Dmp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I received my new PS Audio DMP yesterday which along with the DS DAC replaces my Ayre C5xe player in the big rig. Although I'll have more to say when it is broken in I have to say at the outset this thing is a paradigm shifter for me. It took about thirty seconds of listening to my go to evaluation CD (An old Ryko Au 20 recording of Frank Zappa's Apostrophe) to realize this was money well spent. I am using an Audioquest Coffee HDMI cable between the two pieces and am using Shunyata Alpha powercords on both. Interconnects are balanced TEO audio liquid cables between DAC and arc preamp. Yes, the DSD thing is wicked and cool and sounds fabulous, but what I am hearing from redbook is... inspirational. This PS combo may be the best bang for the buck digital extant.

good to hear Tony, now as they say....time to 'rediscover your music again' !

I received my new PS Audio DMP yesterday which along with the DS DAC replaces my Ayre C5xe player in the big rig. Although I'll have more to say when it is broken in I have to say at the outset this thing is a paradigm shifter for me. It took about thirty seconds of listening to my go to evaluation CD (An old Ryko Au 20 recording of Frank Zappa's Apostrophe) to realize this was money well spent. I am using an Audioquest Coffee HDMI cable between the two pieces and am using Shunyata Alpha powercords on both. Interconnects are balanced TEO audio liquid cables between DAC and arc preamp. Yes, the DSD thing is wicked and cool and sounds fabulous, but what I am hearing from redbook is... inspirational. This PS combo may be the best bang for the buck digital extant.

This is great to hear.... I have not heard many bad things about the DMP.... I have the DAC and have so much on disc it is crazy - so I just can't go there.... but congrats!!! They make a great product don't they?

This is great to hear.... I have not heard many bad things about the DMP.... I have the DAC and have so much on disc it is crazy - so I just can't go there.... but congrats!!! They make a great product don't they?

I had frankly hoped that computer audio would obviate the need to spin discs and I have spent a lot of money on modding an already expensive mac mini, purchasing appropriate DACs using great cables, great powercords, downloading high res audio to my mac mini, then to an Aurender I purchased when the mac mini still didn't sound as good as the Ayre C5xe I have used for the last ten or so years. My wife complains every time I try to play it. No matter how you slice it computer audio hasn't worked out in my system. So far I am pleased with this PS audio combo although it still doesn't sound as good as my 30 year old VPI. At least in my system, computer audio has become a convenience medium. Wouldn't you know I'd purchase a killer transport/DAC combo just when every brick and mortar store is bailing on silver disc! At least I still have our friends in Kansas to sell me some discs.

You know. I just use jriver on a laptop ... use an audioquest diamond USB ... out to a wyred 4 sound recovery into the DS. do zero processing via jriver and just send bit perfect to the dac. I've got a ton of hi res but ripped cd seems to sound great as well. Hmm.

You know. I just use jriver on a laptop ... use an audioquest diamond USB ... out to a wyred 4 sound recovery into the DS. do zero processing via jriver and just send bit perfect to the dac. I've got a ton of hi res but ripped cd seems to sound great as well. Hmm.

I also use JRiver running on my music server using an async USB to my OPPO 105D DAC and it sounds great!

A CD is just data storage, it doesn't matter if a music file is being read from a disk or a hard drive. Using a hard drive is just a lot more convenient.

I had frankly hoped that computer audio would obviate the need to spin discs and I have spent a lot of money on modding an already expensive mac mini, purchasing appropriate DACs using great cables, great powercords, downloading high res audio to my mac mini, then to an Aurender I purchased when the mac mini still didn't sound as good as the Ayre C5xe I have used for the last ten or so years. My wife complains every time I try to play it. No matter how you slice it computer audio hasn't worked out in my system. So far I am pleased with this PS audio combo although it still doesn't sound as good as my 30 year old VPI. At least in my system, computer audio has become a convenience medium. Wouldn't you know I'd purchase a killer transport/DAC combo just when every brick and mortar store is bailing on silver disc! At least I still have our friends in Kansas to sell me some discs.

It's very easy to make a computer sound like sh1t. No, power cords and USB cables aren't going to make a difference - but one off setting (like lossy volume control or equalisation) and you've got a very screwed up source!

Good news is that it's not that hard to get it to sound good. Technically - better than CD, as at least a computer can buffer and re-read. A CD gets an error, that's it.

It is probably time for me to update my system since I have moved twice! So here goes:

NAME: Anthony Claxton
Martin Logan models: Summit
BF 212
Year purchased: Summits 2006
BF 212 2021
Mods: Isoacoustics Gaia II feet (Summits),
Shunyata alpha powercords (summits)
Shunyata venom powercord (BF 212)

Associated equipment: VPI Prime, SDS, Koetsu Rosewood Sig
PS Audio Direct Stream Memory player
PS Audio Direct stream DAC
Aurender NH 100
Magnum Dynalab FT 101
arc ph-7 phono preamp
arc ref 3 preamp
arc ref 110 amp
Roon core: Mojo Audio modded mac mini with linear power supply, SSD
Uptone Audio Ether Regen switch
Purist Audio Dominus balanced interconnects and speaker cables
Purist Audio Colossus balanced interconnects (sub)
TEO Audio balanced liquid cable between PS audio DAC and ref 3
Revolution Audio I2S over HDMI cable between PS Audio Memory player and DAC
Purist Audio cat 7 ethernet
Purist Audio 30th Anniversary USB Aurender to DAC
Silent Source Signature ph-7 to ref 3
Audioquest Leopard tonearm cable
My room is not as optimal due to being nearly square (16.5 by 16). I have done the best I can with tube traps, room tunes, rugs and furniture.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back