Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Martin Logan brand declining?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad225 View Post
    Equipment purchasing will become a vacation destination.

"Hey dear lets go to NY and listen to some ML speakers. Since were there we can do a few days of site seeing."

I might need to work on that one but, you get the idea.
    Great idea! Lol, my wife and I are going to NYC next year to see a show. I'll take advantage of that to do some auditioning. Assuming I can find an audio store there.

But seriously, if being an audiophile will require you to be so rich that you need to take a plane trip to audition, then the hobby might be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by RCHeliGuy View Post
    Not obsessively, no

BTW I'm finding my VR rig is much more social. I have a friend and his son coming over this week and another couple and their kids later on this week followed by a neighbor next week. A couple of them have listened to my stereo for a few hours, but this seems to capture a lot more interest.

It's kind of like when I used to own a houseboat. There was no lack of friends(and others) wanting to hang out on the warm weekends.
    Mark that was meant as a joke. Though by my own admission I am obsessed to a point with my hobby.
    As you know there many people that will not purchase without hearing equipment at a store or even at home. There is nothing wrong with either approach. I have purchased equipment without hearing just by reviews and comments of people I have faith in. I have purchased equipment listened to it and sold it when It was not what I wanted.

Though serious listening can be social, most times, for me it is not. My preference is to focus on and be lost in the music. Do I ever have groups of friends/relatives during an evening just listen casually and talk, yes. Definitely your VR and RC copters are much more social.

From my prospective/observation seeing your Helicopters and Virtuality Reality driving and flying seems no different than those of us that would take and deep interest/obsession in their audio hobby. To a point there is nothing wrong with obsession.

Have you never driven somewhere to try out a new controller, flying machine or piece of VR equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad225 View Post
    Have you never driven somewhere to try out a new controller, flying machine or piece of VR equipment?
    Actually I haven't.

I got the VR equipment so I could experience it. I did all my research online.

I pre-ordered my last RC transmitter before it's design was finalized. The company had a track record and when I saw what they were planning to produce, I had to buy one just to support what they were doing which was EXTREMELY disruptive in that space. I've had it 4 years and still love it. It was a breakthrough piece of equipment.

My two favorite helicopters were purchased from what is basically a single man operation in Germany. The first I was put on a 6 month waiting list and the 2nd I got on the list for it 3 years before it was ready. However I did see a pre-production copy of the 2nd heli at a big flying the year before it was ready.

I purchase the vast majority of my tools online without ever having seen them in person.

So far I have no regrets in buying big ticket items this way.

BTW I'm not suggesting that taking the time to check things out is a bad thing. It's just not how I like to spend my time.

I guess my point was more that I have almost no need for brick and mortar establishments anymore with everything I can find on the Internet.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Iím curious about this. Iíve been a member of this forum for over ten years now. When I started, it seemed like there was so much interest in and enthusiasm for this brand.....
    Could just be a matter of demographics.

As I've gotten older I've changed my hobbies from sitting ones (stereo listening, driving an old Porsche) to more active ones in an attempt to get into shape. As a result I've taken over six inches off my waist. Perhaps there are other people doing the same and they drop out as I have for the last seven years.

Based on how I've seen the youth of today abuse their hearing, I'd invest in hearing loss clinics over anything high end stereo related.

I just came to see what's changed in the old forum and saw this thread. Pretty much the sane trend we all saw a decade ago coming into being now.
    George; Architect
    Aerius 1992 vintage
    Tube powered at last!
    System # 42
    System Link

Wow ........another voice from the past, George, nice to hear you've gotten yourself back in shape. Still have that hovercraft gizmo you were working on ?
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Happy to see that there is renewed interaction going on on this forum. I have to admit I haven't been that active myself but I do check the forum on a daily base and I have got very good advice over the years. MY love for ML started with the orignal CLS's, at that time demo'ed with some VTL Ichiban's. Must have been 1986 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by twich54 View Post
    Wow ........another voice from the past, George, nice to hear you've gotten yourself back in shape. Still have that hovercraft gizmo you were working on ?
    I haven't tinkered with it in a couple of years, the rubber seals on the fuel tank went so it could not suck up gas, then the pull rope broke.

