Thread: Ascent i - any known issues

Default Ascent i - any known issues

Looking to buy a pair of Ascent i's. Any know issues with these speakers (panels, drivers, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by sgtshultz View Post
    Looking to buy a pair of Ascent i's. Any know issues with these speakers (panels, drivers, etc...).
    Not really, at least that I know of. They are old and could be nearing end of panel life, depending on how well they were cared for. You may want to call ML customer service and ask if they still offer replacement panels and what they cost, just so you know what you are facing if a panel does fail. Having said that, I have a pair of seventeen-year old Ascents and they still sound great.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Super User

Paired with a descent sub and decent amplification ...easily one of the best bang for buck speakers bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by timm View Post
    Paired with a descent sub and decent amplification ...easily one of the best bang for buck speakers bar none.
    Agreed, timm. I also highly recommend biamping them, with 200 to 400 wpc solid state amps on the woofers and a tube amp on the panels. That setup makes the Ascents sing.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Super User

Ascent'i' is my favorite ML: glued clearspar Gen2 panel should way outlast the earlier double sided foam types; aluminum cone woofer is phenomenal; cabinet is thick-walled; straightforward to convert to active xo on the bass (and then no sub is needed).
    It is still possible for the panel to slip down in this generation of ML, but easy to spot.