Cables: How Important is Equal Length?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There will only be an improvement if you think there should be one. Otherwise it won't matter. You asked for our thoughts. Those are mine.

For power cords just get something that is adequate to handle the current with solid end connectors and you are golden. Anything past that is an absolute waste of money and a scam.
It may be true for you, but not so for me. I've had the good luck to experiment with four different Acoustic Zen interconnects, and they each sound different, confirmed by blind listening tests. However, I have no opinion on power cables, though the arguments for them *seem* plausible.
Hammer, If there is a synergy between your equipment and they are well suited to each other then there is a good chance you will hear a difference. This also assumes that your system is properly set up and your room is acoustically treated. It is not just a matter of putting a new cable in a system.

I am not making this comment relating to your current system. Just in general before spending money on better cables.
The reason I'm in need of new cables is because I've moved my speakers to a more appropriate position, which requires me to place the electronics on the opposite side of the room - hence the 15' length and question about the importance of equal length. The mix of copper and silver *sounds* like a good idea, being a mix of characteristics of both. I've heard the difference between the silver and copper interconnects, and am looking forward to the new cables. They should be here by this weekend. I'll report back with my impressions later.

Is there a way I can burn the cables in without having to run the speakers? I seem to recall reading something about attaching a resistor or some sort of 'load' so I can run them the 40-ish recommend hours without being kept up all night.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you want to burn them in I would plug them into something that would draw current through them. A Fan, portable heater (probably good in Pa this time of year) radio or amp. I would think the more current you run through them the quicker it would happen. The wire doesn't know what it is plugged into.

Heh... yeah, been pretty nippy here lately.

Would a 200 watt bulb per side do the trick?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

OK .......I'm taking a deep breath ........ why ....why, are you worried about 'running' the speakers ???? For Gods sakes plug the freakin' cable in and enjoy what you're listening to !!!!!!!

No, repeat no cable, power or otherwise will change that much that you can't enjoy the music and if it does (in your mind) look in the mirror and tell yourself you made a mistake !!!!!

OK .......I'm taking a deep breath ........ why ....why, are you worried about 'running' the speakers ???? For Gods sakes plug the freakin' cable in and enjoy what you're listening to !!!!!!!

No, repeat no cable, power or otherwise will change that much that you can't enjoy the music and if it does (in your mind) look in the mirror and tell yourself you made a mistake !!!!!

That is wrong on so many levels I can’t even try to list them. Of course cables matter and break in does happen. Not that you can’t listen but if critical listening is your goal please breakin first if you can.

That is wrong on so many levels I can’t even try to list them. Of course cables matter and break in does happen. Not that you can’t listen but if critical listening is your goal please breakin first if you can.

you missed my point ............enjoy the music !

The problem with so many silly audiophiles is they DO NOT listen to the music, rather their damn equipment !
Listen, I admit getting caught in that 'web' as well. In these times of internet forums it is so easy to get caught up in the hype, psyche and just downright envy of all the various equipment discussions. Not to mention folks posting up their system to ogle over (myself included) that have us many times just chasing our tails.

Tom said it best a few weeks ago when he replied to a post stating he was no longer on the 'merry-go-round' !

as for me being wrong on so may levels........go ahead, list them, be sure to back them up with science not pseudo audiophile BS !

Last edited:
you missed my point ............enjoy the music !

The problem with so many silly audiophiles is they DO NOT listen to the music, rather their damn equipment !

as for me being wrong on so may levels........go ahead, list them, be sure to back them up with science not pseudo audiophile BS !

Yes!!!!!

:rocker:

And yes, there is absolutely no change made to wiring by using it UNLESS you are running it past it's rating and are melting it.

The only component that requires break in is a woofer and that takes a surprisingly short amount of time. What you are doing is breaking in your ears and getting used to how something sounds.

Electrolytic capacitors do dry out over time and that could impact sound quality if the design doesn't take this into account.

It may be true for you, but not so for me. I've had the good luck to experiment with four different Acoustic Zen interconnects, and they each sound different, confirmed by blind listening tests. However, I have no opinion on power cables, though the arguments for them *seem* plausible.
The reason I'm in need of new cables is because I've moved my speakers to a more appropriate position, which requires me to place the electronics on the opposite side of the room - hence the 15' length and question about the importance of equal length. The mix of copper and silver *sounds* like a good idea, being a mix of characteristics of both. I've heard the difference between the silver and copper interconnects, and am looking forward to the new cables. They should be here by this weekend. I'll report back with my impressions later.

