Anthem Statement P5

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Amp Manufacturer: Anthem / Sonic Frontiers International (Owned by "Paradigm", who are now owned by "ShoreView Industries", who in-turn own Martin Logan company) It's all a big circle of "Sonic Nirvana", isn't it... ;)
Model: Anthem Statement P5
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $5,500.00 (USD)
Used market average price: As of the date of this post, haven't seen a P5 on the market.
Basic Specs:
The Anthem Statement P5 amplifier is a Class-A/B, Solid State amplifier.
Power Output: (per channel RMS, 20Hz to 20kHz, ,0,1% THD, one or all channel driven)
8 ohms........ 325 Watts
4 ohms........ 500 Watts
2 ohms........ 675 Watts
Statement P5 amplifiers are stable into impedance down to a short circuit at full output.
Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+0, -0.15 dB), 5 Hz to 100kHz (+0, -2dB)
THD+N: 0.0007 at 1 kHz, 0.0008% at 20 kHz (225 W into 8 ohms)
IMD: 0.00019% (CCIF, 325 W into 8 ohms)
Power Bandwidth: 10 Hz to 150 kHz (+0, -3 dB, 325 W into 8 ohms)
Slew Rate: 40 V/us
Input Sensitivity (RCA and XLR 0 dB inputs): 1 Vrms in for 28.3 Vrms out (100 W into 8 ohms)
Input Impedance: 18 k ohms (RCA), 22 k ohms (XLR)
Damping Factor: .600 at 20 Hz, 400 at 1 kHz (ref. 8 ohms)
S/N Ratio: 125 dB, A-weighted (ref. 325 W)
Crosstalk (between any two channels): -140 dB at 20 Hz, -80 dB at 20 kHz
Voltage Gain: 29 dB
Supply Voltage: 105 to 130 V, 60 Hz
Power Consumption: Statement P5 2x1800 Watts (340 Watts at idle)
Height: 9 3/4 inches (23.8 cm)
Width: Standard Version: 19 1/4 inches (49 cm)
Depth: 22 1/2 inches (57.2 cm)
Weight (unpacked): 130 lb ( 59 kg)

My Detailed Experience using this amplifier:
Well, after previewing the Anthem P2 at home. Then auditioning the, Cary Cinema X, the B&K 200.5, and the Simaudio Moon Aurora, amplifiers, in stores. With much thought, consideration and research, and soul searching, I've taken the plunge... I just took delivery of the, "Anthem Statement P5" amplifier. It took me about 4 - 5 hours to set up, this 'Bad Boy', in my HT. As some of you know, my dedicated HT room is quite small (12'x11'x8'), a converted small bedroom actually. Thinking creatively, and out side of the box, was the only way, I was able to fit this huge, amplifier into my HT room. Mostly, because the of the wonderful build quality of the, "Omimount" audio equipment rack, I had purchased some time ago (Tom D., you know what I'm talking about).

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/...s/P_Series.html

So, with the help of my big, strong son, I was able to place the Anthem P5 on the bottom shelf of the audio rack. Having replaced the glass shelf with a 1/2 inch. thick wooden shelf to hold the, 130 pound weight, of the P5 amp. I had to move my Pioneer VSX 59 TXi (80 lbs.) to a sturdy stand next to the Omimount audio rack.

It was all worth it, as the Anthem P5, has finally given my ML speakers their voice, at last... I never really knew what I was missing, WOW!!! The details the positioning of the instruments when I listen to music. Especially, with vocals. Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall and Natalie Cole never sounded better with my new, 'P5' powered, finally musical, stereo system. My Ascent i's, sounded as beautifully rich and musical, as when I had auditioned the Anthem P2, in my home, a couple of weeks ago. The P5 was very musical, rich bass and glorious vocals (Highs & Mids). I am going to start listening to more music, definitely! Musically, I agree, with some of the reviews of, Anthem P5, it's not a tube sound, but it is the very best SS sound of all of the amplifiers I had auditioned.

In comparison to the other amplifiers I auditioned, I found the Anthem P5 to be, much more powerful and translucent than the Cary Cinema X. More exact and attention to details than the, Cinema X. Their was not even any comparison between the P5 and the B&K. IMHO, I found the, B&K in be too harsh at times, too bright, brassy, to my ears. The B&K, added something to the sound..., in addition to the brightness, I want to say a darkness to the sound, I was hearing. My ears did not like it.
Now the, Simaudio, Moon Aurora, amplifier was the closest to the sound of the Anthem P2 and the P5. The Moon Aurora, has a beautiful dynamic sound with attention to detail and clarity of sound, both in music, and with movies. For me, it was between these two amplifiers - the Anthem P5 and the Moon Aurora. In the end, I had to choose the, Anthem P5, because the sound was a little more filled-in, more clear / translucent and beautiful. I also, thought, the (individual mono block) power of the P5, was needed for my ML speakers...

