System #134 (Prodigy, 2 Descent i, Theater, Vanquish, EM-R)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_5034.jpgIMG_4653.jpgIMG_4808.jpgIMG_4432.jpgIMG_4899.jpg
Name: Dan

Locale: Phoenix, Arizona

SPEAKERS:

Prodigy (with new panels from ML) - Fronts
Theater -Center
Vanquish - In-ceiling surrounds
Electromotion R - In-ceiling back surrounds

SUBWOOFERS:

Descent i (2)

ELECTRONICS:

Onkyo Pro PR-RZ5100 Processor
Krell FPB-600
Sunfire Signature Cinema Grand 400X5
Elan D 1200/1201 - 12 channel amplifier
Elan D 400/401 (have two in system for whole-house audio)

DIGITAL:

Oppo UDP-205 4k Universal player
Synology RS815+ NAS
PAKEDGE Gigabit switcher
PlayStation 4 pro
Directv HD-DVR

Cooling System
2x AC Infinity Temperature controlled rack fans
AC Infinity 12" In-wall temperature controlled cabinet fans

VIDEO:

Optoma UHD-65 4k Projector
Elite Screens 120" Zero-edge

POWER CONDTIONING:
Monster Power Signature AVS-2000
Monster Power HTS-5100
Middle Atlantic power conditioner with rack light

AUDIO RACK:
Middle Atlantic AXS 42r Slide-out

. ....Thanks for looking!

Dan

Last edited:
.....couple more pics

Attachments

• DSCN1182a.jpg
    DSCN1182a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,314
  • DSCN1169a.jpg
    DSCN1169a.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,307
  • DSCN0877 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN0877 - Copy.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,303
  • DSCN0846 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN0846 - Copy.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,317
Last edited:
Zip3kx07 said:
Nice system Dan.

Do you like your Sunfire gear?

I love the Sunfire line...I was a long time Carver fan before I started buying Sunfire. I bought my first Cinema Grand(200x5) in 1996 in preparation for my ReQuests, which I got in 1997. The Cinema Grand has never run out of power, no matter how loudly I've played the system(believe me I've played the ReQuests loud for long periods of time) and the amp never gets hot.

Now I've purchased my Signature 400x7, so far it is very impressive. The logans are crystal clear... with the boost in power it was immediately evident the second I turned it on...

There are alot of great amplifier lines, my opinion is that Sunfire is the best for your money when your talking about sub-$5000 range multi channel amplifiers. They also (in my opinion) make one of the best home theater processors in the Theater Grand for under $5000.

Just my .02

Dan

Last edited:
Looks like I'm going to throw this Sony 70" into my entertainment center. I've got a lot of remodeling to do to get it in there but it's going to fit beautifully. ;) ......Oh.....and the speakers are coming off the sides.

I've since decided to go front projection!

Attachments

• Sony 70inch.jpg
    Sony 70inch.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4,330
Last edited:
I love the Sunfire line...I was a long time Carver fan before I started buying Sunfire. I bought my first Cinema Grand(200x5) in 1997 in preparation for my ReQuests, which I got in 1998. The Cinema Grand has never run out of power, no matter how loudly I've played the system(believe me I've played the ReQuests loud for long periods of time) and the amp never gets hot.

Now I've purchased my Signature 400x7, so far it is very impressive. The logans are crystal clear... with the boost in power it was immediately evident the second I turned it on...

There are alot of great amplifier lines, my opinion is that Sunfire is the best for your money when your talking about sub-$5000 range multi channel amplifiers. They also (in my opinion) make one of the best home theater processors in the Theater Grand for under $5000.

Just my .02

Dan

Dan, nice system.

I could not agree more on the Sunfire's. Funny that I also have 12 channels of sunfire amplification (Stereo, CG, CGS) in my rig.

I gather you bi-amp the reQuests, where do the other channels go to?

Have you considered active crossovers for you reQuests? That would totally transform them for just $700 worth of processor investment (a DriveRack 260). You've got the amplification to do it with.

Thanks JonFo,

Yes I do bi-amp the ReQuests...I haven't considered active crossovers, although I would love to approach that sometime soon. My money is being saved right now for the re-structuring of my systems living quarters as I wrote in my intro above.

As far as amp channels, two channels of the 200x5 are run into an Adcom 6 zone switcher which distributes audio to my Polk in-walls throughout the house(including the garage, that just got installed). I plan on running a 9.2 system eventually, so I'm keeping two available for side axis channels. The other couple of channels are going to be used for speakers around our pool this spring.

Hmmmmm??........I just added that up...13 channels.......looks like I'll be looking for more channels of amplification before I'm done.

Last edited:
Love the setup! Sunfire gear and Martin Logans are a match made in heaven :) Very cool that we both have very similar setups. And a new Sony 70XBR2 coming soon, too cool! It'll be audio/video nirvana!

Enjoy!

So, as a long-time Carver fan, (and a hopefully future Sunfire owner) I have to ask: Do you use the Sonic Holography feature on your preamp with your MLs?

I use the Sonic Holography on my Carver C-4000t with my Sequels, and it does some mind-boggling things with soundstage and ambience. A few CDs actually sound like I'm running a 5-channel surround system (it's only stereo for now), with sounds coming from behind me, above me, and WAY behind the front speakers...

I know a lot of the "audio purists" think that Sonic Holography is some sort of Evil Signal-Processing Crapolla, but frankly, in some cases, I think it really pushes the MLs miles ahead of any other speaker.

Inquiring minds want to know.

--Richard C.

Love the setup! Sunfire gear and Martin Logans are a match made in heaven :) Very cool that we both have very similar setups. And a new Sony 70XBR2 coming soon, too cool! It'll be audio/video nirvana!

