Apogee Acoustics - Full Range "Ribbon" Speakers...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apogees

I am the proud second owner of a pair of truly ugly looking but beautiful sounding Apogee Divas which I have used as my reference in "the big rig" since the mid nineties. Several of you have captured the essence of the differences in sound between Apogees and ML and this is also what I hear when I switch to my video based system which is built around ML speakers (Logos/Aeon/Scenario/Descent). The Apogee is warmer in tonal balance and more forward in staging. I have always thought of it as a more or less "here" component as opposed to the ML's more "there" perspective. Both have that planar magic and both simply disappear when correctly set up!

I have listened to many a Apogee system , The best I may have ever heard was krell mono blocks running a set of Divas . WOW was the factor !

More Apogee - Divas Beauties....

C.A.P said:
I have listened to many a Apogee system , The best I may have ever heard was krell mono blocks running a set of Divas . WOW was the factor !
C.A.P.,

I found yet another Apogee system featuring Divas... Really pretty sweet... :D ;) :D

Attachments

• 1151777022.jpg
    1151777022.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3,399
C.A.P said:
The Diva's were great sounding speakers...but if I remember correctly they were also known as great amp killers too....

Dan

Apogee - Duetta mkII

:D And for your viewing pleasure, the amazing Apogee - Duetta mkII musical system...

Attachments

• 1152580575.jpg
    1152580575.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,866
DTB300 said:
The Diva's were great sounding speakers...but if I remember correctly they were also known as great amp killers too....

Dan

OH yes ! you better have a current driven amp. ;) like stable into 1/2 ohm. The Krell amps did well. Believe it or not The Sunfire was tested on the scintilla at 1/2 ohm .
The Thresholds were very good sounding amps too. I did hear them with the smaller Stages IIRC, oh ................the golden memories. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Robin said:
C.A.P.,

I found yet another Apogee system featuring Divas... Really pretty sweet... :D ;) :D[/QUOTE

Man ! Them are sweet looking ,and they did sound wonderful . I would own a pair if I could have a 100% dedicated room !

They Just are not to kid friendly ! :confused:

sleepysurf said:
Here's yet another full-range electrostatic speaker I've never heard of...
http://www.lightningsound.net

Anybody know more?

Apogees are not electrostatics. They utilize a planar magnetic drive system some what like the Magneplanars. The woofer panel is driven from the back only whilst the ribbon driver is immersed in the magnetic field from a row of paired magnets along the side. The ribbon was amongst the cleanest, purest drivers I've ever heard.

C.A.P said:
Robin said:
C.A.P.,

I found yet another Apogee system featuring Divas... Really pretty sweet... :D ;) :D[/QUOTE

Man ! Them are sweet looking ,and they did sound wonderful . I would own a pair if I could have a 100% dedicated room !

They Just are not to kid friendly ! :confused:

Not kid friendly at all!

I recall selling a pair of Duettas to a Dr. with 11 kids, I kid you not (Ha) and a few months later go out on a service call. One of his kids stuck his foot through the woofer panel. The panel was field replaceable but was not cheap!

Apogee Acoustics RESURRECTED!

Looks like Graz has licensed/bought the Apogee Acoustics name from the estate of the late Jason Bloom, and will be producing updated versions of the old legacy designs. WOW!! More details will be forthcoming here... http://www.apogeeacoustics.com

Apogee Acoustics Returning... WOW!!!!

sleepysurf said:
Looks like Graz has licensed/bought the Apogee Acoustics name from the estate of the late Jason Bloom, and will be producing updated versions of the old legacy designs. WOW!! More details will be forthcoming here... http://www.apogeeacoustics.com
sleepysurf,

:D What Great News! Tell me (us) if you know is Graz from the UK? Will the new company producing the new Apogee Legacy designs be a UK audio manufacturer company or will Apogee's be made in USA?

Wonderful news though. Thank you for sharing... :) :D

Robin said:
sleepysurf,

:D What Great News! Tell me (us) if you know is Graz from the UK? Will the new company producing the new Apogee Legacy designs be a UK audio manufacturer company or will Apogee's be made in USA?

Wonderful news though. Thank you for sharing... :) :D

Graz is in Queensland Australia. He has been supplying better than original replacement ribbons for Apogees for some years now as well as rebuilding speakers, starting the Perigee line of speakers, a new Apogee near reproduction service, dispenses advice and from the internet seems to be an all round good guy. A committed enthusiast making a living out of what he loves.

http://www.perigee.com.au/

Scroll down the page for photo of Graz and a bio.

Kevin

Back