!An amazing and cheap CD player tweak!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
I would love to take credit for this tweak but I can't. I found thia on AA I think and so here it is. This is for those who are using their CD player w/o an external Dac or with a DAC using an optical output only. The unused and unterminated coax output causes reflections of the high frequency signal. If this is terminated then the reflections are absorbed and voila! the sound undergoes a major improvement IMO.

This is very easy to do. Get an unterminated male RCA plug, 2-150 Ohm 1% resistors, some solder and a soldering gun and solder the resistors between the hot and ground of the RCA. This forms a true 75 ohm load for the output. Plug it in to the coax output and listen to the difference. Remove the plug and listen again. The difference should be dramatic, if not then your player is one of the few in which the manufacturer has addressed this issue. Good listening!

Dumb question ??? will an RCA fit into a coaxial connection ? I haven't looked at the back of my player but I'm thinking along the lines of cable hookup at the back of the TV, oh hell I better get a cup of coffee, can't seem to engage the brain this AM.

twich54 said:
Dumb question ??? will an RCA fit into a coaxial connection ? I haven't looked at the back of my player but I'm thinking along the lines of cable hookup at the back of the TV, . . . .

Yeah, the coax connection is a standard RCA, not an F connector such as for cable TV.

twich54 said:
Dumb question ??? will an RCA fit into a coaxial connection ? I haven't looked at the back of my player but I'm thinking along the lines of cable hookup at the back of the TV, oh hell I better get a cup of coffee, can't seem to engage the brain this AM.

The Coaxial connection looks exactly like RCA.
The diff is the high-bandwidth requirement of it as well as 75ohm stable.

BTW, risabet, its an interesting concept you described below. I think what you meant was "analog echoing" if they are not balanced.

Another way is to get it connected (but not used) to your AV amp.

That is the reason why I always advice my friends to use Coaxial as Digital out from your DVD/CD player to your AVR (if you are using) and not use the Optical.

Rgds

Latest posts

Back