My ML speakers really sing, now... For HT and movies, I was literally blown away, WOW..., The dynamics's, the precise placement of the sound effects, is truly amazing. For instance, I watched the first battle sequence of the movie, "Master and Commander", - Oh my god! I felt like,... I was there... really. With each bomb blast, I could hear every grain of sand and wood hitting the deck, of the ship. I think my, Pioneer 59TXi A/V receiver had been clipping or stressed beyond it's build capabilities, as this movie, was uncomfortable to hear before, with the 59TXi... The Pioneer 59TXi, was actually hurting my ears, during the dynamic special effect sequences. The exact opposite for the Anthem P5..., the sound of the battle scenes were, 'life like' and realistic, natural, non fatiguing and very enjoyable.

I have my HT system set to, "THX Ultra 2", which as, I'm sure you guys know, means that all of my speakers are set to, "small", during movie watching. All bass sound go to my, ML Descent. For the first time, my Ascent i's, Theater i, and Script i's were brought forward, into the sound track. I could actually hear no strain in the vocals, music or the special sound effects. The Descent and all the other ML speakers, easily and for the first time came together, bonding between the highs, mids and the bass for the first time. I know that the Anthem P5, made this movie experience possible, on my system in my HT. The P5, gave my system real power, depth and quality.

IMHO, I believe, it is truly, the best purchase, I have made since purchasing, most of my ML's, a little over a year ago...

As you can tell, I wrote the above review just after having acquired the P5, eight months ago..., at the present time having now owned this beautiful sounding, totally awesome SS amplifier for eight months now, I can honestly say it is a joy to listen to every time I fire it up. "Sonic Nirvana" always... The P5 amplifier will be a perfect match to the right pair of tubed mono blocks someday in my system. I just love my Anthem Statement P5 and highly recommend it...

What ML speakers I am driving with the P5: Ascent i's, Theater i, Script i's.

Attachments

• 014_10A.JPG
    014_10A.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 7,709
Last edited:
Hi Robin, Nice review, BTW what are you presently using for a pre-amp. Also are you sure the P-5 is Class "A", I thought it was an AB design piece ???

Thank you

twich54 said:
Hi Robin, Nice review, BTW what are you presently using for a pre-amp. Also are you sure the P-5 is Class "A", I thought it was an AB design piece ???
Dave,

Thank you for the kind words... :)
Currently I'm using my Pioneer 59 TXi Reciever, as my pre-amp / processor. It works well in that role and also drives the rear two channels - my cheapy Sony three-way tower speakers.
I think you are quite correct, technically the Anthem P5 is a Class A/B amplifier. I will modify my review accordingly. Thanks again. :D

Anthem Statement P5 Question

Hello Robin,

I've a question for you regarding P5.

When you turn your system on (TV, Satellite, Preamp and amp), do the speakers make a popping sound?

What mode do you use to start a session? Have you set the P5 to "Manual-On", "Auto-On" or "Trigger-On"?

I'd like to purchase this amp but I'd like to know if P5 forces the ML speakers to make a popping sound when you turn everything on?

Anthem P5... Q's...

Hello Robin,

I've a question for you regarding P5.

When you turn your system on (TV, Satellite, Preamp and amp), do the speakers make a popping sound?

What mode do you use to start a session? Have you set the P5 to "Manual-On", "Auto-On" or "Trigger-On"?

I'd like to purchase this amp but I'd like to know if P5 forces the ML speakers to make a popping sound when you turn everything on?

Hi.

Sorry for the late response... :eek:

My Ascents never have made a popping sound at start-up or at any time with the P5.

I have my P5 set to "Auto-On".

Yes, the P5 is a fantastic 5 amp in one piece of gear. :D
It is dead quiet and as I stated above never any popping it's just very so accurate, musical and powerful. :music: Never forces my Ascents or my other ML speakers I have connected to it. I am thrilled with this amazing amplifier.

I am still saving for a D2v Processor with ARC and HIMD 1.4 connectivity for my HT system.

HTH

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back