Dead can Dance - Spiritchaser

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Artist: Dead can Dance
CD: Spiritchaser
Original Release Date: June 25, 1996
Number of Discs: 1
Label: 4ad / Wea

My thoughts: Spritchaser takes you way back in time to a more primal state.

Attachments

• spiritchaser.jpg
    spiritchaser.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 449
Cherian said:
Artist: Dead can Dance
CD: Spiritchaser
Original Release Date: June 25, 1996
Number of Discs: 1
Label: 4ad / Wea

My thoughts: Spritchaser takes you way back in time to a more primal state.
Agreed, I think Dead Can Dance, along with Crash Worship and possibly VAS, set the standard for Primal Music.

Interesting thing about where they got their name. They tend to utilize a lot of wood and organic based materials in their intrumentation - gut strings, real skins on drums etc. They believe that the use of these organic materials imparts a specific spirit to the music, and that by energizing them by making music brings them back to a certain state of "life"; thus making the dead - dance.

Count me (and the wife) in as MAJOR DCD and Lisa Gerrard fans.
Have the entire DCD collection plus all the Lisa G work, including soundtracks.

Lisa's voice can only truly be appreciated on a good Martin Logan system (or live, which I've had the pleasure of twice).

Additionally, the great instrumentals and percussive accompaniment require accurate sounding setups to hear every nuance (and there are plenty) in their very creative music.

When I really want to get in a contemplative mood, I put on Lisa's Duality album.
Our favorite playlsits feature >50% Lisa and DCD content.

To others who think Dianna Krall is the best singer to show off your ML's with, you must hear Lisa Gerrard. Her range is beyond real, and her vocalizations are the music, vs something that tries to adapt to a melody and rhythm.

Her new album, The Silver Tree should be out in a few weeks.

The Dead can Dance is what made me get the Logans!!! All the CDs are just wonderful. Sometimes, I just turn off the lights and let it play. Helps to to relax after a long day.

Cherian said:
The Dead can Dance is what made me get the Logans!!! All the CDs are just wonderful. Sometimes, I just turn off the lights and let it play. Helps to to relax after a long day.

Amen to that. that's what I'm about to do.

Too bad they have not released on a high-def audio format. This music begs for more resolution.

Maybe once all the craziness around the new HD video formats settle down, there will be a rerelease of catalog titles in HD audio (both blue-ray and HD formats support lossless multichannel high-rez audio)

Got my fingers crossed.

Jon,

I know you are a big fan and may already have this. I have the Chicago one and its very high quality recordings. If I had known about it sooner I would have picked up the vinyl. I am in the process of tracking the vinyl down.

http://www.dcddiscs.com/

JonFo said:
Amen to that. that's what I'm about to do.

Too bad they have not released on a high-def audio format. This music begs for more resolution.

Maybe once all the craziness around the new HD video formats settle down, there will be a rerelease of catalog titles in HD audio (both blue-ray and HD formats support lossless multichannel high-rez audio)

Got my fingers crossed.
I have three of their releases on a very high def format - it's called vinyl :D

Seriously - "Toward the Within" and "Spiritchaser" in particular on vinyl just blow the CD's away.

I also depend on them for a mental reset on those days that the world is just too heavy a burden to bear on my own. I think this sort of "primal" music reaches a different place in the soul that occasionally needs some attention.

Latest posts

Back