Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Monolith refresh - Panels, woofers and rail stain updates

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008 View Post
    Thanks Cherian! I actually thought that the Martin Logan X-Over was my only option. That Krell would definitely fit the bill to.

BTW - Your system is quite impressive, it looks like the gear you have makes your Monolith SING!
    Actually Krell built the active Crossover for the Monolith.

The unit linked on A'gon is pretty much the same (identical?) unit as the ML unit.

I use DBX DriveRacks for my crossovers, a little more work to integrate, but much more flexibility.

If looking for something simple and straightforward, then that Krell is the best option, I'd suggest jumping on it, as they are rare.

If you are game for more complexity, then let me know. My middle name is complex (or was that I have a complex, I can never keep that straight ).

Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008 View Post
    Hi JonFo, I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I have a question.

Have you put any more thought into changing the color of the light oak rails? I too would like to change the color on mine and would love any suggestions.

Also the switch from passive crossovers to active crossovers...was it worth it? I've not started looking for a separate ML crossover any good suggestions where to start.

Thanks in advance - Ken Bell
    Ken,

I've yet to change the rail colors. My strategy right now is to create a cover that will not mar the original and give me the darker color I'm looking for.
    Still need to schedule the time to implement. So that's pending.

I highly recommend using actives. They much more 'amp-friendly' since there are no power-robbing coils, caps and resistors in the audio path.

Depending on models, the ability to create much steeper crossover slopes is also a big benefit.
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    Actually Krell built the active Crossover for the Monolith.

The unit linked on A'gon is pretty much the same (identical?) unit as the ML unit.

I use DBX DriveRacks for my crossovers, a little more work to integrate, but much more flexibility.

If looking for something simple and straightforward, then that Krell is the best option, I'd suggest jumping on it, as they are rare.

If you are game for more complexity, then let me know. My middle name is complex (or was that I have a complex, I can never keep that straight ).
    I appreciate the "complex" offer, when I have some time I will take you up on that.

I however am a little short on cash right now, so the Krell is out of bounds for a little while. I can just cross my fingers to see if it is still there down the road.

You guys rock and I look foward to future conversations. I really love this website!
    Last edited by DrWily008; 04-12-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Well as a temporary deal, I will be going with a passive bi-amp. This will involve taking apart my passive crossovers and switching a switch over.

To be honest, I have never had something of the caliber opened before and am worried about making a mistake. Is there anything I should look out for/avoid?

Thanks - Ken

It should be pretty straight-forward. It's just a pair of high-voltage power supply-type slide switches (you know, the kind for selecting 240 vs 120).
    Do some more searches on my posts, I know Iíve covered that before.

But post pics and any questions in a new thread and we can take it from there.
    Jonathan