"New?" Speaker Alignment method to consider?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greg_A

I used Jims flashlight method with significant success with my Summits a while back but kind of stumbled across a similar/different method last night.

Kind of went like this:
Relaxing on the couch & transitioning between Merle Haggards greatest hits and Metallica's Garage Days Revisited when I noticed the following: {I like the couch as it allows a better side to side shift that a single chair does not}

I had 2 candles burning on a coffee table {both centered almost perfectly with my sitting position with 1 in front of the other - separated by the width of the table of about 2 ft.}

I looked to the left speaker and saw 1 sharp reflection about the size of the candle flame but on the right I seen 2 reflections! Horizontally and vertically distinct "flame" points.... well ... couldnt help but try to get the EXACT same image. Some toe in, toe out, up, down, lean right, lean left and 20 minutes later, I had the same size reflection positioned exactly { using the candles I could "mark" and "tape" the spot on the speakers much easier then my flashlight. }

I Cue'd up the same songs and I think it worked wonders -- or at least well enough to mention to others.

Consider trying this & Hope it works for you

Cool, gotta try this.............after this heat wave though. :D

A cleaner and cooler method is to use a laser pointer.

FIRST, make sure your speakers are EXACTLY the same distance from the rear wall, and perfectly centered in the room, and make sure your listening chair is EXACTLY on the centerline between the speakers (even when for some reason it's not possible to perfectly center the pair of speakers in the room.)

In a dark(ish) room, sit in your listening position facing straight ahead. Hold (or strap?) the laser pointer on top of your head pointing forward, and then rotate your head/eyes to the left and then right speaker. Note the location of the laser reflection point on the panel relative to the center (or edge) of the panel. Adjust toe-in in order to make both speakers the same (of course. try different amounts of toe-in until you get good imaging.)

You can adjust tilt (forward/backward, and just as important to good imaging as toe-in)) in the same way adjusting the speaker(s) until the laser point reflection is roughly at eye height and exactly in the same place (vertically) on each speaker.

This method is infallible for getting speakers perfectly aligned with each other and with your ears!

A cleaner and cooler method is to use a laser pointer.

FIRST, make sure your speakers are EXACTLY the same distance from the rear wall, and perfectly centered in the room, and make sure your listening chair is EXACTLY on the centerline between the speakers (even when for some reason it's not possible to perfectly center the pair of speakers in the room.)

In a dark(ish) room, sit in your listening position facing straight ahead. Hold (or strap?) the laser pointer on top of your head pointing forward, and then rotate your head/eyes to the left and then right speaker. Note the location of the laser reflection point on the panel relative to the center (or edge) of the panel. Adjust toe-in in order to make both speakers the same (of course. try different amounts of toe-in until you get good imaging.)

You can adjust tilt (forward/backward, and just as important to good imaging as toe-in)) in the same way adjusting the speaker(s) until the laser point reflection is roughly at eye height and exactly in the same place (vertically) on each speaker.

This method is infallible for getting speakers perfectly aligned with each other and with your ears!

I tried this tweak with the laser on my head but I found it was difficult to truly center the laser on my head and it was difficult for me to precisely turn my head the right amount when verifying the laser/panel alignment.

After various experimentation with lasers, I found that there are several problematic issues with toe-in.
1. The speakers HAVE to be at a perfectly balanced distance from the back wall.
2. Sweet spot HAS TO BE at the exact third vertex of a speaker speaker seat triangle.
3. The rake on the panels need to be PERFECTLY aligned (if one is too laid back or vice versa, there will be a measurable flaw in consequential toe in).

What I found worked best was using string. I attached the string to the bottom medial feet/legs of the Summits. I measured the halfway point on the string and made an essential "V" from the speakers to the vertex (which would be the sweet spot). This made sure that with respect to the speakers (not the back wall), the vertex was the sweet spot, accurate to the inch.

Then from this point, I would do one of two things. I could use another piece of string and tape it to the lateral/outside parts of the airframe.. and do the same thing. I would make several marks on the string representing the midline, and various measured increments from the midline. In essence, it was another "V" formation with you being at the vertex. As you toed in your speakers, make sure to align the increments with one another, thereby giving you a perfect toe in everytime.

This was the only thing that I found gave flawless imaging and toe in.

Another variation is using a third string, taping it to the top lateral corner of the airframe and checking for rake angle ONLY after the panels have been properly toed in, NOT BEFORE! Any variation in rake angle would show up as a "V" with the vertex not exactly at midpoint.

I call this the "Rope method".

If it's hard to follow, call me and I can help you. PM me for #.

Joey

Latest posts

Back