Keane - Hopes & Fears

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Artist: Keane
Disc: Hopes & Fears
Year: 2004
Genre: Pop
Label: Interscope Records

There have been a handful of CDs that I just totally connect with. Something about them speaks (or sings) to me and I hold them very close to my heart. Keane's 2004 debut "Hopes & Fears" is one of them. Keyboards, drums, singer and bass. No guitars anywhere on this CD. Because Keane focuses their sound around the piano, they sound INCREDIBLE on Logans!

From start to finish, this CD is absolutely MEZMERIZING. Lead singer Tom Chaplin sings with such emotion that he pulls you into each song quickly while the hooks and beat of the songs will have your toes tapping.

Keane's sound has often been compared to Coldplay and Radiohead - coincidentally two other bands who released CDs that I have the same kind of connection with (Coldplay's "A Rush of Blood To the Head" and Radiohead's "OK Computer").

Two years after it's release, Hopes & Fears is still on the charts and they've just released their new CD "Under the Iron Sea" which debuted at #1 in the UK and #4 in the US.

If you haven't heard this CD, go to their website, take a listen and then buy it!

http://www.keanemusic.com

Attachments

• H&F.jpg
    H&F.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Tom, Thanks for the heads up, I had not heard of this group. Just picked up the disc along with Under the Iron Sea..........Excellent !!!

Hi Dave,

Glad you like them. :)

If you get a chance to see them live at a small venue, do it. I saw them here in San Francsico the day that Under The Iron Sea was released at a very small place.. WOW. Probably the best live show I've ever seen. They sounded great live, which puzzles me because I saw them perform live on TV a couple times recently and they sounded HORRIBLE. They were on Leno and did "Is it Any Wonder" and it was just awful. Oh well.

Anyway, glad I could turn you onto them.

Tom.

Do either of you have a preference for or the other? I've been thinking about purchasing one of their disks for a while now....

Have you seen Keane's Strangers DVD vid? Some excellent documentary footage of the band and superb live performances, highly recommended :)

Kruppy said:
Do either of you have a preference for or the other? I've been thinking about purchasing one of their disks for a while now....
Get Hopes & Fears first. If you like it, I'm sure you'll like Under the Iron Sea.

Genesis said:
Have you seen Keane's Strangers DVD vid? Some excellent documentary footage of the band and superb live performances, highly recommended :)
Yes, I have that DVD and it is quite excellent. I'm not too crazy about the way they hid all the footage and stuff with that menu system popping up during the film.

Keane has a new CD coming out next week called "Perfect Symmetry". I pre-ordered it on iTunes. Hope it's good.

Hopes & Fears does sound absolutely great, no question.

They have also been pretty fantastic at Glastonbury over here. They are one of those bands that I think are really good, yet I question why I don't play them more often.

Recently, the lead singer has been through rehab, and was talking about it only last week on the telly. Now I might be wrong about this, but he really does not seem like the druggy kind - nor does he look as if he has been abusing anything for any period of time. Just look at Pete Doherty to see a genuine user. Hate to say it, but I really think they were playing the press. Over here, if your a junkie musician, you get worshipped. Big time. Amey Winehouse, anyone?

I bought the Perfect Symmetry "bonus" CD from iTunes and was HUGELY disappointed in the quality of the sound. Got online and got a torrent at 320 bps of the same CD and it sounded much better. LOVE this CD, btw. Alot more than "under the iron sea" and nearly as much as "hopes and fears".

Latest posts

Back