System #101 (Summit X)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are ya gonna do with your SACD's? The redbook layer of hybrid discs is not as high-res as SACD. That's mainly why I bought the Oppo!

I prefer the server over sacd. I'm sure some day we will be able to rip some how. If not thats ok as it makes up less then 10% of my cd ccollection.

Awesome George! Welcome to the Server Farm ;)

BTW, while I listen to my server 99% of the time as well, I do occasionally like to dust off a physical SACD disc which is why I added an Oppo (93) to my stable (again with the farm references). I also do not currently have a traditional pre-amp in my 2-channel setup... so, I use a de-embedder to extract the transcoded DSD via HDMI from the oppo --> Toslink into the DAC2 and voila - excellent 24bit 88Khz sound quality fills the room. Something to at least consider if, like me, staring at a stack of otherwise unusable SACDs just doesn't sit right with your inner-consumer.

Cheers

I have removed my Pass Labs XP-20 preamp out of my system. Using the DAC as a pre now. System sounds even better now. Like if a tiny bit of glare has been removed and now hearing more of the music then just sound.

Last edited:
I reinstalled the preamp as it performed better. Without pre it was thin and boring. I think it's best to keep your pre and amp together as they are a perfect match when they are from the same breed and model.

Just posted new photos showing the new Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter and relocating the rack off to the left side.

What's your impression of the Ref Link vs. your old USB/SPDIF converter?

So far I have experience jaw dropping silence total freedom from noise and grunge allowing the music to play freely with such clarity, tonality and a bloom to die for. Has definitely expanded the sound stage and provide a more 3 dimensional frame work which positions the instruments and vocals to play from thin air with such accuracy and delightfulness. This 3 box DAC is just OUTSTANDING!!!

audioaficionado5.jpg

Last edited:
very nice , I am a great fan of bel canto dacs and use the same vbs system with my summit x

don`t quite understand the 3 box dac bit , I only have one dac 3.5vbs with vbs psu . whats the third piece ?

Last edited:
very nice , I am a great fan of bel canto dacs and use the same vbs system with my summit x

don`t quite understand the 3 box dac bit , I only have one dac 3.5vbs with vbs psu . whats the third piece ?

Thanks! Third box is the USB converter. It converts USB to ST Glass Fiber. It also has it's on power source and does not rely on the power from the USB at all. I consider this to be one of the best isolation solution for the DAC.

Not that you need another pat on the back, but you have built a very attractive system. Nice Work. I'm going to recommend that MGMT give you a raise. :)

Hi George, great pics of a very nice looking system. Congrats!

How do you like Jriver? I'm thinking of switchng from Foobar to it so I can do both video and audio from one UI/platform.

Not that you need another pat on the back, but you have built a very attractive system. Nice Work. I'm going to recommend that MGMT give you a raise. :)

Hi George, great pics of a very nice looking system. Congrats!

How do you like Jriver? I'm thinking of switchng from Foobar to it so I can do both video and audio from one UI/platform.

Thanks for the kind remarks Julian and Jon.

Jon, I highly recommend Jriver for both movies and music. I have 2 Jriver servers, one is a dedicated movie server and the other is my dedicated music server. They are both using Jriver v19. For movies and music it can't get any better for playback and managing your inventory of music and movies. I've been using it for a few years now. It just rocks! :rocker:

Last edited:
I've upgraded JRiver v19 to v20 about a month ago and find it has better SQ. Play back sounds more natural & smooth. Another words a more organic sound. How sweet it is! :music:

Last edited:
I've have recently added 2 additional 20amp circuits. They makes 4 dedicated 20amp circuits. I also just received a Shunyata Triton for the front end which is plugged into one of the dedicated 20amp circuits. I now have one amp & Summit plugged in to each BPT power conditioner which each are plugged in to their own dedicated 20amp circuit. The SQ is even better now. Feels like the system can really breath now and not straining to put out some high quality SPLs. Proper power is so important!!!

Back