SACD Player Recomendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like marantz sacd players . they are pretty good vfm and good build quality and easy to sell on when you upgrade . currently using a humble sa8005 but its not bad at all

Doesn't the SA10 get some great reviews?

Still love my ps audio directstream though. Getting another free upgrade in a week or so. Fun factor thru the roof.

Still love my ps audio directstream though. Getting another free upgrade in a week or so. Fun factor thru the roof.

Minor thread hijack here. I haven’t been keeping up with the PS Audio forums lately. What’s coming in another week or so? New firmware update, I suppose? I wouldn’t have thought Ted could top the current iteration. It’s amazing!

Back to the thread... I have one of the early Marantz SACD players (SA-11S1) in my secondary system. It’s very good. Doesn’t hold a candle to my PS Audio Memory Player / DirectStream DAC, though. In fact, I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anything that does, and I’ve listened to a LOT of high end systems.

Back to the thread... I have one of the early Marantz SACD players (SA-11S1) in my secondary system. It’s very good. Doesn’t hold a candle to my PS Audio Memory Player / DirectStream DAC, though. In fact, I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anything that does, and I’ve listened to a LOT of high end systems.

Rich, how long is the umbilical cord that runs between the two pieces ? I just may give this a second thought

Rich, how long is the umbilical cord that runs between the two pieces ? I just may give this a second thought

It can be as long or short as you want. Mine’s about two feet, I think. It’s basically just an HDMI cable used for an I2s connection. Any HDMI cable will work, but of course there are endless debates as to which ones “sound” best. If you wanted to go budget, you could use any transport to play the disc and just get the DAC. Or you could get the DSD jr. DAC and save some money. But if you splurge for the premium combo, I don’t think you will regret the decision.

Minor thread hijack here. I haven’t been keeping up with the PS Audio forums lately. What’s coming in another week or so? New firmware update, I suppose? I wouldn’t have thought Ted could top the current iteration. It’s amazing!

Yes Rich a new upgrade called redcloud. It is an fpga upgrade. I've only heard that it lowers the noise floor once again at lower volumes, bass is better, and voices are more pinpoint and clearer. Only a couple people got beta because Ted wanted to see if their particular issues went away.

I thought Wadia was now part of the Audio Research group.

They are, Bernard. But apparently they are the red-headed stepchild, particularly in regards to repairs of their CD players. I checked out the thread Gordon was referring to on the other forum, and apparently that shop he listed is an independent authorized repair center that ARC refers people to for service of older Wadia products. I remember talking to ARC years ago about getting this unit repaired and they weren’t too keen on messing with it, so I’m not surprised with this development.

well after given a 'heads up' by Anthony (asindc) I purchase a used 'freshened up' 306 Pro from Cary Audio.

well after given a 'heads up' by Anthony (asindc) I purchase a used 'freshened up' 306 Pro from Cary Audio.

His? Let us know how it is. They sure look sweet and if it has a warmer presentation - me likey.
Love the old Cary. Hoping they can find their way with current business model.

His? Let us know how it is. They sure look sweet and if it has a warmer presentation - me likey.
Love the old Cary. Hoping they can find their way with current business model.

no Tim, this is a unit sold directly from Cary (used, refurbished with new laser and loading mechanism plus warranty) fully gone over (so I'm told) stem to stern delivered to my door for less than $2700 ! Pretty decent IMO for a player that msrp'd new for 8k

no Tim, this is a unit sold directly from Cary (used, refurbished with new laser and loading mechanism plus warranty) fully gone over (so I'm told) stem to stern delivered to my door for less than $2700 ! Pretty decent IMO for a player that msrp'd new for 8k

I have a hunch this will be a winner. I like pretty much everything Cary makes. This one has the digital inputs too doesn't it? So you could STILL rip your disks!! :)

Sounds like a good deal, Dave. I expect you’ll be thrilled with it.

I have a hunch this will be a winner. I like pretty much everything Cary makes.

that makes two of us .........

This one has the digital inputs too doesn't it? So you could STILL rip your disks!! :)

yes and I have a 'Logitech' gizmo that my son gave me for Xmas last year with some other gizmo attached and about 500 + albums he ripped, zipped or whatever that waits my beckoning call, or push of a few buttons !

I am such Neanderthal !

Ok, Tim (timm) ask in another thread about my new (to me) Cary SACD 306 Pro. It arrived Fri, I've got it playing a little Diana Krall Christmas music right now.

My whole plan of attacked changed in the past couple of weeks regarding my initial start of this thread.......... my original Oppo BDP 83 gave up the ghost. So I went ahead and got a new Oppo 205 which resides in my HT set up in the family room. I then abandoned my thoughts of moving my Cary 306 into the HT set up and figured to keep it playing along in my two channel rig. Then I noticed the superb deal on the pre-owned 306 Pro on Cary's website. Now I have a nice 'Plain Jane' 306 that will be for sale.

As for the 306 Pro listening impressions so far............. 'body', there just seems if there is more body to the music / presentation. Truth be told the 306 is a fine player in it's own right so I wasn't exception a world of difference. It's just now re-enforced why I like the 'Cary sound'

Good call on the 306 Pro, I had the regular version before. 'Twas a good player.

I am going to keep mine until it needs another servicing.

I will have it "refurbbed", buy the Luxman D06U, and sell the 306.

Back