Got the Subwoofer bug...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCHeliGuy

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I've got it in my head that I need an SVS SB-16 Ultra for my home theater system.

My ole Velodyne is getting on in years, and suddenly I have this urge to have serious bass POWER !!!!

My media room is 16' x 22' in the basement in a corner of my foundation. I'm happy with the performance of my Definitive surrounds and center channel and just need some earth shattering bass to finish it off :)

Last edited:
I've got it in my head that I need an SVS SB-16 Ultra for my home theater system.

My ole Velodyne is getting on in years, and suddenly I have this urge to have serious bass POWER !!!!

My media room is 16' x 22' in the basement in a corner of my foundation. I'm happy with the performance of my Definitive surrounds and center channel and just need some earth shattering bass to finish it off :)

Buy a Balance Force and never look back. I have a 210 - lighting fast, accurate and punchy deserving to sit next to your Ethos.

I use a svs sb-16 ultra subwoofer with a jl audio f112 subwoofer in my home theater. The SVS sb 16 subwoofer is not boomy at all and will match up with the quality of my jl audio f112/f110 - i also have a jl audio f110 subwoofer in my 2 channel system. I would buy another svs sb-16 ultra subwoofer. The SVS sb-16 is not just a subwoofer for home theater, it is a fine subwoofer for music.

Last edited:
Buy a Balance Force and never look back. I have a 210 - lighting fast, accurate and punchy deserving to sit next to your Ethos.

My Ethos are in a separate room from my home theater and I'm perfectly happy with the bass from my Ethos for music.

Watching a movie and wanting special effects from a sub-woofer is a completely different animal.

You do realize it's a virtual certainty that you'll need at least two subs to achieve a reasonably flat response throughout the modal region, right?

You do realize it's a virtual certainty that you'll need at least two subs to achieve a reasonably flat response throughout the modal region, right?

I'm not worried about it. I have a single sub now and where it is positioned it covers the area I care about pretty well. I just want more impact and lower extension.

That said, I just started to lose interest. I found another wood working project and there are a couple power tools that have jump up to the top of my list of things I want to buy next. Just proves that men are just as fickle as women :)

Last edited:
My Ethos are in a separate room from my home theater and I'm perfectly happy with the bass from my Ethos for music.

Watching a movie and wanting special effects from a sub-woofer is a completely different animal.

Well, I am not sure about that. When I watch an action movie with the 210, it digs very deep. And this is where it sets itself apart from the rest of the herd. The special effects fill and empty the room at a lightning speed which does not muddy up the dialogue. I must say it is addictive. The Balanced Force are exemplary for music and movies.

Back