Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cables: How Important is Equal Length?

Super User

Excellent guys. Thanks.

OK, fellas. I ordered a 15' set of Silver Resolution speaker cables to replace the Acoustic Zenith Satori I have now which I've had on loan for a shamefully long period of time.

I'm tempted by doing the same for interconnects. Right now I'm running Acoustic Zenith Matrix Reference II XLR from a Krell KRC3 to my Bryson 4BST, and their Silver Reference II from my DAC to Preamp. Do you guys have any thoughts whether there would be any sort of improvement, or should I stick with what I have?

Also, I'll need power cables to make the new distance. Should I go with Frank's or would you recommend Blue Jeans for that?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Krell KRC-3 / Bryston 4B-ST / ReQuest 2nd Gen / HiFiBerry DAC

Hammer, Franks in a heart beat ........... that's what I use with zero complaints.
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    OK, fellas. I ordered a 15' set of Silver Resolution speaker cables to replace the Acoustic Zenith Satori I have now which I've had on loan for a shamefully long period of time.

I'm tempted by doing the same for interconnects. Right now I'm running Acoustic Zenith Matrix Reference II XLR from a Krell KRC3 to my Bryson 4BST, and their Silver Reference II from my DAC to Preamp. Do you guys have any thoughts whether there would be any sort of improvement, or should I stick with what I have?

Also, I'll need power cables to make the new distance. Should I go with Frank's or would you recommend Blue Jeans for that?

There will only be an improvement if you think there should be one. Otherwise it won't matter. You asked for our thoughts. Those are mine.

For power cords just get something that is adequate to handle the current with solid end connectors and you are golden. Anything past that is an absolute waste of money and a scam.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Hammer, If there is a synergy between your equipment and they are well suited to each other then there is a good chance you will hear a difference. This also assumes that your system is properly set up and your room is acoustically treated. It is not just a matter of putting a new cable in a system.

I am not making this comment relating to your current system. Just in general before spending money on better cables.

Quote Originally Posted by RCHeliGuy View Post
    There will only be an improvement if you think there should be one. Otherwise it won't matter. You asked for our thoughts. Those are mine.

For power cords just get something that is adequate to handle the current with solid end connectors and you are golden. Anything past that is an absolute waste of money and a scam.
    It may be true for you, but not so for me. I've had the good luck to experiment with four different Acoustic Zen interconnects, and they each sound different, confirmed by blind listening tests. However, I have no opinion on power cables, though the arguments for them *seem* plausible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad225 View Post
    Hammer, If there is a synergy between your equipment and they are well suited to each other then there is a good chance you will hear a difference. This also assumes that your system is properly set up and your room is acoustically treated. It is not just a matter of putting a new cable in a system.

I am not making this comment relating to your current system. Just in general before spending money on better cables.
    The reason I'm in need of new cables is because I've moved my speakers to a more appropriate position, which requires me to place the electronics on the opposite side of the room - hence the 15' length and question about the importance of equal length. The mix of copper and silver *sounds* like a good idea, being a mix of characteristics of both. I've heard the difference between the silver and copper interconnects, and am looking forward to the new cables. They should be here by this weekend. I'll report back with my impressions later.

Is there a way I can burn the cables in without having to run the speakers? I seem to recall reading something about attaching a resistor or some sort of 'load' so I can run them the 40-ish recommend hours without being kept up all night.

Last edited by Hammerhead; 01-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.

If you want to burn them in I would plug them into something that would draw current through them. A Fan, portable heater (probably good in Pa this time of year) radio or amp. I would think the more current you run through them the quicker it would happen. The wire doesn't know what it is plugged into.

Heh... yeah, been pretty nippy here lately.

Would a 200 watt bulb per side do the trick?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It will move current though it is only 1.6 amps. That doesn't mean it won't do the trick. I'm no E.E. though.

OK .......I'm taking a deep breath ........ why ....why, are you worried about 'running' the speakers ???? For Gods sakes plug the freakin' cable in and enjoy what you're listening to !!!!!!!

