Are These Speakers Even Legal... Is The A Lawyer In The House???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Modal Water Speaker by Kunihiro Tsuji

Don't ask how it sounds...

Attachments

• tsuji_modal_water_speaker.jpg
    tsuji_modal_water_speaker.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 370
Why the sofa in the middle?

Hi James,

I've heard various MBL's over the years and they trully are an outstanding speaker by any reasonable measure. Congratulations.

First off, I sincerely hope / trust that your hearing anamoly goes far far away in the very near near future.

Secondly, why do you have the MBL's set up between the couch? I would assume that, as good as the MBL's are in filling the room, it has to adversely affect the soundstaging.

Get well and best regards.

GG

Secondly, why do you have the MBL's set up between the couch? I would assume that, as good as the MBL's are in filling the room, it has to adversely affect the soundstaging.

GG,

Yea, I hope the hearing returns soon and that I can keep it the rest of my life and while we are at it lets make that LONG and HAPPY!

As for the MBL location. It is/was the only place left to put any speakers. Since I can not hear properly right now I can't really attest to the staging, but the beauty of the radial speakers is that you want them WELL off any wall (not unlike ML's) and in a location where you can get all around them is even better. At least as best I can tell.

Again from what I can hear it does not matter if you are "behind" or "infront" of the speakers set up how I have them now... The sound and sound staging is THE SAME! So, unlike ML's where there is one decent sized sweet spot front and center with MBL's you have one in front and one in back...

Some might argue that you need a back wall to bounce sound off or and around and such, but I disagree. I think almost everyone is trying to remove any effect of a back wall on the sound they are hearing because of coloration. In my current case, I have fixed that by removing the wall and putting the speakers virtually in the middle of the room.

Hope that helps explain what you are looking at... More than anything though I didn't want to put one of them right next to the GIANT chiffarobe (shiffarobe??? How DO you spell that anyway?) and the other one hidden behind the grand piano...that would have been the ONLY other location (you can see the AWESOME Radio Shack speakers in those locations in the pictures! You talk about sound staging and quality...WOW! LOL! :haha1: )

Question for you guys.

I am looking for something SOLID and good looking to set my MBL speakers on to get them up about 6" or so higher than they currently are.

I thought about solid granite in absolute black (a VERY NICE stone!) or even Black Galaxy (my fav. but would not go as well as absolute) and then realized if I had a 6" thick piece of granite the size of the base of my speakers, I would NOT be able to lift it!!! I also thought about a nice wood frame and then wrapped w/ some granite to make it look nice but the base is kind of triangular with rounded vs. pointy corners...that would be VERY hard to do in 2X4's and even harder to then cover w/ granite...

You guys are creative...help me out here...

Gold Bars...

Question for you guys.

I am looking for something SOLID and good looking to set my MBL speakers on to get them up about 6" or so higher than they currently are.

You guys are creative...help me out here...
James,

:D I know you meant, us guys and gals are very creative...:p

I have been thinking, for a while now, I would try this ultimate solid material someday ~ a speaker stand made of the material which just keeps on giving / appreciating more and more everyday... This isn't a joke either, I am serious, I'm going to try it, whenever I have the spare cash to invest... :)

Attachments

• Gold Bars 2.jpg
    Gold Bars 2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 319
  • Gold Bars.jpg
    Gold Bars.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 318
James,

:D I know you meant, us guys and gals are very creative...:p

I have been thinking, for a while now, I would try this ultimate solid material someday ~ a speaker stand made of the material which just keeps on giving / appreciating more and more everyday... This isn't a joke either, I am serious, I'm going to try it, whenever I have the spare cash to invest... :)

6 inches of gold... 2 speakers... 4 spikes each... I don't even want to know how much spare cash that means... YIKES

James, I would not abandon the solid granite idea, but instead of a big piece of granite you could place 3 "columns" of granite under each speaker.

I like Robin's idea, but that might be just outside my budget right now. Lugano has the right idea...where can I get something like that in a nice polished black?! I need six of them just like those you pictured there!

Thanks Lugano!

Lugano has the right idea...where can I get something like that in a nice polished black?! I need six of them just like those you pictured there!

James, what I pictured is a 3D rendering I created as an appetitizer for you, but I think it is a good idea, because cylinders can be placed by slightly rotating them. Just tilt and rotate, and you fine tune, and it should be sometinhg you can do easily even when sitting - as you do. Now, where to get them is a problem - here in Europe I know where, but over there I think that you should contact professionals working in the (sorry) departed area, i.e. cemetery monuments people. I'm hitting the limits of my english, I don't know how to say this, but pros in that area are full with resources.

Last edited:
James, what I pictured is a 3D rendering I created as an appetitizer for you, but I think it is a good idea, because cylinders can be placed by slightly rotating them. Just tilt and rotate, and you fine tune, and it should be sometinhg you can do easily even when sitting - as you do. Now, where to get them is a problem - here in Europe I know where, but over there I think that you should contact professionals working in the (sorry) departed area, i.e. cemetery monuments people. I'm hitting the limits of my english, I don't know how to say this, but pros in that area are full with resources.

AH, you ARE the photoshop MASTER! I think I will check in w/ some of the granite places around and see what they have to say. That would be a pretty big core sample...but you never know! Maybe I will get lucky. I was interesting to see that this AM when I logged on because as I was going to be last night I came to the conclusion that granite "bricks" would work, and then BINGO you were already there w/ cyliders which would go VERY WELL w/ the MBL's actually!

Thanks much! :cheers:

19.3 g/cm^3 * $22/g = $424/cm^3

Size to suit. :)

Looks like now's the time to do it, too, the price has dropped quite a bit.
gold_1d_g_USD.png

Conversion : 1 gram = 0.0321507466 troy ounces or 1 troy ounce = 31.1034768 grams

Great Gold Graphic...

19.3 g/cm^3 * $22/g = $424/cm^3

Size to suit. :)

Looks like now's the time to do it, too, the price has dropped quite a bit.
gold_1d_g_USD.png

Conversion : 1 gram = 0.0321507466 troy ounces or 1 troy ounce = 31.1034768 grams
MotorToad,

It sure looks like a real good time to purchase a little gold right now... ;)

Back