Thread: CLX Black Ash close up

Default CLX Black Ash close up

Looking for a good close up picture of a CLX with the Black Ash stock finish. Wanting to see in particular the wood, color and grain structure. The hybrids are veneer which is quite different from solid wood. The subs Tops are solid wood but not quite sure they are representative of a CLX in black ash. Would like to see a close up picture like a foot away and then maybe a couple further back. I think there used to be samples back in the day that would be great also. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by GW1800; 12-05-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Music Rm #503: CLX Art DC / 2-212's / Bricasti M12/28's / Aurender N10 / Nordost: O2 Loom / V2 Pwr Spk & Subs, QX4, QV2, QK1, QB8, Sort Fut, Lift & TC Kones, QKore 6, Earth Grd, Acoustical Panels Media Rm #504: 13A's Balsalt Blk /Descent i's / Vanquish / Focus / Parasound 3-A23 & 31 / 65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60 / Nordost V2/T2/H2 Pwr & IC, H2 HDMI & Net, QK1, QV2, QB8 & QX2 / Entreq SM / SBooster / Sony 4K Blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by GW1800 View Post
    Looking for a good close up picture of a CLX with the Black Ash stock finish. Wanting to see in particular the wood, color and grain structure. The hybrids are veneer which is quite different from solid wood. The subs Tops are solid wood but not quite sure they are representative of a CLX in black ash. Would like to see a close up picture like a foot away and then maybe a couple further back. I think there used to be samples back in the day that would be great also. Thanks in advance
    Thanks Mike. As you know I am about to purchase these CLX's and really would love to see the best possible close up pic.

Come on folks lets share some love AND pics.

Just email MartinLogan. I'm sure they can provide a pic, perhaps even send a CLX Black Ash veneer sample for nominal charge.
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
    Click here to see my entire sytem. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Just email MartinLogan. I'm sure they can provide a pic, perhaps even send a CLX Black Ash veneer sample for nominal charge.

Of course I've done all that...and no they don't have any samples. I've even corresponded with Dennis Churn from ML.

Mike, I believe the frames on CLX's are solid wood. If the veneer they use on other speakers is plain slice it will look just like a flat cut board. The appearance of the grain would be the same.

Our of curiosity what is your concern with veneer vs solid.

My 4 Depth i subs are black ash. It looks no different than plain slice ash veneer I have painted black in the past.
    Last edited by Brad225; 12-06-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad225 View Post
    Mike, I believe the frames on CLX's are solid wood. If the veneer they use on other speakers is plain slice it will look just like a flat cut board. The appearance of the grain would be the same.

Our of curiosity what is your concern with veneer vs solid.

My 4 Depth i subs are black ash. It looks no different than plain slice ash veneer I have painted black in the past.
    You would think but the solid wood does look different at least on the CLX then the veneer. I have the Summit X's in black ash and that is a much more uniform finer grain then what I saw on a CLX with Black Ash. Its just crazy you would think someone on this forum or ML would have pictures but so far not.
    Music Rm #503: CLX Art DC / 2-212's / Bricasti M12/28's / Aurender N10 / Nordost: O2 Loom / V2 Pwr Spk & Subs, QX4, QV2, QK1, QB8, Sort Fut, Lift & TC Kones, QKore 6, Earth Grd, Acoustical Panels Media Rm #504: 13A's Balsalt Blk /Descent i's / Vanquish / Focus / Parasound 3-A23 & 31 / 65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60 / Nordost V2/T2/H2 Pwr & IC, H2 HDMI & Net, QK1, QV2, QB8 & QX2 / Entreq SM / SBooster / Sony 4K Blu-ray