Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Is the Martin Logan brand declining?

Same with me as well. The first time I listened to electrostatic speakers was a private VIP room in a club around 20 yrs ago. I was into car audio at the time (in my 20's) but it made a very big impression. I never heard anything so transparent and so clear. It was like sound was coming out of thin air. I forgot (or maybe I was too buzzed) to remember the make and model of the speakers but do remember thinking to myself that I will own a pair of electrostatic speakers someday. The club owner did say he spent over $200K on the audio equipment in that room so whatever it was it was top of the line.

Electromotion ESL, Stage, EM-FX2, AV123 MFW-15 with Turbo Kit, Marantz AV7702MKII, Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 Five Series II

Mark,

It was an itch for me as well. My dream system was Martin Logans with Mark Levinson amps back in the early 90's. Unfortunately, I've acquired the upgrade bug which I suppose I should squash.

But, agree with you that buying MLs is a fashion statement of sorts. Electrostatics are relatively rare and from a technical viewpoint are interesting. My Montis sound better than my old
    cone speakers. But is that because they are electrostatics or because they cost 8 times as much? I don't know.

I bought a Mazda RX-7 with the rotary engine for much the same reason. A unique engine.

After my Quad 57s I realized that I could not go back from electrostats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    After my Quad 57s I realized that I could not go back from electrostats.
    +1. They're certainly unique.
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classť CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

OK, so, tl;dr, but some good points made. I think we're at the tail end of a pendulum swing that began with the iPad and MP3, but I observe is starting to swing back to an earnest interest in the experience of music, not just the hearing of it.

I think the rise of high-res services like Tidal, incorporation of high performance but quite affordable DACs (yes, you could say I'm biased) and a younger market that is looking for substance and value over marketing flim-flam and name cache may be playing a part in, a different explain, the resurgence of some brands.

In all, I think it's a combination of factors. The next few years will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hammerhead; 01-17-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    Krell KRC-3 / Bryston 4B-ST / ReQuest 2nd Gen / HiFiBerry DAC