Thread: planning a new, but used system

Default planning a new, but used system

I am new to this site and have been away from high end audio for almost 20 years. My life in a wheelchair combined with a small home made a good system very difficult. Meeting my wife to be has led to a new home and fairly large room that's just right for a good system. I have accumulated a system that will soon be installed and had to do it on a small budget. I would welcome feedback to make my system work at it's maximum ability. Here is what I have acquired:
    Rotel RSP 1098
    Rotel RMB 1095
    ROTEL RDV 1080
    5 Martin Logan Fresco
    2 HSU Research VTF1 mk3
    TCL 4K 55 inch TV
    Last edited by this4uk; 12-13-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by this4uk View Post
    I am new to this site and have been away from high end audio for almost 20 years. My life in a wheelchair combined with a small home made a good system very difficult. Meeting my wife to be has led to a new home and fairly large room that's just right for a good system. I have accumulated a system that will soon be installed and had to do it on a small budget. I would welcome feedback to make my system work at it's maximum ability. Here is what I have acquired:
    Rotel RSP 1098
    Rotel RMB 1095
    ROTEL RDV 1080
    5 Martin Logan Fresco
    2 HSU Research VTF1 mk3
    TCL 4K 55 inch TV
    Hi This. So you say 'a new used system'. Are you planning on replacing what you have? Are you looking for home theater or multi channel advice? Or do you want a killer stereo system? Given all of this - and if you are looking at changing things - what is your price point and what in your system now would you like to improve?

I acquired this setup used, except the HSU subs and TV. I have past experience and great results with HSU research. I have no experience with Martin Logan. I am hoping to get some advice on tweaks, placement, or anything helpful regarding the ML Fresco. This is the system I'm going with for now. February is my installation month. The Fresco will be wall mounted to save floor space for me and my wheelchair.

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by this4uk View Post
    I acquired this setup used, except the HSU subs and TV. I have past experience and great results with HSU research. I have no experience with Martin Logan. I am hoping to get some advice on tweaks, placement, or anything helpful regarding the ML Fresco. This is the system I'm going with for now. February is my installation month. The Fresco will be wall mounted to save floor space for me and my wheelchair.
    Well others can chime in.

Is this a dedicated room? What are the dimensions? Where is the tv going? See since you have settled in on the equipment the only thing to do is maximize what you have. To me - that would be by making the room acoustically the best it can be by considering room treatments. I have ordered from gik acoustics as have many others. But until you have things in the room to see how it sounds...I think it would be tough to know what you need

I have no experience w the fresco.

Welcome to the site. Not really sure there is much advice to be given. Most regular posters here use (or have used in the past) Martin Logan’s electrostatic panel speakers, which is their high end line. The fresco’s are really more of a home theater speaker, although a very nice one. Where you mount them on the wall will really just depend on your room, your tv, and your seating arrangement. How good your sound is will probably mostly depend on where and how you set up your subs, which again will depend on your room. As timm mentioned, acoustic treatments can help solve a lot of issues created by the room, particularly in regards to the bass.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.