Descent I problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSingh

Reaction score
Hello, I have a pair of Descent I's mated to CLX. System was not in use for a few months and after firing it up, the Descents give a constant throbbing sound. Even when the RCA lead is disconnected, this persists. I guess this points to the onboard Amps failing in some way but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this.

regards

Hola SSingh. It looks more that you have a ground loop problem. Usually comes from the potential difference between the ground from the tv cables outside of the house, at the post and the ground of your house. Just do this simple test: disconnect the coaxial cable coming from the cable company to the TV or to the cable box channel selector. You are going to be without TV signal for the mean time of the test of course. Then connect the RCA to the sub. If the noise is gone, then what you need is a ground suppressor loop. A device that you can get at amazon.com. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ground+loop+isolator

Happy listening!

Hello, I have a pair of Descent I's mated to CLX. System was not in use for a few months and after firing it up, the Descents give a constant throbbing sound. Even when the RCA lead is disconnected, this persists. I guess this points to the onboard Amps failing in some way but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this.

regards

If it sounds like a machine gun firing (loud), then you have woofer amp(s) problem. In my case, one of the amps had caught fire, knocking out the power supply board and all the other 2 amps and all the 3 speaker units. Traumatic experience.
Descent-i _1.jpg
Hope this isn't happening to yours.

Ben

Latest posts

Back