Is there a way I can burn the cables in without having to run the speakers? I seem to recall reading something about attaching a resistor or some sort of 'load' so I can run them the 40-ish recommend hours without being kept up all night.

Hammer, for my clarity. Are you talking about power cable or speaker cables? The way I read it was you were talking speaker cable at first but now it seems to be power cable.

Speaker cables. The set from Frank should be here any day.

I do have questions about power cables, though. Some time back, I came across this blog, and it presented what seemed like a credible argument for why 'custom' power cables were important, and I'm guessing especially so given the power cords will need to be the same length, and run in close proximity to, the speaker cables. So, I'll submit it to you guys for discussion.
http://image99.net/blog/files/category-002ahelix-power-cable.html

Speaker cables. The set from Frank should be here any day.

I do have questions about power cables, though. Some time back, I came across this blog, and it presented what seemed like a credible argument for why 'custom' power cables were important, and I'm guessing especially so given the power cords will need to be the same length, and run in close proximity to, the speaker cables. So, I'll submit it to you guys for discussion.
http://image99.net/blog/files/category-002ahelix-power-cable.html

Custom power cables are utter and complete BS and a waste of money.

People can come up with technobabble to confuse people, but it is still complete BS.

Think for a minute about the many feet of solid core romex running through your walls before it gets to your outlets. Sticking some exotic cable between the outlets and the amp, speakers, and peripherals is an absolute nothing burger!

Copper / silver / aluminum / gold it does not matter one bit!

Your power has run through at least aluminum, steel and copper before you see it. It ends up also running through tin and frequently lead inside your electronics.

This is so much complete BS! Please do not be fooled!

Last edited:
Based on that rationale, there ought not to be any difference between amps, preamp or interconnects, but there is. Sunlight travels billions of miles to get here, so are polarized sunglasses are just marketing hype?

What I'm getting at is that there may be hundreds of miles of wire before the wall socket, but it's what happens in the last steps between the wall and the speakers that makes the magic.

Based on that rationale, there ought not to be any difference between amps, preamp or interconnects, but there is. Sunlight travels billions of miles to get here, so are polarized sunglasses are just marketing hype?

What I'm getting at is that there may be hundreds of miles of wire before the wall socket, but it's what happens in the last steps between the wall and the speakers that makes the magic.

You are absolutely right in your thinking! This is kind of turning into "do more expensive/different designed cables matter thread" which is problematic at best. Many like RCHeliGuy have entrenched opinions because they can't make sense of it yet have never actually demoed better/more expensive cables. They can't get beyond their own rationale so they won't even experiment. The better approach is use your ears. I fully admit I don't understand the reasons they sound better (yet the manufactures have all kinds of reasons some more believable then others) but I know my ears tell me they do so that is enough logic for me. I encourage you to experiment, listen and then purchase as your ears inform you. By the way power cables have the biggest bang for the buck in my opinion and should be the first to experiment/upgrade.

Last edited:
happens in the last steps between the wall and the speakers that makes the magic.

Yes components need to be matched well.

The output stage of a pre-amp and the input stage of the amp need to work well together.
An amplifier has to be designed to handle the impedance of your speakers and there are many amplifier designs and they can sound different.
Speakers have different sensitivities and require different amounts of power to drive well.

So yes the word "synergy" between components is VERY valid.

There are components that play better with each other than other components. No argument there.

The word I have an issue with is "magic" and as long as a person believes in magic than they are easy prey.

Getting back to power cables.

They come BEFORE the music chain, just like the many feet of solid core ROMEX in your walls. They are NOT part of the equation just because you can see them. They can not have any impact. It is impossible as long as they make a good connection to the wall socket and to the component they are powering and are adequately rated for the power.

Power is a very simple 60 Hz wave and that wave is completely isolated from the music chain because electronics turn it into DC power before it gets to any music section.

Issues with power like grounding issues etc.. happen because of the wiring in your walls and junction boxes.

Last edited:
To the contrary, that power cord rational is based on Ohm's & Kirchhoff's Law.

That's the best way to plant "alternate facts". You sprinkle in a little bit of reality and try leveraging that to lend credibility to the outright lies.

OK, look. We get it. You don't think that any cables of any type make a difference. Fine. But my experience tells me differently. So please allow us to indulge our own delusions so I can explore my own concerns in my own thread?

Thanks.

Back