Easy "fix" for failing Squeezebox Touch remote control

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
FYI, for those still using a Squeezebox Touch...

Last year, my Squeezebox Touch stopped responding to the remote. I tried another Squeezebox remote, but that also didn't work, so I reverted to using Squeeze Commander on my Android phone and tablet. I (like many others on the Slimdevices Forum) assumed the Touch I.R. sensor had failed, and some even performed major surgery on their units, soldering in replacement sensors.

Turns out, somebody discovered the problem was really due to the Touch A/C adapter slowly failing, progressively putting out lower voltage until it dropped below the threshold needed to power the I.R. sensor. A simple "fix" is to buy another OEM Squeezebox Touch A/C adapter (available on eBay, Amazon, etc.), or one of the higher-end linear power supplies. If you aren't using the Touch USB feature, even a lower-output Squeezebox 2 or 3 adapter is enough to power the Touch and I.R. sensor, without degrading fidelity.

To this day, I still haven't found anything better for streaming standard and high-res files than the SB Touch, and associated software. The open-source community has continued developing new and improved features. The SB Touch can now even play DSD files, and stream Hi-Res Tidal!

See Alan, you had no idea how many good thinks would happen once you retire. :) Has Ellen given you her honey-do list now you are a house husband like me?

See Alan, you had no idea how many good thinks would happen once you retire. :) Has Ellen given you her honey-do list now you are a house husband like me?

Ellen is thrilled, and now tells me... "I finally have a wife" :D

I am also working on a "hubby-do" list... which includes learning/playing with Rasberry Pi as music server!

We'll hafta get together to commissurate!

To this day, I still haven't found anything better for streaming standard and high-res files than the SB Touch, and associated software. The open-source community has continued developing new and improved features. The SB Touch can now even play DSD files, and stream Hi-Res Tidal!

As hard as I have looked, there is *NOTHING* that compares to the SB Touch for streaming.

And I tell you, I have done more than look - I have experimented.

I, too, have experimented with a Raspberry Pi. Very impressed. You can easily load up PiCorePlayer, and buy a I2S digital board for peanuts. PiCore with the I2S board sounds every bit as good as the SB Touch, and the wireless on the 'Pi is just as good too. With PiCore, if you hide the 'Pi, you won't know you don't have a Squeezebox.

But I've done more than that - I've also run up Volumio and Rune on the Pi. Neither are anywhere near as good as the Squeezebox solution. Nor was anything I was able to acheive with an old Android TV box that I had lying around. UPNP sucks.

I'll also add that power supplies are obviously a common failure on SBs. I had the wifi slowly fail on my living-room SB3. It kept rebuffering and dropping off the network. I ordered a new network card for it (thankfully only $3 on eBay) to no avail, and it ended up being a power supply also!

Last edited:
Ellen is thrilled, and now tells me... "I finally have a wife" :D

I am also working on a "hubby-do" list... which includes learning/playing with Rasberry Pi as music server!

We'll hafta get together to commissurate!

I'll bake some brownies and we can talk about proper vacuuming techniques.

Latest posts

Back