Thread: New member, longtime owner

Lightbulb New member, longtime owner

Hi folks-

Hoss in Atlanta here. I’ve owned various ML setups for the past 10-15 yrs. I had (and sold) a number of different configurations given my changing needs over the years, but now have a question for those of you that may have some experience with this:

I’ve just moved, and have a larger den area (~20x22 and ~12 ft ceiling) where I’d like to place my pair of Theos. I have a different setup entirely for home theater, but for my den, I’d like to put the Theos, a sub, and a center for mixed audio use (music, movies, & TV). What I need now is a center that will work well either sitting on a smaller fireplace mantel (~8 inches deep) or that would sound decent mounted on the wall (wood paneling wall over a fireplace). I considered buying a used motif or stage, but just not sure how well that would match both the Theos as well as the need for the size of room. Any suggestions here? Shall I mix & match, and if so, with what?

FYI: I am running a Marantz AV7702 and a Rotel RMB-1555. I am likely planning on bi-amping the Theos with separate channels for the electrostat panels and the woofer seperately (@120w/channel), plus the center. No intention for rears.

Bonus: I have a sub, but can afford to replace it with a new reasonably-priced or used one (~$1k or less). What might be suggested to make up for the passive 8” woofers on the Theos? Also, are there ANY wireless subs out there worth their salt?

Thanks!

Welcome Hoss, I'm not much of an HT / multi channel guy so I'll let the experts chime in !
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Hi Hoss, welcome to the club!

That is a nice sized room, but the ratios will present a bit of a challenge on the low-end, so I'd recommend two subs minimum so you can balance out the LF.
    I actually deployed four subs into a cube of a small room and have amazingly clean and smooth low-end.

For wireless sub hookup, there are several kits, including one from ML, but I think they all are some variation of commodity parts, and the one from parts-express is probably as good as any other. But I'd encourage you to find a way to run cables to the sub locations, as that's a lower-latency, more stable connection.

As for subs, I DIY mine for incredible value and performance, but there are a ton of good subs, so used is generally a great way to increase the value proposition there.

As for center channels, given the constraints you outline, I'd say the new Focus ESL C18 is the perfect match for you setup, it can even be wall mounted. Not cheap, but the best possible match to the Theos. None of the older centers would be appropriate, as they are dipoles.
    A lower cost alternative might be the Electromotion C, as it is a monopole as well. But a much deeper cabinet than the C18.

I have a similar pre-amp, the Marantz AV8802A, and do active crossovers and bi-amp all channels, so your idea of biamping the woofer and panels is a good step in the right direction.
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Oh, and if you ever get the upgrade bug (and if you hang out here long enough, you will ), I'd be interested in purchasing your Theos. I need to build side speakers so I can have a full 7.2.4 rig. You are local, so no shipping hassles either.
    Jonathan

Thanks for the welcome, Dave!

Jonathan, your input has been incredibly helpful! On your advice, I went to the local Magnolia Design Center to demo the Focus ESL C18. Despite having an impressive array of ML products, they did not have a Focus, nor did anyplace nearby. So after reading and discussing with the staff there, I took the plunge and ordered it without even hearing it! First time I've done so, but I am confident that there is no better ML center that I can mount or place on the mantle (which obviously excludes the Illusion). Got it in the walnut finish. Haven't gotten confirmation on delivery yet, but I am assuming a couple weeks to get it.

I may need to tackle the sub soon - and am thinking of trying two wireless Dynamo 1000's (in the two back corners of the room). I may be able do a wired option to just one side of the room with some floor modification (not on a solid wall), but I would really like to avoid that if possible! Once I get the center and bi-amp the fronts, I will then deal with the sub configuration.

And yes, I spent some time playing with pairs of the CLX art & Expressions the other day (they didn't have the Renaissance) - so I will undoubtedly want to upgrade at some point. If so, I will definitely keep you in mind!

I'll report back on my impressions of the Focus once it arrives. At the same time that I ordered the Focus, I ended up switching out the TV I just bought last month (Samsung 9000 series) for the latest Sony, looking for a better processor. My wife asked me if I was going to spend all that on just the center, that shouldn't I spent at least the same on a better TV? I agreed. Good thing she appreciates quality audio though!

Ha, nice upgrade there on the TV, hopefully the OLED based Sony.

Congrats on the Focus purchase, I look forward to your take on that one.

As for the subs, good choice to go with two, and use the two independent sub outputs of the 7702, as it has support for adjusting gain and delay to each sub independently. It does EQ them together though.

Did the Magnolia have the CLX? If so where in ATL is that? I need to schedule a drop-by and hear those again.
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    I'll report back on my impressions of the Focus once it arrives. At the same time that I ordered the Focus, I ended up switching out the TV I just bought last month (Samsung 9000 series) for the latest Sony, looking for a better processor. My wife asked me if I was going to spend all that on just the center, that shouldn't I spent at least the same on a better TV? I agreed. Good thing she appreciates quality audio though!
    You are going to love the new Focus center channel! I like you purchased it without hearing it and have absolutely no regrets. Wall mounted it looks much better then having it sit on top of my cabinet like the Stage X did. Mine was in the first batch they made and I had some suggestions on their mounting instructions etc. I see some of them did make the cut to the mounting instructions. I mentioned this before on a past thread but I also replaced the power supply. The Focus and Stage X have the same identical wimpy wall wort so after some research I replaced it with a SBooster power supply. Now with both changes it really is a big step up in my opinion.
    Music Rm #503: CLX Art DC / 2-212's / Bricasti M12/28's / Aurender N10 / Nordost: O2 Loom / V2 Pwr Spk & Subs, QX4, QV2, QK1, QB8, Sort Fut, Lift & TC Kones, QKore 6, Earth Grd, Acoustical Panels Media Rm #504: 13A's Balsalt Blk /Descent i's / Vanquish / Focus / Parasound 3-A23 & 31 / 65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60 / Nordost V2/T2/H2 Pwr & IC, H2 HDMI & Net, QK1, QV2, QB8 & QX2 / Entreq SM / SBooster / Sony 4K Blu-ray