Thread: Help - electrical advice

Super User

Default Help - electrical advice

Hi all. Need advice.

I have a sunfire signature amp. A Cary slp98p. The fuse in the external power supply of the pre continues to blow after anywhere from 5-30 hrs.

To debug it I disconnected everything - let the pre stay on 48 hours straight. No issue. Next hooked up amp - turned it on with no source - nothing playing and nothing other than amp connected. Fuse blew in power supply of pre about 12 hours later. This combo has been playing together for around 10 years.

Can anyone give me a clue how adding the amp to the output would cause the fuse to blow in the power supply of the pre? I've been talking to the mfg and we are scratching our heads.

Do you have a DMM meter? If so measure the DC voltage on the audio output. Then with no interconnect cables, measure the AC voltage from it's chassis to the amp's chassis.

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Do you have a DMM meter? If so measure the DC voltage on the audio output. Then with no interconnect cables, measure the AC voltage from it's chassis to the amp's chassis.
    Yes. I have to get to the store for some measuring devices. In the meantime - I hooked it to a secondary system just to see if things blow on the second system. Same approach - different room different amp nothing else connected

Super User

I added an upskirt photo of problem-preamp so those of us at home can follow along.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    I added an upskirt photo of problem-preamp so those of us at home can follow along.
    OMG, what could possibly go wrong?
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)