Has anyone ever......

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miljac said:
After buying the Ascents we spent some money on buying a couple of ficus benjamini that thave found their places behind the speakers (was recommended by the people in the shop where I bought them). Was quite an improvement. Put some lighting below, a nice way to improve sound & enjoy evening listening.
I tried something like this, diffusion, and it brought the sound forward in my listening room. I then tried absorption (Auralex) and found I liked the absorption sound better. Like everything in our hobby we should try them out to see what we like better. Glad to hear the Fiscus trees helped out your sound.

Dan

Interesting. Not sure about absorption/diffusion in ficus case, in our room they pulled the sound back behind the speakers and extended it to the sides.

I'm sure there are far better dedicated treatments out there; thought this one might be worth mentioning - beside improving the sound stage looks great, has a very high WAF and costs probably way less than a dedicated solution (although not being cheap, buying full-grown plants - and having to take care of them).

I tried moving the speakers out and it sounded like poop. I feel that the back wave bounces around messing up the front wave. How is the bass when you have 5 feet behind the speaker? With a rat shack meter i hit 102 db with out a sub! As far as " probably not hearing what my speakers are capable of " i know what a good system sounds like being in the business for 9 yrs.

My intent wasn't to hang you from a tree. I assumed you were talking about a 2 channel system rather than HT. Makes more sense in a HT application where speaker location is more restricted.

When I used my Ascents for 2 channel I had them placed 5 feet from the front wall the bass was tighter and less boomy but with less bass volume and it's fine for me that way. The sound from the panels was sweet and I think it is because the back wave reflections are more in balance with the front wave and creates a more realistic soundstage and imaging or "holographic" sound. This is what I shoot for when searching for the best speaker setup. Unfortunately, my room is not totally dedicated for audio so the best location would result in very odd furniture arrangements so I have to compromise somewhat.

When I had Aeons out in the middle of the room they produced some of the best quality bass I ever heard from them. Not the loudest bass but the best sounding bass being more tight and controlled. Again, I'm talking 2 channel listening in this situation.

Now that I have then in my HT room I don't have the room to move them any further than 2.5 feet from the front wall and one side wall is about 2 feet. The other doesn't have much of a side wall. The bass is good but it's a better room acoustically anyway.

I'll have to try the cloth behind the panel tweak in my HT room but for now I have WAF approved ficus trees behind them.

Last edited:
miljac said:
Interesting. Not sure about absorption/diffusion in ficus case, in our room they pulled the sound back behind the speakers and extended it to the sides.
Cool...and that is why I always suggest people try different things. Different rooms and components exhibit or have different problems and require different solutions.

I agree on the WAF with the Fiscus, and you can find them for reasonable cost too!!!

Dan

Latest posts

Back