Variable noise from bass unit in vantage speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ole

Reaction score
One of my Vantage speaker has begun to emit a strange scraping/static noise of variable intensity. It occurs when speaker is off and not connected to an amp, and also when playing music. It is not constant and also varies a lot in volume. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any idea what the problem could be?

Hola. All electrostatic speakers can make odd noises once and then. This is a debris into the panel. Vacuum them. Just try to find where area the odd noise has more intensity. Unplug them from the Mains AC line, and wait about them minutes prior proceed to vacuum. Or with the aid of a brush, just scrub lightly where you find that the debris might be. Here is what your operating manual says:

"... A problem has recently developed with my MartinLogan speakers. The right speaker seems to be hissing even when the amplifier and such are not connected. I was wondering if this sounds like any problem you have encountered previously and have a simple solution for or might it be something which will need to be looked into more carefully.
Your speakers are dusty. See the vacuuming FAQ. The electrostatic charge on the element has attracted airborne dust or pollen. Since 1993, all of our speakers have been built with a charging circuit board that only charges the electrostatic element when music plays. At other times they are not charged and cannot collect dust. You can get the same benefit by simply unplugging them whenever
they are not in use. A power strip is an easy way to do that..."

Happy listening!

Hi!

Thank you for replying. However, the problem is not with the electrostat, but with the bass unit. So there is some problem with the built in amp presumably.. If someone should have a schematic of the inner workings of the amplifier, it would probably be helpful..

regards,

ole

Mmmmm, then what you need probably is the power amp board. There is no service parts for it. Its a Ice Power Amp made by Bang and Olufsen. Contact the service dept of Martin Logan. They will guide you better to track what it is and you can get the parts from them too.

Please send to me your email address via PM.

Happy listening!

Latest posts

Back