an 80's music fan:

Mark Brzezicki from Big Country and played with others listed below:

Big Country
Ultravox
Procol Harum
The Cult
Fish
Nigel Preston
Rick Astley
John Webster
Ian Astbury (Cult singer)
Jamie Stewart
Joan Armatrading
Rick Walton
Howard Jones
Frida
Tom Cochrane
Richie Zito
Les Warner
Matt Sorum
Roger Daltrey
Bob Rock
Midge Ure
Pete Townshend
Carol Kenyon
Josh Phillips-Gorse
Billy Duffy
Charley Drayton

Big Country released an ep called Wonderland after The Crossing that really influenced my musical desires.

Attachments

• markbrzezicki4.jpg
    markbrzezicki4.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 138
Back