No, repeat no cable, power or otherwise will change that much that you can't enjoy the music and if it does (in your mind) look in the mirror and tell yourself you made a mistake !!!!!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by twich54 View Post
    OK .......I'm taking a deep breath ........ why ....why, are you worried about 'running' the speakers ???? For Gods sakes plug the freakin' cable in and enjoy what you're listening to !!!!!!!

No, repeat no cable, power or otherwise will change that much that you can't enjoy the music and if it does (in your mind) look in the mirror and tell yourself you made a mistake !!!!!
    That is wrong on so many levels I can’t even try to list them. Of course cables matter and break in does happen. Not that you can’t listen but if critical listening is your goal please breakin first if you can.
    Music Rm #503: CLX Art DC / 2-212's / Bricasti M12/28's / Aurender N10 / Nordost: O2 Loom / V2 Pwr Spk & Subs, QX4, QV2, QK1, QB8, Sort Fut, Lift & TC Kones, QKore 6, Earth Grd, Acoustical Panels Media Rm #504: 13A's Balsalt Blk /Descent i's / Vanquish / Focus / Parasound 3-A23 & 31 / 65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60 / Nordost V2/T2/H2 Pwr & IC, H2 HDMI & Net, QK1, QV2, QB8 & QX2 / Entreq SM / SBooster / Sony 4K Blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by GW1800 View Post
    That is wrong on so many levels I can’t even try to list them. Of course cables matter and break in does happen. Not that you can’t listen but if critical listening is your goal please breakin first if you can.
    you missed my point ............enjoy the music !

The problem with so many silly audiophiles is they DO NOT listen to the music, rather their damn equipment !
    Listen, I admit getting caught in that 'web' as well. In these times of internet forums it is so easy to get caught up in the hype, psyche and just downright envy of all the various equipment discussions. Not to mention folks posting up their system to ogle over (myself included) that have us many times just chasing our tails.

Tom said it best a few weeks ago when he replied to a post stating he was no longer on the 'merry-go-round' !

as for me being wrong on so may levels........go ahead, list them, be sure to back them up with science not pseudo audiophile BS !
    Last edited by twich54; Yesterday at 10:04 AM.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by twich54 View Post
    you missed my point ............enjoy the music !

The problem with so many silly audiophiles is they DO NOT listen to the music, rather their damn equipment !

as for me being wrong on so may levels........go ahead, list them, be sure to back them up with science not pseudo audiophile BS !
    Yes!!!!!

And yes, there is absolutely no change made to wiring by using it UNLESS you are running it past it's rating and are melting it.

The only component that requires break in is a woofer and that takes a surprisingly short amount of time. What you are doing is breaking in your ears and getting used to how something sounds.

Electrolytic capacitors do dry out over time and that could impact sound quality if the design doesn't take this into account.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    It may be true for you, but not so for me. I've had the good luck to experiment with four different Acoustic Zen interconnects, and they each sound different, confirmed by blind listening tests. However, I have no opinion on power cables, though the arguments for them *seem* plausible.
    The reason I'm in need of new cables is because I've moved my speakers to a more appropriate position, which requires me to place the electronics on the opposite side of the room - hence the 15' length and question about the importance of equal length. The mix of copper and silver *sounds* like a good idea, being a mix of characteristics of both. I've heard the difference between the silver and copper interconnects, and am looking forward to the new cables. They should be here by this weekend. I'll report back with my impressions later.

Is there a way I can burn the cables in without having to run the speakers? I seem to recall reading something about attaching a resistor or some sort of 'load' so I can run them the 40-ish recommend hours without being kept up all night.

Hammer, for my clarity. Are you talking about power cable or speaker cables? The way I read it was you were talking speaker cable at first but now it seems to be power cable.

Speaker cables. The set from Frank should be here any day.

I do have questions about power cables, though. Some time back, I came across this blog, and it presented what seemed like a credible argument for why 'custom' power cables were important, and I'm guessing especially so given the power cords will need to be the same length, and run in close proximity to, the speaker cables. So, I'll submit it to you guys for discussion.
    http://image99.net/blog/files/catego...wer-cable.html