20 amp vs 15 amp power cord

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hey all.

So without raising a ruckus. :). I see a power cord I like on sale and it comes in 15 amp vs 20amp versions. I would have to check but I think the plugs are identical. So given this for a power amp - does it make any diff?? I have 20 amp line in the wall and 15 amp plugs.

Thanks. Cord is shunyata venom HC.

Hey all.

So without raising a ruckus. :). I see a power cord I like on sale and it comes in 15 amp vs 20amp versions. I would have to check but I think the plugs are identical. So given this for a power amp - does it make any diff?? I have 20 amp line in the wall and 15 amp plugs.

Well answered my own question. I guess the connectors are different. I expected that but all pics seemed to indicate otherwise.

Tim, as we talked prior I purchased the same Shunyata PC and performed my own DBT against one of Frank's (Signal Cable) PC's and could not hear a bloody difference. If I were to do it again would I have bought the Venom PC .........no, I'd a bought the Signal Cable one and save a hundred bucks !

.........no, I'd a bought the Signal Cable one and save a hundred bucks !

Which is why my system is wired completely with Signal Cable power cables. I’ve never felt high end power cables made a noticeable difference. Once you have thick enough gauge wire, decent shielding, and quality connectors, anything additional is just (expensive) window dressing. Now the PS Audio P10 power regenerator ... that made a difference! Highly recommended component.

Hey all.

Go with the 15 amp that is more standard for components. Can’t think
Of a good Reason to buy 20 amp unless a particular component requires it

Hola. If you have the chance to listen to both, choose the one that you liked most. If you can not tell a difference, then you know the answer. Once, somebody told me: Roberto, if you like it in a red color, buy the red color. It´s your money and your liking. I used to say: trust in your ears! And now the great Gurus say that your ears are not that precise. Use your long-term memory for this. You can get confused if you use your short-term memory. Short-term memory only last about 15 seconds in a good trained ears! I always let my ears to be the last and final judges.

Happy listening!

Tim, as we talked prior I purchased the same Shunyata PC and performed my own DBT against one of Frank's (Signal Cable) PC's and could not hear a bloody difference. If I were to do it again would I have bought the Venom PC .........no, I'd a bought the Signal Cable one and save a hundred bucks !

Yes - I do have a signal pc which is too short (duh) .. I ended up getting the 15amp - 6' version shunyata for about 70-80 bucks more than franks power cord. It was marked down with free shipping and no taxes. So I figured I'd give it a shot. For whatever reason the signal did seem to be a little loose on my amp. It may just be my amps socket is shallow. I will see if this cord is any different.

Dave - did you ever go direct to amp with that cord or did you just connect it to your power conditioner/ regen?

Rich - so you really like the P10? I hesitate with it because of cost and I don't live in a bad area for electrical.

Rich - so you really like the P10? I hesitate with it because of cost and I don't live in a bad area for electrical.

I do really like it a lot. I power all the main components of both my 2-channel system and my home theater system with it. I think it makes a big difference in the sound of the system, and it has completely saved my butt (and my tweeters) on at least one occasion. It paid for itself in that moment.

As for price, check Underwood HiFi as they often have good deals. Like during the holidays. Hint. Hint.

On 15 & 20 Amp plugs and receptacles:

a] The receptacles in wall outlets are the 5-15R(15 Amp) and the 5-20R(20 Amp)units. (they have different pin arrangements)
The 20 Amp receptacles are only permitted in 20 Amp circuits. If 15 Amp receptacles are used in a 20 Amp circuit, then 2 or more receptacles are required (but that's easy because they come in dual units)
The definition for outlet is the box in the wall where you install a receptacle, but now a mfg and lots of people are calling a receptacle an outlet.
The internal parts of a 15 & 20 Amp receptacle are the same it's just the cover plate that's different.

b] There are 15 & 20 Amp IEC receptacles. (they have different pin arrangements)
I believe that their actual ratings are 13 & 17 Amps.

Note that the only things that limit current flow are circuit breakers and parts failures. It's common for old fashioned light bulbs and compressors to draw10 times their rated current at start-up.

Dave - did you ever go direct to amp with that cord or did you just connect it to your power conditioner/ regen?

no Tim, it's only used with my Denali 6000/s. My amps (mono blocks) have an 8 and 10 foot run and are on their own 20 amp circuit.

Back