Enjoy!

Audio Nirvana.....yeah, that's what I'm looking for.:rocker:

Dan

So, as a long-time Carver fan, (and a hopefully future Sunfire owner) I have to ask: Do you use the Sonic Holography feature on your preamp with your MLs?

I use the Sonic Holography on my Carver C-4000t with my Sequels, and it does some mind-boggling things with soundstage and ambience. A few CDs actually sound like I'm running a 5-channel surround system (it's only stereo for now), with sounds coming from behind me, above me, and WAY behind the front speakers...

I know a lot of the "audio purists" think that Sonic Holography is some sort of Evil Signal-Processing Crapolla, but frankly, in some cases, I think it really pushes the MLs miles ahead of any other speaker.

Inquiring minds want to know.

--Richard C.

You know it's funny, I have used the sonic holography for soooo long now that anything without it on the logans seems just blah.. From my C-17 to the Theater Grand, it's just one button that stays depressed. Now I have from time to time taken it out and tried to listen to material, but I always put it right back. I never trim the bass or treble past 0, and try to keep all other adjustments/connections as pure as possible. I just can't kick the Sonic Holography! Thanks Bob Carver!:cheers:

Dan

You know it's funny, I have used the sonic holography for soooo long now that anything without it on the logans seems just blah.. From my C-17 to the Theater Grand, it's just one button that stays depressed.

And with your TGP-IV, the Sonic Holography is done in the digital domain, so I bet it's a LOT cleaner and airy than the analogue Sonic holography in the old Cerver gear.

I have a C-4000t, and although it sounds great with my Sequels (I leave my Sonic Holography on most of the time too!) it is a little noisey sometimes.

I can't wait to get a Sunfire preamp. I bet they really make the MLs sing!

Now I have from time to time taken it out and tried to listen to material, but I always put it right back.

Sme hear. I was demonstrating my newly-set-up system (most of my gear had been in storage for about 6 months, due to moving), and when I kicked n the SH, she actually jumped and looked behind her for the rear speakers. I was running a pure stereo setup... :)

I never trim the bass or treble past 0, and try to keep all other adjustments/connections as pure as possible. I just can't kick the Sonic Holography! Thanks Bob Carver!:cheers:

You know, a lot of the "audiophile purists" think that Bob Carver is Evil Incarrnate )mostly because of the "Carver Challenge" that Stereoophile did in the 1980's, where Bob essentially proved that his "t-mod" technology was for real!). There is a reason why Carver and Sunfire are never mentioned in the high-end American audio press, and that is because Bob just ****ed them off one time too many by showing that he could build amps that sounded JUST LIKE the "big-ticket" gonzo brands, for a fraction of the price...

I pretty much agree with your stance on the bass and trebble controls. Mine are pretty much locked in at 0, and rarely get moved. I d like the Auto-Correlator though--it has helped in cleaning up some old vinyl that I've been trying to get converted to digital. But since I got my new Mac laptop and a copy of Soundsoap, I haven't used the Auto-Correlator much. Cleaning up scratchy vinyl is a LOT easier (and the final product sounds WAY better) when done in the digital domain...

Glad to see another Bob Carver fan. We Carver/ML fans are a rare breed indeed...

--Richard C.

You know, a lot of the "audiophile purists" think that Bob Carver is Evil Incarrnate )mostly because of the "Carver Challenge" that Stereoophile did in the 1980's, where Bob essentially proved that his "t-mod" technology was for real!). by showing that he could build amps that sounded JUST LIKE the "big-ticket" gonzo brands, for a fraction of the price...QUOTE]

NOT Quite !!! The "cube" piece of crap he made "back in the day" was just that ....JUNK !!! I have fond memories of a local shop trying to run it with a pair of Maggie MG III's, OMG that thing couldn't get out of it's own way !!

Speakers that craved current and possesed wide impedence swings put that amp in the "toilet".

You know, a lot of the "audiophile purists" think that Bob Carver is Evil Incarrnate )mostly because of the "Carver Challenge" that Stereoophile did in the 1980's, where Bob essentially proved that his "t-mod" technology was for real!). by showing that he could build amps that sounded JUST LIKE the "big-ticket" gonzo brands, for a fraction of the price...QUOTE]

NOT Quite !!! The "cube" piece of crap he made "back in the day" was just that ....JUNK !!! I have fond memories of a local shop trying to run it with a pair of Maggie MG III's, OMG that thing couldn't get out of it's own way !!

Speakers that craved current and possesed wide impedence swings put that amp in the "toilet".

I actually beg to differ. My friend had a "cube" running a set of SL3's with no problems. I'll admit that it wasn't the best sounding amp, but it had no problem with current output at any volume. That amp is not even a stable amplifier and THAT "cube" amp was not designed to run Logans or Maggies, but did OK in it's own right. Now, when you talk about Bob's larger Magnetic Field Amps with stable power designs they rival a lot of high dollar amps.

So, that was unfortunately a bad example....

Glad to see another Bob Carver fan. We Carver/ML fans are a rare breed indeed...

--Richard C.

Not so rare, count me in as well. I had a C4000 and loved it back in the late 80's. I actually had a cube amp (M500 if I recall) and it did OK on dynamic speakers. Not his best, but for the day ...
I still swear by Sunfire amps, especially for current hungry 'logans.

If you like sonic holography, you will love Meridian TriField. It got me to part with major cash to get into a Meridian processor eight years ago and I've not looked back. If you have a well balanced set of three front speakers, it will transform all your redbook CD's or other 2ch sources into wonderful enveloping sound that remains accurate.

I've actually fooled listeners into believing they were hearing a DVD-A by doing TriField on top notch redbook recordings.

Latest posts

Back