Glorious plans for it, but it sits in wait.

Also sitting in wait for a resistor upgrade to get working again are my two SE-100 Golden Tube Audio amps.

I'm at that point in life where everything I own is all worn out and I either don't have the time or want to go down that rabbit hole of spending money all over again.

Exercise is great but there is no social element doing it by myself. I've got another expensive hobby now, cigars and it gets me out to the cigar lounge. Everything in moderation though.
    George; Architect
    Aerius 1992 vintage
    Tube powered at last!
    System # 42
    System Link

Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    I've got another expensive hobby now, cigars and it gets me out to the cigar lounge. Everything in moderation though.
    George, I've had that 'hobby' for well over forty years now, though I have cut back quite a bit. I'm up in Scranton 2-3 time a month, we have a great cigar bar called 'The Big House' , great cigars , cocktails and lovely ladies to serve both.

http://bighousetobacco.com

if you're ever in the area give me a shout !
    Dave

Hey Guys , I still peek in from time to time. Good conversation going on.
    I've tried everything other than jumping out of a plane,
    but nothing gives you an adrenaline rush like racing a car.
    - Nigel Mansell

I do as well.

Especially when I was able to score a pair of Walnut Expression 13A's today.

My local retailer "lost" their lease and had a 2 day blowout sale.

I got them to upgrade my Montis as they were an absolute steal at 60% off retail. I still can't believe they fell into my lap.

Wow! Great deal! Looks like Sound Advice is out-of-business for the 2nd time! Too bad.
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
    Click here to see my entire sytem. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobs View Post
    I do as well.

I got them to upgrade my Montis as they were an absolute steal at 60% off retail. I still can't believe they fell into my lap.
    Mobs,

So you've upgraded from Montis to 13A's? That's just the upgrade I've been thinking about.

I'd be really curious to see how the new ones sound compared to the Montis.

Are the 13A's noticeably larger in the room than the Montis?

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by rpokuls View Post
    Mobs,

So you've upgraded from Montis to 13A's? That's just the upgrade I've been thinking about.

I'd be really curious to see how the new ones sound compared to the Montis.

Are the 13A's noticeably larger in the room than the Montis?

Thx.
    I got the 13A's unboxed and set up last night.

From a profile view, they are much larger than the Montis. For example, I was able to put my 2 Montis into one single 13A box. Then all of the packing materials into the other 13A box. So the 13A's are about double the depth of the Montis.

I should add that I do have my original Montis boxes, but they are in the attic and I really had no time for that adventure as getting the 13A's connected was my first priority. So I covered the Montis and put them both into one 13A box. lol.

From the front, the 13A's are only slightly wider and a bit taller.

In my set up, with the space I kept my Montis from my back wall, the back of the 13A's are now close to the back wall, but the panel is still about where I used to keep Montis.

With the woofer enclosure being so deep now, it is probably a good thing as it keeps users from putting the speaker panels too close to the back wall. I'm sure you keep your Montis front panel a few feet from the back wall. That empty space would simply be occupied by the 13A's woofer enclosure.

They were daunting out of the box, but when placed, not a HUGE difference. But a noticeable difference none the less. Even the Mrs. thinks they look better than the Montis after they were placed. She was nervous when I took them out of the box.

Your mileage may vary on this, depending on your set up.

I hope my description made sense. I will try to get a pic for you tonight if you need.

Mobs, from your description you should still bring your speakers out another couple of feet if you can.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mobs View Post
    I do as well.

Was this Sound Advice? Any other tips? Looking for impression in walnut. Are they selling their demos or are these new? Do you have a contact for me to look into purchasing one?

Thanks
    Joey "kid with grey hair" V
    System 1: Emm Labs TSDX Transport -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Cary SLP-05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp -> B&W 802D3, AQ WEL Power Cords, AQ WEL Speaker Wire, AQ Wind (reterminating to XLR)
    System 2: Rotel RA1592 Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    System 3: Rotel RC1570 Preamp -> Rotel RB1582 Stereo Amp -> B&W CM10s2 (ESL11a replacement??)