Is the Martin Logan brand declining?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, one more time that i will get involved.
Perhaps the biggest improvement on the new from the old is in the bottom end. We have applied more tricks and upgrades there than anything else and as a result, we end up with a box that is deep. We are going to launch some ads that address that initial impression as well as continue the training with dealers so that customers can understand the benefits. We are taking what is otherwise unused space and using that to implement the forceforward, a dash of balanced force, quieter, better, more powerful amplifiers, and bigger internal air volumes so that ARC can get the results without working the system too hard. We also have level control below 70hz and a 200 hz +- 2Db switch in case you can't be perfectly placed but still can modify past ARC to get the balance you need. REMEMBER, general guidance is diameter of the back woofer should be your distance from the wall.
We looked up a popular, similar priced product and it's owner manual suggested that the front panel(the part that makes sound) be at, within an inch or so, the same place the Expression panel will be, meaning that we aren't placing our goods in what we think is too far into the room. We have updated our online manuals to say that as well.

ok, one more time that i will get involved.
Perhaps the biggest improvement on the new from the old is in the bottom end. We have applied more tricks and upgrades there than anything else and as a result, we end up with a box that is deep. We are going to launch some ads that address that initial impression as well as continue the training with dealers so that customers can understand the benefits. We are taking what is otherwise unused space and using that to implement the forceforward, a dash of balanced force, quieter, better, more powerful amplifiers, and bigger internal air volumes so that ARC can get the results without working the system too hard. We also have level control below 70hz and a 200 hz +- 2Db switch in case you can't be perfectly placed but still can modify past ARC to get the balance you need. REMEMBER, general guidance is diameter of the back woofer should be your distance from the wall.
We looked up a popular, similar priced product and it's owner manual suggested that the front panel(the part that makes sound) be at, within an inch or so, the same place the Expression panel will be, meaning that we aren't placing our goods in what we think is too far into the room. We have updated our online manuals to say that as well.

Thanks Peter for the explanation ......:D

Personally I like the big cabinet. I like the look and I believe from a design perspective it will perform better.

That is correct!

Can clearly see comparing the Montis with the ESL 13a that they are wider and higher. Looks to me also that the ESL13a panel is not as curved.

Bottom line, upgrading to ESL13a will be ok from a WAF point of view. Speaker is larger but the footprint from the front is pretty much the same.

I actually did get to hear the 13s at a best buy magnolia in Dallas the last time I was there. Not a good setup but good enough to make me want them as a replacement for my Summits when I am able. I heard a much better setup of the 11s in Austin at the local audio research dealer. They sound great too but my heart says 13s.

I actually did get to hear the 13s at a best buy magnolia in Dallas the last time I was there. Not a good setup but good enough to make me want them as a replacement for my Summits when I am able. I heard a much better setup of the 11s in Austin at the local audio research dealer. They sound great too but my heart says 13s.

and another one comes out of hiding !! Tony, good to hear from you !!

Dang. What amp did they have them hooked to at magnolia ? Please don't tell me a demon receiver!! :)

Yes it was a denon receiver!

Haha. Well what are you going to do. It's such an odd pairing when you have a 15k speaker and amplification that doesn't do it justice. I think it's great people can actually see it and hear it - I just wish magnolia would carry a high end separates line they could pair with the 13s. If they can justify having the 13s on the floor - why can't they justify something on par to drive it with.

And this brings us full circle, back to the original question. What the heck is going on with ML’s brand if their high end ESL speakers are being shown off at Best Buy hooked up to a Denon receiver? Can’t be good for them.

And this brings us full circle, back to the original question. What the heck is going on with ML’s brand if their high end ESL speakers are being shown off at Best Buy hooked up to a Denon receiver? Can’t be good for them.

The real question is whether they are selling more speakers by using stores like Best Buy.
Historically people buying at this level would go to a high end audio shop, however high end audio shops are a dying breed. I'd have to spend 5-6 hours driving in a day to visit one.

There used to be a local place called "The HiFi House" and there used to be a place called "Now Audio" that carried nice equipment including ML.,,

However right now it seems that all we have are home theater installation teams and most do not have show rooms, but we do have a Best Buy.

So if you are a manufacturer and you want to move product, what do you do to get your product in front of people?

A better question may be what has happened to this market such that it can't support local high end audio shops and I think the answer is obvious. People are used to point and click shopping. They read reviews, come to a decision and buy, ONLINE! Many of you may consider this crazy, but it is exactly what I did. I purchased my OPPO 105D directly from OPPO. I purchased my amplifier directly from the manufacturer and I remote ordered my ML speakers from a HiFi place in Nashville. They did their best to match a price I found for the same speakers online, so online shopping is definitely cutting into their revenue as well.

Personally I like buying directly from manufacturers especially on big ticket items. I feel like the money is going to support the manufacturer and they have the option to lower the price if they remove the intermediate markup.

The best rowing machine I know of is the Concept 2 rower. These are the default machines at any rowing club. They have a large following and have lots of online racing and competitions in general. I got mine WAY back in 1994 and can still buy parts for it. It is built extremely well and I have purchased accessories for mine over the years. Mine is a Model C and they have had a Model D and E since then. Support is excellent and I consider the pricing a relative bargain. They are a great example of a top of their market manufacturer that sells direct.

Last edited:
Good point Rich. With more people making purchase decisions solely based on internet research it would make it more imperative for ML to establish an online presence. Mis information can easily sink new products. Considering the cost of traditional marketing, having a couple of people manage forums shouldn't be too much.

Somewhere on Martin Logan's website they state explicitly that you can drive their speakers with a receiver, so you can hardly blame Best Buy for doing so.....ML says it can be done, so demo it!

I think one area that is a missed opportunity is at shows. Kef and a few others have more then one room. Last year at Axpona the 15's were in two rooms but would it not of been better to have the second room with maybe 3-4 models of ML below what ever they have as the main room. I'm assuming at the new venue this year the will have the Neolith. It would be nice to have a set of 15's, 13's and 11's in another room that swap every two hours for people to listen too.

Latest posts

Back