Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Gear Out; New Gear Incoming!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gray View Post
    Hi Rich,

I have read that some CJ owners do not hear the change in sound with CJ's top versus their standard "stock" caps. I find that hard to believe based on my experience with the ET5 pre. To my ear, the difference after 400 - 500 hours of play time was night and day. When I first installed and listened to the new pre with the CJ stock 6922 tube, I was very disappointed in the performance (my Premier 18LS sounded so much better in every way) and would have sold it if I had a buyer. After burn in and some tube rolling, I'm very glad I did not.

But as they say, YMMV.

Enjoy your new transport my friend.

Gordon
    I have to admit, Gordon, I didn’t really notice any obvious changes with my Premier 17 LS2 pre (which came with the Teflon caps). But then, I bought it as a dealer demo and have no idea how many hours it had on it when I placed it in my system. Plus, that was at the beginning of my hifi journey and my setup wasn’t the best for critical listening, nor were my ears attuned to the nuances that are so obvious to me now. So the jury is still out on that one, from my personal perspective.

If I do decide to send the Premier 140 off for the Cap upgrade sometime soon, I guess I’ll have to pull the Sanders monoblocs back out to listen to the new disc player for a couple of months. That’s probably a good thing, as I need to get some pictures of them and get them boxed up to sell. Along with the AR Ref 3 and more than a few speakers.

Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

400-500 hours with sub-standard sounding caps is possibly going to be a real ****er and require a huge amount of faith.

I hope they sound OK from the word go and just get better and better. Which they might.

Good luck Rich.

If you like the amps as they are you could always use the same caps. But I think the ones you have will prolly last much longer

I remember putting some new caps, 16 of them in an amp, and they sounded dreadful. Wrecked the amp. So in went another 16. ELNA. I like ELNA Silmic caps they were as good as the Rubycons that were their predecessors in that amp. Very reasonably priced, too.
    Last edited by User211; 12-03-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Hi Rich, congrats on the new transport, sure sounds like the ultimate spinning disc player.
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

HAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Justin - never afraid of a system shot.
    Nice amps Justin. If those Ayons sound as good as their little Triton integrated then I'm sure they sound wonderful.

See here:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...l=1#post141717
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

The Ayons are long gone now. I had the opportunity to get them at a great price, but I still didn't think it worth paying.

I don't really miss them, but I do remember them in a good light. Crazy design really. Absolutely barking. And here's an interesting fact - the 20 KT150s generated a lot less heat than the four 211s in the AA amps!

Looking back at that thread it is a shame Todd left. Used to really enjoy that dude's posts.

Still waiting on my new DirectStream Memory Player. PS Audio has a new firmware update coming out Friday for the DirectStream DAC, and according to Paul McGowan, the improvements are amazing. I guess I’ll need to hold off updating for a little while so I can audition the new Player with the firmware version I’m familiar with before I update it and see the improvements brought by the new firmware.

I have to say, I know of no other audio company that works so hard to continue to improve a product I have already purchased. Kudos to Paul and PS Audio.

Timm, let me know your thoughts on the new firmware once you give it a listen.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Lots of changes to my system over the holiday. I received my DirectStream Memory Player and have been burning it in. It sounds divine. So happy to be able to play the DSD layer on my SACDs in my main system again. The DMP is a big step up from the Perfect Wave Transport that preceded it.

I also updated my DAC to the latest firmware version, known as “Redcloud.” The first time I got a bad load and it didn’t sound right. So I reformatted my SD card and did it again. Now it sounds wonderful. The soundstage has expanded, which is a little too much as my speakers are pretty far apart as it is. I moved them in a little and that helped somewhat. Still have a little tweaking to do, methinks.

The other big change is that I finally got around to installing my Sonictransporter and setting up Roon to serve my ripped flac files to my Bridge II network card in the DirectStream DAC. Roon seems awesome and I will spend a good bit of time today learning and playing with it. Now I can finally browse my music library on my iPad and stream my music directly to my high end 2-channel system. Happy Camper!
    Rich

Guess I'm the dinosaur (of sorts) here....still playing with vinyl.

I was never happy that I had to use the gain control on my ARC SP9 MKII at about 3 o'clock (i.e. close to maximum), so decided to build a step-up transformer using two Beyerdynamic microphone transformers ($100 on eBay). I did a build in a cheap case, and it sounded amazing.....used it at around 11-12 o'clock, more dynamic and resolving. But the case was light and was lifted by the connecting cables....tail wagging the dog? So I decided to put it into a more substantial case, enclosing the whole thing. Finally got the case off the slow boat from China. However, in the last few months I've been hit by an old health problem, so had to put it aside for lack of energy to do it. Got some good drugs, which are working, but will take time to get back to it.

Also waiting is an IEC connector to replace the captive power cord on the SP9, so I can use a Foundation Research power conditioner to power it. I already have the power conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Guess I'm the dinosaur (of sorts) here....still playing with vinyl.
    No, Bernard. Haven’t you heard? Vinyl is hip again! I was in a Barnes and Noble bookstore over the holidays, and they had stacks and stacks of newly-pressed vinyl, but hardly any CDs.

There’s no going back for me, though. I’m just not careful and meticulous enough to keep my vinyl in pristine condition, and I hate all the pops and ticks from the scratches.
    Rich

Super User

Rich I am anxious to hear your thoughts on the memory player. I'm planning to replace my Ayre C5xe with one of these to pair with my ps audio direct stream DAC. I also have a boatload of SACDs I am dying to hear. What HDMI cable are you using with yours?
    Wherever you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai
    System 186 HERE

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
    Rich I am anxious to hear your thoughts on the memory player. I'm planning to replace my Ayre C5xe with one of these to pair with my ps audio direct stream DAC. I also have a boatload of SACDs I am dying to hear. What HDMI cable are you using with yours?
    C5xe is an SACD player, isn't it?
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

Super User

Yes the C5xe plays everything except Blu Ray.
    Wherever you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai
    System 186 HERE