SACD With 2 different artists on it.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago I purchased the set of hybrid SACD's by Oscar Peterson. The series is Exclusively For My Friends.

He went to Germany once a year for a few years and was recorded by a music producer there. Apparently he would take family and friends with him, play and record in the producers living room. All of the discs are very well done and I would highly recommend them If you like his music.

The issue I am having is that the 3rd CD " The Way I Really Play" plays perfectly in my player showing it is playing the SACD layer.

I am now trying to rip it to my storage that all the other discs now reside.

When I put it into an CD drive connected to my laptop with JRiver that controls everything what gets recorded is Bob Dylan's CD Oh Mercy. I have tried 3 different times with the same result.

The only conclusion I can come up with is it is a forgery and an DSD layer was added to an existing disc but the labeling on the disc is flawless.

I am going to contact Amazon but It has been so long I'm sure they are going to say there is nothing they can do.

I probably will need to purchase a new one but they are not inexpensive.

Any of you have another idea as to what might have happened?

Curious. Do you have this Dylan disc and have you ever ripped it or played it on your laptop?

You say u can play the sacd layer fine on your player. What about just playing the cd layer?

I am trying to figure out if it is the physical disk or something hosed up in memory on the laptop.

No it is not on my laptop or NAS. It has never been played. Quite odd. I will try it in another player this weekend.

Surprisingly I emailed Amazon Prime and even though it has been over two years they gave me an imitate refund and offered to pay the shipping on another one if I was going to reorder if not available on Prime. They also said to keep the one in question.

Can't ask for much more than that. We will see if the next one plays.

Brad, have you actually played the erroneously ripped track, or just looked at the file name and tags that JRiver assigned.

Perhaps it's just a meta-tag glitch with JRiver, and the actual tracks are really Oscar Peterson.

You're welcome to bring it over to my place and let me try it with dBPowerAmp! :D

Allen, It plays as Bob Dylan and shows the art work for the album.

I'm changing to a new laptop in a few weeks. I'll try it again after the change but don't expect any different result.

I will put it in my car player today and see what happens, if anything.

Allen, It plays as Bob Dylan and shows the art work for the album.

I'm changing to a new laptop in a few weeks. I'll try it again after the change but don't expect any different result.

I will put it in my car player today and see what happens, if anything.

Well here is a thought. Do both artists record for the same label? I believe Dylan is on Columbia. This sounds like a freaking screw up. Haha. U get two albums for the price of one actually. With everything you said it has to be the media. Too bad it wasn't Blood on the Tracks.

If it really has 2 different albums on the CD and SACD layers, it could end up being a valuable "collectible!" :D

I put it in my car player and the screen says Bob Dylan and lists the songs on Oh Mercy but it plays Oscar Peterson.

Previously I only let it rip one track to my NAS and it played Bob Dylan. I let the entire disk rip and it still says Dylan but plays Peterson. ???????????

If I wasn't absolutely sure I can tell the difference between Dylan's voice and Peterson's piano I would think it was all in my head.

At any rate I will receive another copy of the disk in question this week and we will see what happens.

Is it possible to force the JRiver program to change the meta data it is showing?

Hola Chicos. My 2 cents. The players for SA (DSD) format, can read the sampling frequency rate of 2.8MHz and the 44.1KHz of the sampling CD frequency. If your player does not have this double format possibility, the player will reads the lower frequency of 44.1KHz. The CD is a double layer where are both recordings are. Ripping DSD (SA) is not possible unless your ripper device can reads DSD. Also at the ones that can read both formats, you can choose any format.

Happy listening!

To figure out if this was just an anomaly I purchased another copy of the Oscar Peterson disk in question.

Well, it plays Oscar but the Meta Data says it is Bob's "Oh Mercy" just as the first one.

I will be returning this one.

Still quite puzzling.

For what it is worth. I purchased the volume 6 of this set last week. It has the same problem. What I did determine is that the Verve pressings all play fine and transfer Meta Data correctly. The MPS pressings are the disks that have the problem. I will try to search out Verve for the volumes I am missing.

Latest posts

Back